collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Dreams and Superstitions by Deano's Mullet
[Today at 11:18:42 PM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by Rudy Can't Fail
[Today at 11:09:02 PM]

NSWE Investment by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:57:51 PM]

Joe Gauci - Signed by Dogtanian
[Today at 10:55:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Bad English
[Today at 10:33:57 PM]

Claret membership by Bad English
[Today at 10:33:08 PM]

Fan Voted Player of the Year by trinityoap
[Today at 10:32:41 PM]

Champions League Contention by Bad English
[Today at 10:22:46 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread  (Read 399683 times)

Online Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
Re: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread
« Reply #675 on: December 28, 2022, 09:52:25 AM »
There’s some players you can see that won’t probably fit the way that Unai wants to play but he’s a top coach and I can see an improvement after a relatively short space of time.
His Villarreal team had a few in it that were bombed out of the premiership but he got a tune out of them. Newcastle, Brighton, Fulham, Brentford and Palace are ahead of us but imo their first team or squad overall are no better than ours.
I think a few tweaks rather than wholesale changes.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #676 on: December 28, 2022, 09:55:38 AM »
There’s some players you can see that won’t probably fit the way that Unai wants to play but he’s a top coach and I can see an improvement after a relatively short space of time.
His Villarreal team had a few in it that were bombed out of the premiership but he got a tune out of them. Newcastle, Brighton, Fulham, Brentford and Palace are ahead of us but imo their first team or squad overall are no better than ours.
A few tweaks ?
I think you are underestimating the task at hand.
To get by yes, but to challenge for Europe we need a much better first team.
But it won’t be achieved in one or two windows.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #677 on: December 28, 2022, 10:03:24 AM »
I don’t think Gerrard improved a single player whilst he was here, Emery will do that and has already started. Most of the first team squad have a lot more quality than they are showing.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #678 on: December 28, 2022, 10:06:37 AM »
I don’t think Gerrard improved a single player whilst he was here, Emery will do that and has already started. Most of the first team squad have a lot more quality than they are showing.
I think fans tend to rate our own players a lot higher than they really are.
What Howe has done at Newcastle is exceptional but I think it’s unrealistic to expect the same.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #679 on: December 28, 2022, 10:10:42 AM »
Perhaps that’s true and undoubtedly Howe is doing an incredible job. But I think 3/4 new starters and getting the same amount of current players performing at their peak will see us right.

« Reply #680 on: December 28, 2022, 10:10:59 AM »
Well we’ve played much better and got results with the same players but now they’re being instructed in a certain way so straight away there’s improvement with no money spent.
Put Carlos in with either of the centre halves and you’d hope that a decent partnership will form which would see Mings or Konsa improve. With Martinez behind our back 5 is decent. Newcastle have got Dan Burn playing left back and Schar who has a mistake in him (Mings). Put Ramsey in from Tuesday breaking the lines and there’s immediate improvement, Newcastle have got Longstaff and Willock.
Yes, Watkins is very wasteful but unless we can attract a £50/£60m striker that’s what you’ll get with most. Newcastle have Wilson who is a much better finisher but is injury prone.
We’ve got great potential out on loan. For me maybe 2/3 of the right players in we can bridge the gap.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #681 on: December 28, 2022, 10:11:50 AM »
I think we can all agree that we could do with another striker but I dont think that should mean Ollie being flogged. Whilst he's not prolific, he's still a decent player to have around.

That depends entirely on what we were offered for him though.

If someone brainless like Everton offers us 20m for him we should be shipping him out straight away IMO.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #682 on: December 28, 2022, 10:15:03 AM »
I think we can all agree that we could do with another striker but I dont think that should mean Ollie being flogged. Whilst he's not prolific, he's still a decent player to have around.

If someone brainless like Everton offers us 20m for him we should be shipping him out straight away IMO.

In today's market and the crazy prices teams pay, I think we'd get a bit more than that.

« Reply #683 on: December 28, 2022, 10:18:57 AM »

In today's market and the crazy prices teams pay, I think we'd get a bit more than that.

I’d bloody hope so!!

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #684 on: December 28, 2022, 10:24:13 AM »
We probably would but anything above 20 I’d take.

If someone offers us decent money then sell him. If nobody offers us what we want, then that in itself tells you something.

There’s no point keeping him around just because he seems a decent guy or through sentimentality while his value runs down alongside his contract.

He just isn’t good enough at this level.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #685 on: December 28, 2022, 10:27:09 AM »
Perhaps that’s true and undoubtedly Howe is doing an incredible job. But I think 3/4 new starters and getting the same amount of current players performing at their peak will see us right.
But what does “right” mean though?
Players performing at their peak! great players hit 7 out of 10 performances every week and often better that that. Our players are generally  6 out of 10 every week, some a better and as often worse.
If you expect top 6 then you have to have more top players.

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #686 on: December 28, 2022, 10:38:26 AM »

If someone offers us decent money then sell him. If nobody offers us what we want, then that in itself tells you something.

There’s no point keeping him around just because he seems a decent guy or through sentimentality while his value runs down alongside his contract.

He is good enough at this level because he's shown he is. Is he going to improve or get better? That's open for debate.

Offline manic-road

« Reply #687 on: December 28, 2022, 10:43:23 AM »
Well we’ve played much better and got results with the same players but now they’re being instructed in a certain way so straight away there’s improvement with no money spent.
Put Carlos in with either of the centre halves and you’d hope that a decent partnership will form which would see Mings or Konsa improve. With Martinez behind our back 5 is decent. Newcastle have got Dan Burn playing left back and Schar who has a mistake in him (Mings). Put Ramsey in from Tuesday breaking the lines and there’s immediate improvement, Newcastle have got Longstaff and Willock.
Yes, Watkins is very wasteful but unless we can attract a £50/£60m striker that’s what you’ll get with most. Newcastle have Wilson who is a much better finisher but is injury prone.
We’ve got great potential out on loan. For me maybe 2/3 of the right players in we can bridge the gap.

It doesn't have to be a £50/60m striker, take Alvarez for Instance Man City paid £14.1m who seem to have a good scouting network.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #688 on: December 28, 2022, 10:44:52 AM »
Yeah, I agree.

If you go through Newcastle's squad, how many players of their's are you swapping for the equivalent player in ours?  (e.g. Botman for Diego Carlos, Schar for Mings, Pope for Martinez, ..).  I reckon it's single figures, and fairly low single figures.  Not to say that they're crap, just that they're not way ahead of what we've already got.  Credit has to go to Howe there for building a strong looking side out of a squad that, bar Saint-Maximin, we wouldn't have touched a single player with a bargepole from a little over 12 months ago.   But the way people are going on, somehow Chris Wood is the champman regen of Alfredo Di Stefano, and Ollie Watkins can't hold a candle to him  ::)

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #689 on: December 28, 2022, 10:47:25 AM »

We saw his strengths and limitations on Monday. He ran his bollocks off, scored one good header, had another disallowed for a marginal offside but missed a couple of seemingly easier chances.I wouldn’t sell him until we know we have better in his position as well as cover for injuries etc. Clearly we need more goals but we also need to replicate his energy, work rate and ability to stretch defences.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal