collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by OCD
[Today at 07:25:13 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by VillaTim
[Today at 07:22:39 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 07:19:40 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 07:17:56 PM]

Villa in Dreamland by Footy-Vill
[Today at 07:15:27 PM]

Kits 23/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 06:59:32 PM]

Olympiacos flights by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:57 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by LeeB
[Today at 06:34:42 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread  (Read 399579 times)

Offline Zouch Villa

• GM : 12.02.2024
Re: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread
« Reply #1200 on: January 08, 2023, 11:27:55 AM »
Let’s also not forget that he is very effective at attacking set pieces, contributing a respectable number of goals. I don’t think we have had that since Laursen.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #1201 on: January 08, 2023, 11:28:10 AM »
I would be concerned that we were filling our squad with aging players.  We already have Phil, and potentially Digne in that category for the next however many years.

I would like our recruitment policy to be based on more than players that have been good in the past and played for big clubs?

Its not that Maguire is bad, I just dont see it represents value for money - seems like a Gerrard era signing and I was hoping we would be a bit more imaginative going forward

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #1202 on: January 08, 2023, 11:28:59 AM »
Bednarek, Chambers, Konsa or Maguire, though?
Maguire would be my first choice from those 4

That's a loaded question, though - if you're saying the three mentioned aren't good enough, then 'better than them' is perhaps not saying much.
Maguire added to our defence roster to me would be in a head on team selection above Bednarek, Chambers or Konsa.
Is that better for you?

Not really. If he's here for six months while Diego Carlos gets up to speed and then goes back in the summer while we properly assess our defensive options then there is just about logic in it.

If the idea is that we're about to spend £30m+ on a new centre back, then we might as well spend it on someone more suitable than Maguire.

I'd be surprised if there is anything in it though.
Maguire is so far away from what actually need back there that I refuse to believe there's anything in it. It would make zero sense.
Is there nothing in it? Okay, nothing is sealed, but look at the facts.
Overnight, the betting markets shifted to odds on, and Maguire was photographed in a restaurant near Villa. There is evidence that he has visited Birmingham.
Aston Villa's owners also contributed £13.5 million to the club through a new share issue, indicating that a player transfer is imminent.

I think both of you, even if you're not in favour of it, can't deny there's an interest here and a move is looking likely.

It appears you want to deny it because it contradicts what you want to believe, and you want to precludes discussion on him moving here as it is now above punitive speculation.

I'm not in favour of either of your views on denying things on Maguire on a speculation thread.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 11:30:58 AM by Footy-Vill »

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #1203 on: January 08, 2023, 11:33:31 AM »
wouldnt this 13.5m be for the new left back?  The one thats pressumably going to replace the 25m we bought last year, currently on £160k a week.  Cant see us keep making the same "mistake"?

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #1204 on: January 08, 2023, 11:45:40 AM »
wouldnt this 13.5m be for the new left back?  The one thats pressumably going to replace the 25m we bought last year, currently on £160k a week.  Cant see us keep making the same "mistake"?
Yes, Alex Moreno appears to have signed, according to the much-maligned Football Insider, which appears to have a high degree of accuracy for transfer sources.
So that would explain a release of funds.
The Moreno and Maguire move would be interesting to see if either are permanent ones?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #1205 on: January 08, 2023, 11:48:10 AM »
I think both of you, even if you're not in favour of it, can't deny there's an interest here and a move is looking likely.

It's not impossible that there is an interest, but your list of evidence is about a million miles away from proof of it.

Online Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #1206 on: January 08, 2023, 11:50:02 AM »

Justification for changing both managers, but the left back situation is exactly why we could do with a decent manager that hangs around for more than two seasons.  So much unnecessary chopping and changing resulting in ridiculous waste.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #1207 on: January 08, 2023, 11:58:02 AM »

Justification for changing both managers, but the left back situation is exactly why we could do with a decent manager that hangs around for more than two seasons.  So much unnecessary chopping and changing resulting in ridiculous waste.

Left back has been a disaster area for us since Bouma blew his knee out on the roasting hot day in the Intertoto Cup.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1208 on: January 08, 2023, 12:01:23 PM »
Footy:

1) The betting markets move when people bet lots of money. This has happened because people have seen the photo of Maguire in a Birmingham restaurant and put two and two together, got five, and splashed out at the bookies, thus lowering the odds. It doesn't mean it's any more likely because of the odds.
2) The owners put money in periodically as working capital to keep the business afloat. It's not usually tied to football transfers directly, which are paid for over a longer period.
3) Football Insider are the biggest liars in the world, and never get anything right.

Online SamTheMouse

• Location: The Land of the Fragrant Founders of Human Rights, Fine Wines & Bikinis
  • GM : 03.11.2024
« Reply #1209 on: January 08, 2023, 12:05:27 PM »
Maguire would be fine, were it not for the fact that he basically already plays for us in the form of Mings. You ask those two to play a high line together, and you're going to see a fuckload of clips of them lumbering back towards an unprotected Martinez as the opposition striker motors past them like they're running in day-old Weetabix.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1210 on: January 08, 2023, 12:15:25 PM »
I dont mind him, I think on his day he's a fantastic centre half. I'm not sure he's what we néed though.

Online Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1211 on: January 08, 2023, 12:16:13 PM »
Is this Maguire's way of announcing his international retirement?

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1212 on: January 08, 2023, 12:17:57 PM »
I dont mind him, I think on his day he's a fantastic centre half. I'm not sure he's what we néed though.

I can't see any logic in it. If we were say in Newcastles position  and had just lost a key centre half to injury then maybe, but otherwise no.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #1213 on: January 08, 2023, 12:28:59 PM »
Maguire would be fine, were it not for the fact that he basically already plays for us in the form of Mings. You ask those two to play a high line together, and you're going to see a fuckload of clips of them lumbering back towards an unprotected Martinez as the opposition striker motors past them like they're running in day-old Weetabix.

Eeew, day-old Weetabix! And I say that as someone who has 3 of them for brekkie most mornings (I believe some greedy phuckers who post on here have four!).  But it does congeal all too readily so you do have to gobble it up fast. Makes you look greedy but the alternative, letting the milk dry in, doesn't bear thinking about.

Offline Footy-Vill

« Reply #1214 on: January 08, 2023, 12:40:14 PM »

Footy:

1) The betting markets move when people bet lots of money. This has happened because people have seen the photo of Maguire in a Birmingham restaurant and put two and two together, got five, and splashed out at the bookies, thus lowering the odds. It doesn't mean it's any more likely because of the odds.
2) The owners put money in periodically as working capital to keep the business afloat. It's not usually tied to football transfers directly, which are paid for over a longer period.
3) Football Insider are the biggest liars in the world, and never get anything right.
On your points
Point 1. No 2+2 doesn't make 5. In this instance what are you claiming doesn't add up?
Point2. Money is clearly for transfers
« Last Edit: January 08, 2023, 12:42:43 PM by Footy-Vill »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal