collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:33:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:33:49 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 10:32:30 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

Re: FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by FrankyH
[Today at 10:19:07 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Des Little
[Today at 10:12:59 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 10:10:56 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread  (Read 391391 times)

Offline AGRIPPA

Re: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread
« Reply #420 on: December 09, 2022, 12:29:10 PM »
Pau Torres is crap......he can't even get a place in the Spanish team with a midfielder playing centre half!!

No thanks...and did anyone see anything in his couple of games that Carlos was fantastic at bringing the ball out (I didn't although not judging too harshly as its early days for him)

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #421 on: December 09, 2022, 05:22:07 PM »
We have to sign Joško Gvardiol. No ifs no buts, Lange just get on with it.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #422 on: December 09, 2022, 06:20:28 PM »
He is TWENTY years old. Paper rounds are tough in Croatia. Reminds me of "Wolfie" from the work experience episode of The Inbetweeners.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #423 on: December 09, 2022, 11:28:09 PM »
Can see Rabiot being a target. On a free end of the season, wants to play in England, played for Emery at PSG and according to some stats model his output is very similar to Ramsey.

As much as I like Doug and Dendoncker can be effective v certain teams I still think to seriously challenge for europe we need an experienced and technically proficient player alongside Kamara.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #424 on: December 09, 2022, 11:33:41 PM »
Just thinking that Mings might not be happy becoming a squad player. I know that's probably true for Konsa too but Pau Torres (and I think DeVries) being left footed then the emphasis is on Mings.

I still wonder what would've happened if Carlos hadn't of been injured, could've seen Mings moving on in August but we obviously had to keep him when that happened.

He's served us very well indeed but sometimes you have to move on from players, McGinn is certainly at that point and I think a manager as astute as Emery will have already worked it out but he sees the short term usefulness in keeping long serving players around just to get us well away from relegation and then he can remould the side.

Torres has generally been excellent for Villareal and is still mid 20s so that would be a transfer coup imo considering he wasn't interested in moving to Spurs 18 months ago.

Offline DrGonzo

« Reply #425 on: December 11, 2022, 01:03:08 PM »
With Carlos not back for another 4-8 weeks another CB in is a fair shout.  I like all our defenders but they all have their individual limitations.  I don't believe we will necessarily ship one of the current players out.  I doubt we will rush Carlos back into the squad, the investment is too great in a player of his age to risk a relapse that might prove terminal for his career. 3 in for me, CB, McGinn replacement and an out and out goalscrorer.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #426 on: December 11, 2022, 01:46:37 PM »
I think it's Emery's desire to play out from the back that's putting the most pressure on Mings and Konsa (and others). That seems to be highest on the agenda now.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #427 on: December 11, 2022, 02:37:02 PM »
I think it's Emery's desire to play out from the back that's putting the most pressure on Mings and Konsa (and others). That seems to be highest on the agenda now.

While it was hard to decipher at times what Gerrard was trying to do...it was clear playing out from the back was a priority for him too. I think it's clear we will be moving past Mings anyway in the medium term. I'm surprised at how much Konsa has regressed with the ball. Let's see if that can be addressed with coaching and confidence.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #428 on: December 11, 2022, 02:46:04 PM »
I don't remember Konsa ever being particularly good with the ball.  Teams at premier league level work out weaknesses in players really quickly and target those players by leaving them spare in the press - that seems to happen more to Mings than anyone else.  So if we are to play that way (beat the press by passing it short) then we will need two new centre halves, or one when Carlos returns so long as he is same player as before.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #429 on: December 12, 2022, 11:47:22 AM »
I know none of us expect this to happen but Mendes did somehow convince Neto, Moutinho and Neves to join Wolves while in the Championship and are all still there. All incredibly talent players. So why not Felix to us while we are a PL club?

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #430 on: December 12, 2022, 11:53:17 AM »
I know none of us expect this to happen but Mendes did somehow convince Neto, Moutinho and Neves to join Wolves while in the Championship and are all still there. All incredibly talent players. So why not Felix to us while we are a PL club?

Moutinho joined them once they'd been promoted. But it's a good point - Mendes' relationship with his players does tend to be "I think going here is in your long-term interest" and they broadly just do it.

However given it's usually with the ultimate goal of moving to a potential Champions League winner for £100m, and Joao Felix could do that anyway - I don't really see what Mendes or the player really gains from a few years with us on the way.

Much as it would be nice.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #431 on: December 12, 2022, 12:16:58 PM »
I thought they all joined in the Championship. Either way, it was madness to think any of those Portuguese players and some of the ones since would join that lot yet somehow they all did. So we shouldn’t rule it out. And Felix is still only 23. He could play for an aspiring PL club like us for 2 seasons, increase his profile and move on again if it didn’t work out. Given the agent represents both Emery and the player and seemingly is close to Nas (if you care to believe the reports) then (from Dumb and Dumber) - “so you’re saying there’s a chance?”

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #432 on: December 12, 2022, 12:39:04 PM »
I thought they all joined in the Championship. Either way, it was madness to think any of those Portuguese players and some of the ones since would join that lot yet somehow they all did. So we shouldn’t rule it out. And Felix is still only 23. He could play for an aspiring PL club like us for 2 seasons, increase his profile and move on again if it didn’t work out. Given the agent represents both Emery and the player and seemingly is close to Nas (if you care to believe the reports) then (from Dumb and Dumber) - “so you’re saying there’s a chance?”

Those three players have all been a success for Wolves, but they weren't particularly "big" signings at the time.  Neto and Neves were both about £15m and 20-ish at the time. Talented youngsters, but unproven. Gambles that definitely worked. Moutinho was a very good player, but he was 32 and only £5m. He's been good for them, probably for longer than anyone expected, but I'm not sure we'd be too excited about signing foreign midfielders who've never played in the premier league at 32 years of age.

We could definitely sign the players of the profile of that Wolves trio at the time they signed for Wolves, but Felix is on a different level altogether, having already been signed for a fee larger than Jack's to Man City.  Would be amazing to see it happen, but honestly, if we had that sort of money to spend, I'd hope it went elsewhere first...

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #433 on: December 12, 2022, 03:10:40 PM »
I'd be absolutely amazed if we were wasting any energy on even discussing Joao Felix, let along actively pursuing him.

We've enough work to do without getting distracted by this sort of nonsense.

And even IF there was any chance he'd join, I'd have thought that where we are right now we have more need of 2-3 players who can improve us rather than a £100m player?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #434 on: December 12, 2022, 03:46:15 PM »
You don't need to spend it all in one go. £20 million a year for four or five years might be doable. The club have been thinking small since Hitler ruined the plans to expand the ground. I won't slag them off now if they are thinking big. Make it happen, Villa. This would be a next level signing.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal