collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Tim Iroegbunam by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:57 AM]

Calum Chambers -signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:04:54 AM]

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:47 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:05:56 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Tim Iroegbunam by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:08:57 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 04:04:54 AM]

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:26:18 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:10:15 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Re: Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 711616 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #1815 on: November 15, 2022, 07:12:43 PM »
40 mins? Maybe I’m misremembering but I don’t think shutting the game down came anywhere near that early.

Offline Eckybloke

• GM : 06.06.2019
« Reply #1816 on: November 15, 2022, 07:14:55 PM »
Defensive at the right time is fine, my concerns have generally been what if it doesn’t work and they equalise/go ahead?  Do we have the options to turn it around or is it too late? 
Now, I think/hope we have the manager with the tools to turn it about and it’s potentially exciting.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1817 on: November 15, 2022, 07:21:43 PM »
In hindsight I wish Emery had gone all out attack, which would have suited the seagulls and and perhaps we would have lost 5 or 6,,we been shit before he come

Would we
We’d thrashed the pants off man utd a week earlier playing that way
So I suppose it shows we can play in different ways and styles which is a good thing obviously

I just don’t like defensive Football never have done never will do it might be my Achilles heel but there we go

Online Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #1818 on: November 15, 2022, 07:52:38 PM »

But I won’t be fawning over Southgate Allardyce footballany time soon and I know you’re all going to say it’s A different thing and I’m getting confused but it’s not it’s fucking six at the back defending a one goal lead for nearly a whole half And I won’t be a hypocrite

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #1819 on: November 15, 2022, 08:07:07 PM »

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1820 on: November 15, 2022, 08:21:58 PM »
Fun fact. Gregory and Atkinson both did 3 full seasons. Gregory had a higher goals per game ratio in those 3 seasons.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1821 on: November 15, 2022, 08:28:37 PM »
Fun fact. Gregory and Atkinson both did 3 full seasons. Gregory had a higher goals per game ratio in those 3 seasons.

Good fun fact
Still prefer BFR

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1822 on: November 15, 2022, 08:45:08 PM »
I wouldn't prescribe those tactics in many scenarios long-term. When he's only just come in, had a handful of sessions, not had chance to bring in his own players and when we were being dragged into trouble, I think it's fair enough. Instead of going into the break on 12 points, we're now on 18 points and looking up the table again with a few weeks to work on things on the training ground.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #1823 on: November 15, 2022, 08:49:55 PM »
In hindsight I wish Emery had gone all out attack, which would have suited the seagulls and and perhaps we would have lost 5 or 6,,we been shit before he come

Would we
We’d thrashed the pants off man utd a week earlier playing that way
So I suppose it shows we can play in different ways and styles which is a good thing obviously

I just don’t like defensive Football never have done never will do it might be my Achilles heel but there we go

I don't think anyone "likes" defensive football, I certainly don't. And if Emery ends up playing a Southgate-esque five at the back with two sitting midfielders in front of them, I'll be VERY disappointed. 

But Saturday wasn't a "defensive performance" apart from the last 25 minutes - which in my book, is fine.  Would I prefer us to have "gone for it" to win 3 or 4 1 instead of holding on for a win? Of course, but I recognise the premier league isn't fantasy football and that's not how the game works, unfortunately.  I wish it did. The reality is that the more you attack, the more exposed you become at the back, so there is a decision to be made about how much you want that extra goal vs how much you want to avoid conceding one.  As others have said, the opposition will play a big part in that equation too. 

Even teams that dominate the ball and are excellent at attacking from all angles, like Man City, get caught on the break after leaving gaps at the back, as evidenced at Brentford this weekend when they were pressing for a winner.  Do you think we would have conceded 3 in the last 10 minutes against them at the end of last season if we'd been as defensively well-organised as we were at Brighton? Maybe, but I think we'd have been much more solid and wouldn't have collapsed.

There will come a time when we try to shut up shop towards the end of a game, and it won't work, and we'll lose a lead, or worse a game, and then people will rightly be very unhappy about it.  But being able to "park the bus" effectively is a great skill for a team to have if it has ambitions of playing at the top level.

But for the avoidance of doubt, if we find ourselves STARTING games like that, I'll be disappointed.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1824 on: November 15, 2022, 09:06:47 PM »
I wouldn't prescribe those tactics in many scenarios long-term. When he's only just come in, had a handful of sessions, not had chance to bring in his own players and when we were being dragged into trouble, I think it's fair enough. Instead of going into the break on 12 points, we're now on 18 points and looking up the table again with a few weeks to work on things on the training ground.

His immediate pressing concern coming in was exactly like you said - get us away from the relegation zone in time for the break and build from a position of promise rather than one of increasing desperation.

I reckon if you'd asked us two weeks ago if we'd be willing to play 10-0-0 for 180 mins across those two matches if it meant six points from six, every single one of us would have taken it.

It's entirely about necessity with where we are, and he's absolutely played a blinder.

I'm so tired of seeing us take leads and then just spunk them away effortlessly because we don't change our shape to reflect the game. Emery has done that more than once in the same game and we're seeing the benefits.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #1825 on: November 15, 2022, 09:06:56 PM »
Villareal played defensively and knocked Bayern and Juve out of the European Cup, with a squad that on paper would be tipped to be in the relegation zone over here.

That's Bayern, who we've beaten once for the greatest night in our illustrious history, and Juventus who knocked us out the following season beating us in both games.

I'll take defensive football if it means we start playing (and beating) these teams again.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #1826 on: November 15, 2022, 09:07:48 PM »
That's Bayern, who we've beaten once for the greatest night in our illustrious history

85 minutes of which we spent defending for our lives.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #1827 on: November 15, 2022, 09:10:01 PM »
That's Bayern, who we've beaten once for the greatest night in our illustrious history

85 minutes of which we spent defending for our lives.

Yes indeed.

Offline LeeB

« Reply #1828 on: November 15, 2022, 09:11:13 PM »
Mind you, if we'd had to sub Martinez after 5 minutes for Olsen Christ knows how many it would've been.

Offline pauliewalnuts

« Reply #1829 on: November 15, 2022, 09:12:11 PM »
Mind you, if we'd had to sub Martinez after 5 minutes for Olsen Christ knows how many it would've been.

If we'd had Martinez in nets in Rotterdam, we'd probably still be playing all the injury time added on to account for all the timewasting shit-housery he'd engaged in.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal