collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread  (Read 396733 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: January 2023 Transfer Rumours, Discussions and Done Deals Thread
« Reply #2685 on: January 28, 2023, 10:23:45 AM »
I could not believe that, having his managerial record, he would sell our back up striker, without a replacement  ready to come in.

Indeed.

If that is how it pans out, then Lange needs to be getting the bullet.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #2686 on: January 28, 2023, 10:33:34 AM »
I could not believe that, having his managerial record, he would sell our back up striker, without a replacement  ready to come in.

That's just what he did. I'd back him for it too. Still think we will get a forward in. Hopefully Guendouzi too, not sure CM is a position we absolutely need to strengthen but it would be disappointing if we couldn't get the deal over the line after all the effort.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2687 on: January 28, 2023, 10:34:03 AM »
Another wholly disappointing transfer window.  Even the likes of Bournemouth are spending £40m plus.  Usually there is something bubbling by now that can be taken seriously.  I have a horrible feeling we won't be getting anyone.  Lange out.  Purslow out.

Over the last few years pretty much all our business has been conducted with the utmost secrecy, so just because there’s very little concrete links doesn’t mean we’re twiddling our thumbs behind the scenes.

I’d say the only signing completely out of the blue in recent times was Ings, and they did that in a panic so they had some good news to share after the sale of Grealish.

Offline mallo

• GM : 28.03.2021
« Reply #2688 on: January 28, 2023, 10:34:44 AM »
It’s a little early for this pronouncement

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #2689 on: January 28, 2023, 10:47:05 AM »
I don't think we have/had any striker lined up, I don't think we planned to sell Ings at all. We had a decent bid from West Ham who wanted him ASAP and we took it.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #2690 on: January 28, 2023, 10:59:59 AM »
Another wholly disappointing transfer window.  Even the likes of Bournemouth are spending £40m plus.  Usually there is something bubbling by now that can be taken seriously.  I have a horrible feeling we won't be getting anyone.  Lange out.  Purslow out.

Over the last few years pretty much all our business has been conducted with the utmost secrecy, so just because there’s very little concrete links doesn’t mean we’re twiddling our thumbs behind the scenes.

I’d say the only signing completely out of the blue in recent times was Ings, and they did that in a panic so they had some good news to share after the sale of Grealish.

No one saw Borjan Baston coming

Offline Dante Lavelli

• GM : 25.05.2023
« Reply #2691 on: January 28, 2023, 11:06:41 AM »
I’m in the minority here but I’m relaxed about this window and hope/trust both Lange and Emery are busy planning proper signings either for this window or the next. The links to Williams and Depay suggest the bar is quite high.

If that sort of player isn’t available then I’d prefer a loan that bridges the gap than signing a player on a three year deal “just in case”. Stop gaps rarely work out imo.

Out of interest would we be happy with weghorst as a loan? The fact that Man U have ended up there suggests there might not be many players available right now.

Offline Rodders

• GM : 30.08.2024
« Reply #2692 on: January 28, 2023, 11:07:04 AM »

No one saw Borjan Baston coming

I'm not sure anyone noticed him leaving, either.

Or playing come to that.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #2693 on: January 28, 2023, 11:34:59 AM »
I’m in the minority here but I’m relaxed about this window and hope/trust both Lange and Emery are busy planning proper signings either for this window or the next. The links to Williams and Depay suggest the bar is quite high.

If that sort of player isn’t available then I’d prefer a loan that bridges the gap than signing a player on a three year deal “just in case”. Stop gaps rarely work out imo.

Out of interest would we be happy with weghorst as a loan? The fact that Man U have ended up there suggests there might not be many players available right now.

Me too. Would rather we wait than get someone shite like Dembele.

Still, it would be nice for our Arshavin to sign 15 minutes past the deadline and be a baller for the rest of the season (and mostly mediocre for the three years afterwards).
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 11:38:32 AM by eamonn »

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #2694 on: January 28, 2023, 11:35:30 AM »
I'm cetainly not relaxed about it, one bad injury to Watkins and we are rooted.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #2695 on: January 28, 2023, 11:36:52 AM »
Not sure if it's been said but the club should be ready to pounce when Southampton get relegated. JWP on the cheap  8)

Best free kick taker in the world aside from maybe Messi. Would be an area of our attack improved by miles.

He's not gonna stay, they're defo going down and we defo would be interested. Who's with me?!
Bella-Kotchap too.

I am fairly relaxed. I was pretty irritated last January because we didn't bring in a CDM & while it did cost us points, in the end, we gained Boubacar Kamara. So if that is the type of quality that patience is going to get us, then I can live without signing the likes of Djemba-Djemba as a third or fourth choice signing. We have to remember that we are shopping in a different class of store these days, & in our current predicament, we are going to suffer refusals & set backs. So maybe a signing in-between Poundland & Harrods is probably a good idea, but then I go back to Kamara... Although maybe another one or two young players with high potential might be nice. But, if we sign nobody else, I will be slightly annoyed. But not as angry as I would have been in previous windows...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2023, 11:46:23 AM by pablo_picasso »

Offline kippaxvilla2

« Reply #2696 on: January 28, 2023, 11:51:47 AM »
And yet most other teams seem to be strengthening from the same shops.

Offline Bent Neilsens Screamer

• GM : 25.11.2024
« Reply #2697 on: January 28, 2023, 11:56:02 AM »

We’ve signed a player this window completely out the blue as far as I was aware.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #2698 on: January 28, 2023, 12:03:10 PM »
Striker needed.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #2699 on: January 28, 2023, 12:03:14 PM »
Not sure if it's been said but the club should be ready to pounce when Southampton get relegated. JWP on the cheap  8)

Best free kick taker in the world aside from maybe Messi. Would be an area of our attack improved by miles.

He's not gonna stay, they're defo going down and we defo would be interested. Who's with me?!
Bella-Kotchap too.

I am fairly relaxed. I was pretty irritated last January because we didn't bring in a CDM & while it did cost us points, in the end, we gained Boubacar Kamara. So if that is the type of quality that patience is going to get us, then I can live without signing the likes of Djemba-Djemba as a third or fourth choice signing. We have to remember that we are shopping in a different class of store these days, & in our current predicament, we are going to suffer refusals & set backs. So maybe a signing in-between Poundland & Harrods is probably a good idea, but then I go back to Kamara... Although maybe another one or two young players with high potential might be nice. But, if we sign nobody else, I will be slightly annoyed. But not as angry as I would have been in previous windows...

Spot on. I’m relaxed too - we do need to be patient and I’d far prefer we buy quality over quantity even if that means a sparse Jan window. We will see some big names arrive over the summer, am sure of that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal