collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:47 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:05:56 AM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by DrGonzo
[April 29, 2024, 10:59:54 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:26:18 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:10:15 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Re: Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:37:42 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 711505 times)

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #1785 on: November 15, 2022, 11:10:34 AM »
I think with this 'well-drilled' thing, it's important to remember that Emery is doing essentially the same things in attack and defence: move in sync and control the space. When that backline was operating the other day as if with one mind, you could obviously see the training ground work paying off. The same is true in attack though: our first good move of the game, JJ and Ings combining I believe, was all about practiced movements, adapting to situations, attacking the space.
Which is to say that I don't think there's 'negative' or 'positive' with Emery, at least not in terms of what you practice like a whole style. Just that there are the things you work on, your team's whole relationship to the ball, and different situations you respond to in a game.
It's not that complicated, but it's flexibility like I don't think we've seen in ages: since at least the Doug era ended, we've been either dull and negative (ok, mostly), or a 'positive' soft-touch. Nice to think we can react to games differently now.
Yeah, I see that.
And, it is possible to see how it works with other teams - Bielsa's Leeds tried this approach; Arsenal are doing it now, as Citeh have been.
For it to work, there needs to be a basic and high level of fitness so that the players can create the flexibility and use of space. Also, a basic (and high) level of ball control and passing ability is necessary: that's the bit that may result in some comings and goings in January.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1786 on: November 15, 2022, 12:01:52 PM »
The Man Utd game was the first in such a long time where we played with very clear and obvious structure. The defensive and midfield lines were disciplined and it was a joy to behold. On Sunday, playing with 6 at the back? I mean I'd never normally be one to advocate for it, but fuck me it worked really well.

Emery is obviously really new and yet in that time, the players have clearly shown they understand their roles, can adapt, and play good football. It's a revelation, and shows that those calling for us to go all out for a top manager and/or who said our players are good enough are right. We may not be about to win the league, but we are sure as hell going the right way.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1787 on: November 15, 2022, 12:19:04 PM »

Emery is obviously really new and yet in that time, the players have clearly shown they understand their roles, can adapt, and play good football. It's a revelation, and shows that those calling for us to go all out for a top manager and/or who said our players are good enough are right. We may not be about to win the league, but we are sure as hell going the right way.

It's promising but still far too early to make any definitive statements. I'm feeling more positive about Villa than I have for a long time, but that's usually when the universe decides to give Villa a good kick in the bollocks! Let's see where we are and how the players are doing at the halfway point in the season, and whether any new players arrive in January.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2022, 12:41:16 PM by Risso »

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1788 on: November 15, 2022, 12:25:36 PM »
The Man Utd game was the first in such a long time where we played with very clear and obvious structure. The defensive and midfield lines were disciplined and it was a joy to behold. On Sunday, playing with 6 at the back? I mean I'd never normally be one to advocate for it, but fuck me it worked really well.

I'm not sure i'd say people were right or not but I'd say it was right to suggest that we needed to see how coachable the players are before we rip the squad up. The signs so far are promising but I think we need to look 3-4 months down the line to see how many of the squad can work for us in the mid-long term.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #1789 on: November 15, 2022, 12:26:27 PM »
We only went to a 6-4 formation once we had the lead and wanted to go ultra defensive to make sure they couldn't break us down.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1790 on: November 15, 2022, 12:36:49 PM »

It's promising but still far too early to make any definitive statements. I'm feeling more positive about Villa than I have for a long time, but that's usually when the universe decides to give Villa a good kick in the bollocks! Let's see where we are and how the playerss are doing at the halfway point in the season, and whether any new players arrive in January.
Same, I am hopeful but a bit early to get carried away, we saw an uptick after Gerrard arrived which did not last. These players are capable of some excellent performances but have also shown some rank ineptitude.
One huge improvement on the last 2 managers is use of subs and game management.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1791 on: November 15, 2022, 12:48:51 PM »

It's promising but still far too early to make any definitive statements. I'm feeling more positive about Villa than I have for a long time, but that's usually when the universe decides to give Villa a good kick in the bollocks! Let's see where we are and how the playerss are doing at the halfway point in the season, and whether any new players arrive in January.
Same, I am hopeful but a bit early to get carried away, we saw an uptick after Gerrard arrived which did not last. These players are capable of some excellent performances but have also shown some rank ineptitude.

And tactics and strategy.

We did see an upturn briefly when Gerrard took over, but gut feeling is that was players being motivated to do better rather than being trained to be better. There's a difference.

Offline astonvilla82

« Reply #1792 on: November 15, 2022, 01:27:22 PM »
If we don't move up the table in the next few weeks I think we should sack him

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #1793 on: November 15, 2022, 01:28:28 PM »
I am really looking forward to see how he plays Diego Carlo and would not bet against him being Captain next season. When fully fit i see him playing more games than Mings

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #1794 on: November 15, 2022, 02:07:45 PM »

We did see an upturn briefly when Gerrard took over, but gut feeling is that was players being motivated to do better rather than being trained to be better. There's a difference.

In hindsight it was probably more down to Beale that Gerrard.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1795 on: November 15, 2022, 02:08:59 PM »

That's what I mean by game management.
I am not sure that i trust these players to turn up consistently.
When comparing the records of SG and UE, there is no contest.

Offline caster troy

« Reply #1796 on: November 15, 2022, 02:25:48 PM »

Looking back now, Gerrard's initial upturn was helped by set piece goals, Nakamba briefly playing like prime Kante and a few easier games. Definitely not as impressive as beating in form sides in the top 6.

I'd forgotten how poor Gerrard was last season. That win at Goodison staring down their fans had followed three defeats and a draw, and was then followed by one point in the next three games. Arguably his peak was the Leeds away win, we followed that up with four straight defeats. To use a cricket analogy, he was clearly a 'flat track bully' whereas Emery has already shown he can get unexpected results against good sides. I think we will see much more consistency from his team.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #1797 on: November 15, 2022, 03:37:55 PM »
We only went to a 6-4 formation once we had the lead and wanted to go ultra defensive to make sure they couldn't break us down.
This.
It's a perfect example of game management deployed by a high quality coach and playrs who have bought into him. As I said to my mate at the time, we could have played for another hour and Brighton wouldn't have broken us down.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1798 on: November 15, 2022, 03:41:59 PM »
From what I saw of his Villareal team, I do not think we should be too surprised to see his Villa take a pragmatic approach to the game.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #1799 on: November 15, 2022, 03:46:21 PM »
This.
It's a perfect example of game management deployed by a high quality coach and playrs who have bought into him. As I said to my mate at the time, we could have played for another hour and Brighton wouldn't have broken us down.

Depends if you want to defend a lead as soon as you go a goal up or keep going for another goal

one of their players missed a sitter, an open goal header with no pressure from 6 yes out late on, 9 times out of 10 that’s put away normally then we’re coming away with a point because we were to defensive and cautious

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal