collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:47 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:05:56 AM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by DrGonzo
[April 29, 2024, 10:59:54 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:26:18 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:10:15 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Re: Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:37:42 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 711431 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #3480 on: February 25, 2023, 10:42:56 AM »
I think I enjoyed his first season every bit as much as the next three - in the first one, other than Petrov, he was forced to make do with what he had largely had, at least until January and even then, that season was mostly someone else's team. Moore and Gabby either side of Angel worked really well.

Of course the next three seasons were good to watch, but we absolutely were a much more exciting prospect away from home, he never really found (again) a way to get the home form to match the away, we struggled to break defensive sides open

In his last two seasons, we scored 27 or 28 at home both seasons, and in both of those years there was a couple of games where we had 4+ goals (seem to remember Bolton always playing a suicidally high line against us with the pace we had and getting a panning every year), leaving a ratio of approx a goal a game for the other 17 fixtures.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #3481 on: February 25, 2023, 11:23:23 AM »
Just listening to the press conference this morning and it strikes how much better Unai’s English has become in the past few months. Having to speak it every day helps of course but I’m sure it will be beneficial all round to him, his staff and the players.
I thought the plan was that everyone at the club will be speaking Spanish?!

I think it would be foolish of players not to make small efforts to know some Spanish phrases.  Its decent nod to Emery and the coaching staff.
I am incapable of learning a foreign language, don't know why but nothing works.
Sailed with predominantly Spanish speaking seafarers for 17 years - I know a few words in Spanish.
Lived in the middle East for 10 years - I know a few words in Arabic.
Worked in Nigeria for 4 years - I know a few words in Nigerian.
Lived in Cyprus for over 14 years - I know a few words in Greek.
Lived with my partner now for over 10 years - Moldovan, speaks 10 languages - I know a few words in Moldovan.
I have never been able to string a sentence together in a foreign language and thank my lucky stars I have been able to get by in English (with an Irish accent), for over 42 years while dealing with multiple Nationalities (working in shipping).
It's an art I admire in others.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3482 on: February 25, 2023, 12:15:14 PM »
I know loads of Spanish phrases but I'm still shit at football.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3483 on: February 25, 2023, 12:16:53 PM »
I am incapable of learning a foreign language, don't know why but nothing works.
Sailed with predominantly Spanish speaking seafarers for 17 years - I know a few words in Spanish.
Lived with my partner now for over 10 years - Moldovan, speaks 10 languages - I know a few words in Moldovan.
I have never been able to string a sentence together in a foreign language and thank my lucky stars I have been able to get by in English (with an Irish accent), for over 42 years while dealing with multiple Nationalities (working in shipping).

Most people are good and bad at different things mate. My son does really well at school, but like you he just doesn't get foreign languages, so he's not taking any for GCSE.

Offline Axl Rose

• GM : 02.04.2022
« Reply #3484 on: February 25, 2023, 12:24:31 PM »

Most people are good and bad at different things mate. My son does really well at school, but like you he just doesn't get foreign languages, so he's not taking any for GCSE.

I'm the same. I'll still absolutely hopeless at speaking Japanese, despite having been here for 10 years.

I'm an expert in rude words, however!

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #3485 on: February 25, 2023, 01:16:19 PM »
Just listening to the press conference this morning and it strikes how much better Unai’s English has become in the past few months. Having to speak it every day helps of course but I’m sure it will be beneficial all round to him, his staff and the players.
I thought the plan was that everyone at the club will be speaking Spanish?!

I think it would be foolish of players not to make small efforts to know some Spanish phrases.  Its decent nod to Emery and the coaching staff.

Oh the joy of being harangued by the wife in another language and not knowing barely a word of what she's saying.   ;)

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #3486 on: February 25, 2023, 02:26:41 PM »

Lucky bugger - I had to endure the humiliation of compulsory exams and the embarrassing results afterwards.
Fortunately Latin was only for one year and I was so shit at that they did drop me from the curriculum.
French was throughout up to GCSE O Level - you can guess how I fared there.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #3487 on: February 25, 2023, 02:33:30 PM »
I'm the same. I'll still absolutely hopeless at speaking Japanese, despite having been here for 10 years.

I'm an expert in rude words, however!
I can order a beer anywhere in the world, normally a one word grunt though.

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #3488 on: February 25, 2023, 02:35:21 PM »
Oh the joy of being harangued by the wife in another language and not knowing barely a word of what she's saying.   ;)
I know I'm really in the shit if she starts in English, but is so pissed off she slips into Moldovan (and even worse if it's Russian) :-)

Offline adrenachrome

« Reply #3489 on: February 25, 2023, 03:49:27 PM »
I know I'm really in the shit if she starts in English, but is so pissed off she slips into Moldovan (and even worse if it's Russian) :-)

i feel your pain but I have to have to point out that there is no such language as Moldovan.

Offline Axl Rose

« Reply #3490 on: February 25, 2023, 03:50:57 PM »
Isn't it a dialect? I have absolutely no idea to be fair. I'd imagine Romanian to be the predominant language

Offline Neil Hawkes

« Reply #3491 on: February 25, 2023, 04:00:12 PM »
The 1994 constitution of the Republic of Moldova asserts that the country's official language is 'Moldovan'. There is some promotion of this language label amongst Moldovan nationalists, though in linguistic reality the language is the same as Romanian.

There are huge similarities, but still a few differences; when Moldovans and Romanians are speaking to each other.

A bit like Greek & Cypriot conversations - there are differences but Cypriot Greek while different from Greek is not classed as a Cypriot language.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #3492 on: February 25, 2023, 04:50:08 PM »
Never doubt King Unai  8)

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #3493 on: February 25, 2023, 04:51:56 PM »
El professor!

Offline Axl Rose