collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:47 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:05:56 AM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by DrGonzo
[April 29, 2024, 10:59:54 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:26:18 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:10:15 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Re: Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:37:42 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 711552 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #3525 on: March 04, 2023, 06:56:27 PM »
If we'd had the same ppg all season as we've had so far under Unai we'd be 4th or 5th.

Yep - 22 points taken from 12 league games, after 12 taken from the first 13 matches.

That is remarkable compared to where we were earlier in the season.

We'd be on 46 points now, and 4th in the table.

EDIT that's not actually true about 'would be 4th', but that is where that many points would get you in the current table.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3526 on: March 04, 2023, 11:18:17 PM »
The table since Emery took over apparently

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #3527 on: March 05, 2023, 12:24:09 AM »
My brother said he went spare at Ramsey and/or Moreno at one point and he said it didn't look like something that warranted going spare at. I like that. Obviously some instruction wasn't followed however small and he makes sure they f**king know.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #3528 on: March 05, 2023, 01:00:33 AM »
Still worse than Liverpool? FFS, they're (red)shite!

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3529 on: March 05, 2023, 01:42:10 AM »
My brother said he went spare at Ramsey and/or Moreno at one point and he said it didn't look like something that warranted going spare at. I like that. Obviously some instruction wasn't followed however small and he makes sure they f**king know.

He lost his shit with Moreno for fucking up a simple short pass and losing possession.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3530 on: March 05, 2023, 01:45:04 AM »
During the first half against Palace, Emery or one of the coaches was clearly shouting guarda to Moreno and Buendía when in possession of the ball.
That is Spanish.
I rest my case.

I wish.

Anyway, he was shouting at McGinn, it was Garda, and basically telling him to police his part of the pitch, which he did effectively I thought.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3531 on: March 05, 2023, 01:54:38 AM »
During the first half against Palace, Emery or one of the coaches was clearly shouting guarda to Moreno and Buendía when in possession of the ball.
That is Spanish.
I rest my case.

I wish.

Anyway, he was shouting at McGinn, it was Garda, and basically telling him to police his part of the pitch, which he did effectively I thought.

Perhaps that trip to Dublin is catching up with him and Emery was warning him that the Irish bizzies had turned up to have a word.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #3532 on: March 05, 2023, 02:23:16 AM »
If we still had Gerrard and maintained the ppg we had under him this season, we'd currently be at best 18th, and realistically we'd be 20th.

Online Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3533 on: March 05, 2023, 03:18:55 AM »
I have got to be honest - and I am not throwing around accusations that anybody wants Emery out or anything silly like that - but some of the negativity does surprise me.

Today was the first game I've been able to afford to get to since the loss to Watford in February (?) last year.

I thought we looked a bit ponderous in the advanced midfield positions, a little rigid in central defence, but overall we dictated the game. We weren't at our best but equally we never really needed to be, and if Watkins & McGinn had buried their missed chances (as they should have) we'd be talking about a 3-0 win.

I feel like some of the expectations of Emery are a tad unrealistic. If that's coloured by our meek exits from both Cups then I understand that, but he took over a team teetering on the brink of relegation form.

In large part we can infer support, excitement, even flattery, from the dissatisfaction, but he's not a miracle worker. When Gerrard was sacked we were 17th, on 9pts from 11 games. We're now 11th with 34 pts from 25 games.

That we didn't win emphatically enough today is not a concern for me right now.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3534 on: March 05, 2023, 03:36:11 AM »
The negativity isn’t towards him. I think the vast majority are impressed with what he’s been able to do in a short span of time. But you can still be frustrated at aspects of our play despite the win. We were quite ponderous today at times and lacked real invention in the final third. We didn’t have a shot on goal until the second half which isn’t good enough at home. At the back we looked nervy while in possession and bringing the ball out. Those are all honest observations. But that’s not to say most of us don’t believe in him as the manager. On the contrary I think given his proven record he very much is and needs the time and resources to improve us.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #3535 on: March 05, 2023, 04:38:36 AM »
If we still had Gerrard and maintained the ppg we had under him this season, we'd currently be at best 18th, and realistically we'd be 20th.

That's a sobering thought, and probably spot on.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #3536 on: March 05, 2023, 06:46:32 AM »

That's a sobering thought, and probably spot on.

We would definitely have been in the relegation zone. Even Danks would have made a better fist of keeping us just outside the bottom 3 places.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #3537 on: March 05, 2023, 08:15:05 AM »
The negativity isn’t towards him. I think the vast majority are impressed with what he’s been able to do in a short span of time. But you can still be frustrated at aspects of our play despite the win. We were quite ponderous today at times and lacked real invention in the final third. We didn’t have a shot on goal until the second half which isn’t good enough at home. At the back we looked nervy while in possession and bringing the ball out. Those are all honest observations. But that’s not to say most of us don’t believe in him as the manager. On the contrary I think given his proven record he very much is and needs the time and resources to improve us.
His emphasis is clearly on retaining the ball, which nullifies the opposition.
A case in point for not going gung-ho in attack is the Palace offside goal when we lost possession high up the pitch and after that the whole team played a lot more pragmatic, with minimal long punts when there is nothing on; and it gave us the result we needed.

Online ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #3538 on: March 05, 2023, 08:51:22 AM »
I think it's very clear the way he wants us to play and it's very also clear that he will get frustrated because many of the players are incapable of doing what he wants.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3539 on: March 05, 2023, 09:26:49 AM »
His emphasis is clearly on retaining the ball, which nullifies the opposition.
A case in point for not going gung-ho in attack is the Palace offside goal when we lost possession high up the pitch and after that the whole team played a lot more pragmatic, with minimal long punts when there is nothing on; and it gave us the result we needed.

One of our players hoofed the ball from the edge of the box just before half time and he went mad at that. Brilliant, it's about bloody time.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal