collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread  (Read 399669 times)

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
Re: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread
« Reply #1155 on: January 08, 2023, 01:30:06 AM »
The criticism of Maguire has been amplified to levels of parody in the last year or two.

We know how our Tyrone gets lambasted by non-Villa fans, it's always extremes with "the public" opinion on certain players.
Once they're labelled shite, that's it til they retire, regardless if their form improves and stays consistent.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1156 on: January 08, 2023, 02:08:01 AM »
I’m not a fan of Maguire mainly because his club form has dropped off so much. But for England it’s hard to deny he plays consistently well. That might be more to do with most of England’s opponents are average at best. But it’s also true that whenever he played next to Mings it’s been a solid partnership. Frankly I don’t want us signing a 29yr old who will be on big money. While not the worst things in the world of there is truth in it I hope there are better options out there.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #1157 on: January 08, 2023, 06:09:10 AM »
Wouldn’t like to see Maguire in an Villa shirt. At this stage would be a bit of a reclamation job. His build up play isn’t bad but he’s very one paced, not good enough technically to account for it and someone who can get turned easily.  Think we could do better.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #1158 on: January 08, 2023, 08:25:05 AM »
I don't want any play from that tramps spunk team

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #1159 on: January 08, 2023, 08:27:10 AM »
I thought Maguire was ok at Leicester but I wouldn’t want him here now. We need younger players on the up.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #1160 on: January 08, 2023, 08:49:55 AM »
1/5 on Skybet, obvs odds can move all over the place with a relatively small amount of money.

If it was a 6 month loan with an option, then fair enough. If we're spunking a lot of money on a fee and a contract then not fair enough. There must be better value out there. A Steve Bruce type signing.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1161 on: January 08, 2023, 08:51:49 AM »
I don't watch Man Utd, but I suspect some of the stick he's getting is because of the social media histrionics of their 'online' fanbase. I'm sure that if he came here he'd do fine.

I agree.  A no nonsense, tough defender who is much maligned because he went on holiday and seemed to cause a bit of trouble.  He'd do fine at Villa and we need to get over ourselves a bit.  He would lift the stature of the club.*

(*terms and conditions are included attached, if he doesn't sign, I never wanted the slab headed foreskin anyway!)

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #1162 on: January 08, 2023, 09:00:53 AM »
I know you can make a YouTube compilation to make players look great/shite, but some of the compilations of Maguire's recent Manure performances are laughably bad.

He plays OK for England because of how deep Southgate wants him to play, and there's 5 Dm's in front of him. If we signed him and attempt to play a high line it will be a disaster.

Incredibly slow on the turn and gets caught flat footed too often.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1163 on: January 08, 2023, 09:07:46 AM »
The criticism of Maguire has been amplified to levels of parody in the last year or two.

We know how our Tyrone gets lambasted by non-Villa fans, it's always extremes with "the public" opinion on certain players.
Once they're labelled shite, that's it til they retire, regardless if their form improves and stays consistent.

I think this is a good comparison, the perception of Mings between us lot and non Villa fans is chalk and cheese. Maguire has become a punchline for most football fans, I doubt he's that bad in reality.

Still a massively uninspiring signing though.

Online Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1164 on: January 08, 2023, 09:13:42 AM »
Elneny of Arsenal being linked by the Daily/Sunday Express!  Is he any good?  30 years old a supposed fee of around £6mill.

Offline Olof's Beard

« Reply #1165 on: January 08, 2023, 09:19:40 AM »
Maguire would be a really odd signing for the style of play Emery seems to be favour. If we are going to play a high line and squeeze the play then we need pace at the back. We repeatedly got turned around against Liverpool.

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #1166 on: January 08, 2023, 09:24:16 AM »
I can't see it, not with Carlos coming back. I reckon he'll bring in someone who he has worked with before if anybody.

Offline simboy

• GM : 05.11.2024
« Reply #1167 on: January 08, 2023, 09:27:48 AM »
Maguire to Villa can only be a (not very) subtle attempt by the English press to get him out of Southgate’s plans for the Euros.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #1168 on: January 08, 2023, 09:29:24 AM »
Maguire Makes little sense would be on a lot of wages and is older than the players we have a I can’t see that he is much of an upgrade.

If we’re to get a center back surely it needs to be one totally different from what we have? 

Plus Southgate would have to drop him from the England squad if he came here.

Think the majority of our budget needs to be focused on attacking options.  Bailey, Phil and Emi are too similar and two inconsistent

Offline Percy McCarthy

• King City Online
« Reply #1169 on: January 08, 2023, 09:33:55 AM »

I think this is a good comparison, the perception of Mings between us lot and non Villa fans is chalk and cheese. Maguire has become a punchline for most football fans, I doubt he's that bad in reality.

The Man Utd fans think he’s crap as well don’t they?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal