collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:10:47 AM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 12:05:56 AM]

Aston Villa v Olympiacos - UECL Semi Final First Leg Pre Match by DrGonzo
[April 29, 2024, 10:59:54 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:37:00 AM]

Re: Champions League Contention by tomd2103
[Today at 01:30:59 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:26:18 AM]

Re: FFP by tomd2103
[Today at 01:10:15 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by tomd2103
[Today at 12:44:09 AM]

Re: Snooker by dcdavecollett
[Today at 12:41:07 AM]

Re: Kits 23/24 by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:39:26 AM]

Re: Calum Chambers -signed by edgysatsuma89
[Today at 12:37:42 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Unai Emery - our manager  (Read 711573 times)

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Unai Emery - our manager
« Reply #660 on: October 27, 2022, 02:41:57 PM »
I'm less concerned than I used to be about playing the sexy stuff, though I don't doubt we will too. I just want us to be very fucking competent indeed. Looks like that's going to be the way.

Competent, yes. Awkward pains in the arse that upset the teams playing sexy stuff is what I want, coupled witn ruthless exploitation of the confusion caused.

That's what I want and believe I will get.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #661 on: October 27, 2022, 02:47:27 PM »
That thing Hunter and Balague talked about, the patient possession in their own third just to flummox Juve and Bayern into making a mistake, that was fucking brilliant. The insight to have the idea, the knowledge to know how to train for it, the cojones to pull it off.

We get any of that particular Emery it's going to be a good good time.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #662 on: October 27, 2022, 02:49:55 PM »
That thing Hunter and Balague talked about, the patient possession in their own third just to flummox Juve and Bayern into making a mistake, that was fucking brilliant. The insight to have the idea, the knowledge to know how to train for it, the cojones to pull it off.

Exactly that mate.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #663 on: October 27, 2022, 02:52:34 PM »

Sounds suspiciously like "setting traps" to me... ;)

Offline Monty

« Reply #664 on: October 27, 2022, 02:54:22 PM »

Sounds suspiciously like "setting traps" to me... ;)

Ha yeah, but it sounds like we've got our wily shikari this time, rather than Wile E Coyote.

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #665 on: October 27, 2022, 02:59:45 PM »
The one thing I have pissed off about from a few small section of Villa fans, and granted on social media, is anyone who goes on about his accent or his general command of the English language. And specifically any wanker who keeps on about how he pronounces certain words or says "good evening". Seriously fuck off. How many languages do you speak? I think he speaks 5. It was such an Arsenal thing to do back then, so can we not stoop to that level of casual bigotry. Let's just appreciate that we have him.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2022, 03:12:12 PM by Toronto Villa »

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #666 on: October 27, 2022, 03:11:04 PM »
The one thing I have pissed off about from a few small section of Villa fans, and granted on social media, is anyone who goes on about his accent or his general command of the English language. And specifically any wanker who keeps on about how he pronounces certain wods or says good evening. Seriously fuck off. How many languages do you speak? I think he speaks 5. It was such an Arsenal thing to do back then, can we not stoop to that level of casual bigotry. Let's just appreciate that we have him.

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #667 on: October 27, 2022, 03:14:32 PM »
The one thing I have pissed off about from a few small section of Villa fans, and granted on social media, is anyone who goes on about his accent or his general command of the English language. And specifically any wanker who keeps on about how he pronounces certain words or says "good evening". Seriously fuck off. How many languages do you speak? I think he speaks 5. It was such an Arsenal thing to do back then, so can we not stoop to that level of casual bigotry. Let's just appreciate that we have him.
Well said.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #668 on: October 27, 2022, 03:15:00 PM »
The one thing I have pissed off about from a few small section of Villa fans, and granted on social media, is anyone who goes on about his accent or his general command of the English language. And specifically any wanker who keeps on about how he pronounces certain wods or says good evening. Seriously fuck off. How many languages do you speak? I think he speaks 5. It was such an Arsenal thing to do back then, can we not stoop to that level of casual bigotry. Let's just appreciate that we have him.
Everyone I know who speaks English does so with an accent.
Anyone who thinks that that is a problem needs to get out an awful lot more.
FTF!

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #669 on: October 27, 2022, 03:31:55 PM »
We didn't vote for brexit to have to listen to the forrins on match of the day!

How are English managers supposed to perfect Bruceball if they can't get the top jobs without earning them?

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #670 on: October 27, 2022, 03:38:17 PM »

How are English managers supposed to perfect Bruceball if they can't get the top jobs without earning them?

Perhaps the negative stereotype that they all play "Bruceball" means that English / British managers are overlooked when it comes to top jobs.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #671 on: October 27, 2022, 03:42:01 PM »

Perhaps the negative stereotype that they all play "Bruceball" means that English / British managers are overlooked when it comes to top jobs.

Perhaps it's the Bruceball they play when they get those jobs. The idea that English managers are denied chances is a myth, as we know from our last appointment, which was made despite his lack of suitability for the job.

Offline Monty

« Reply #672 on: October 27, 2022, 03:50:00 PM »
Also Potter and Howe currently have high-profile jobs thanks to having done well and earned them. Just be good at your job!

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #673 on: October 27, 2022, 04:07:34 PM »
Have we ever had an astute manager who is proactive at in-game tactical changes and substitutions? None of our British lot gave off that impression.

Maybe Houllier would have, had he been a decade younger. Dr Jo in time, may well have done so too. If you factor in Garde and Di Matteo's tenures, our patience with coaches from the continent has not been too plentiful.

It will be great to have a football-sized brain calling the shots for once. The key of course is whether he can communicate this effectively to the squad and how willing they are to move from comfort zones.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #674 on: October 27, 2022, 04:10:40 PM »
Also Potter and Howe currently have high-profile jobs thanks to having done well and earned them. Just be good at your job!

Yes and it will be interesting to see how they do in those jobs, particularly Potter at Chelsea.  St. George's Park was built with the promise of ushering in new generations of coaches who were all going to follow the "England DNA". 

Guess the reality is that managers aren't given a lot of time in jobs now, so often revert to over cautious and less complex gameplans.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal