collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Unai Emery - our manager by Dave
[Today at 02:21:56 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 02:20:52 PM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by Chris Smith
[Today at 02:15:26 PM]

Re: FFP by rob_bridge
[Today at 02:01:05 PM]

Re: FFP by Risso
[Today at 02:00:06 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 01:59:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by WassallVillain
[Today at 01:54:03 PM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Toronto Villa
[Today at 01:50:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Let them eat... anything  (Read 7293 times)

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
Re: Let them eat... anything
« Reply #60 on: August 17, 2022, 05:49:39 PM »
Another one in a long list of reasons for knocking the whole thing down and starting again somewhere else.

I kind of agree - since the Trinity & Holte rebuilds theres very little of any sentimental value left other than site itself

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #61 on: August 17, 2022, 06:48:59 PM »
The idea of kiosks serving in the car park at half time would be a non starter imo. There's a few reasons why not starting with the fact that going up the one million stairs to your seat in the Trinity upper once is tough enough. You'd need to be an Olympic athlete to do it twice.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2022, 07:27:30 PM by The Edge »

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #62 on: August 17, 2022, 07:06:18 PM »
I'm surprised the owners and Purslow got this wrong, they usually like to keep the customers, sorry, fans, happy

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #63 on: August 18, 2022, 12:24:07 PM »
Definitely not a lowest end of the spectrum firm.

All catering suppliers across many spaces are having huge issues in recruiting,  retention and supply chain, after suffering massive losses during the pandemic.  It is no excuse,  but as ever there is context. They should have been prepared.

Compass.

Free school meals during the pandemic, Marcus Rashford? Ring any bells?
Working conditions.
Cleaners salaries.
Living Wage.

They're shithouses of the highest order.

That all may be true but the club work with the subsidiary, Birmingham based Levy UK, as do Chelsea, Spurs, Leicester and numerous PL clubs, not to mention..wait for it..Twickenham where they manage 78 bars, 33 food kiosks plus corporate. Edgbaston also use them for matchday food and drink.

My guess is they know what they're doing but whoever is responsible for the Villa Park account couldn't organise a piss up..

https://levy.co.uk/

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #64 on: August 18, 2022, 02:03:37 PM »
They even have a picture of multiple pints having been poured.

Online artvandelay

« Reply #65 on: August 18, 2022, 02:10:00 PM »
Thinking back to Everton away this year (seems a fair comparison, same teams, early kick off). The away end was ridiculously overcrowded on the concourse, however, in the Lower Tier at least, they managed to service all thirsty punters by half way into halftime. We even went back for a second. I believe it was just bottles of either Carling or Carlsberg, which is nobody's favourite, but when you're drinking a pint in the surroundings of breezeblocks and exposed poles from a plastic cup, you're not exactly going to be writing up tasting notes

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #66 on: August 18, 2022, 02:29:19 PM »
Thinking back to Everton away this year (seems a fair comparison, same teams, early kick off). The away end was ridiculously overcrowded on the concourse, however, in the Lower Tier at least, they managed to service all thirsty punters by half way into halftime. We even went back for a second. I believe it was just bottles of either Carling or Carlsberg, which is nobody's favourite, but when you're drinking a pint in the surroundings of breezeblocks and exposed poles from a plastic cup, you're not exactly going to be writing up tasting notes

I was there and this is true

Offline MillerBall

« Reply #67 on: August 18, 2022, 10:44:59 PM »
A splendid article Dave. Well said.
Regular away fans talk to their counterparts and no doubt the Evertonians will pass their knowledge of last weeks events accordingly.to supporters of other teams.
The notion of increasing the ground capacity is undermined if oor Villa Park infrastructure can't cope with our existing demands.
And as for the local public transport on a match day ...... there is indeed much to be done.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #68 on: August 19, 2022, 12:19:54 AM »
A splendid article Dave. Well said.
And as for the local public transport on a match day ...... there is indeed much to be done.

Agreed on both points. As for local transport, if the Villa can't make it a local issue nobody can. As others have said, we make it work for Rugby WC, Thats That or whatever they're called, the numbers are the same. Either admit that Villa Park and the city isn't a viable venue or sort the shit out.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #69 on: August 19, 2022, 06:30:25 AM »
How many people could a vending machine service in the half time break?
20 ? 30?
Even if you multiplied that by x number of machines it would be just a painful as it is now.

If people can’t get themselves into the ground, I dread to think how they’d manage confronted with a vending machine that has multiple options in it.

If the catering service is crap, don’t use it…..maybe the message will get through the next time the club issue a consultation paper.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #70 on: August 19, 2022, 09:06:55 AM »
How many people could a vending machine service in the half time break?
20 ? 30?
Even if you multiplied that by x number of machines it would be just a painful as it is now.

If people can’t get themselves into the ground, I dread to think how they’d manage confronted with a vending machine that has multiple options in it.

If the catering service is crap, don’t use it…..maybe the message will get through the next time the club issue a consultation paper.

Nice idea but easier said than done. I go with my now teenage kids and, much to my annoyance, they don’t always want to sit in the pub or one of the clubs like the Sacred Heart beforehand. At the same time its nice to get in and around the ground a while before kick off, so they get the feel of the build up. And to be honest getting them some chips or whatever has always been part of the treat of going the Villa. A mass boycott is a nice idea, but really a few simple innovations and more supervision of the staff would go a long way.

Offline DeKuip

« Reply #71 on: August 19, 2022, 09:45:48 AM »
I remember as a kid in the late 60s/early 70s when the choice at the tea hut when you walked in the Witton End was was tea, bovril, plain crisps with a bag of salt in and wagon wheels. You could nick a sugar lump quite easily though.

I’d get mocked as being spoilt on the very rare occasion my dad bought me a wagon wheel - standing there eating it in a cloud of cigarette smoke as the men passed around a flask of whisky.

Offline Flamingo Lane

« Reply #72 on: August 19, 2022, 10:50:52 AM »
I remember as a kid in the late 60s/early 70s when the choice at the tea hut when you walked in the Witton End was was tea, bovril, plain crisps with a bag of salt in and wagon wheels.

More often than not I would have a pie. Fleur de Lys I think they were. Cost about 20p.

Online AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #73 on: August 19, 2022, 11:22:00 AM »
I remember as a kid in the late 60s/early 70s when the choice at the tea hut when you walked in the Witton End was was tea, bovril, plain crisps with a bag of salt in and wagon wheels.

More often than not I would have a pie. Fleur de Lys I think they were. Cost about 20p.
Omg! Just had a time slip to standing on the Witton with my dad,under the Trinity roof bit,and he always went to the tea bar and I can still see the Fleur de Lys logo.
The crinkle of the plastic wrapping being opened. Sigh.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #74 on: August 19, 2022, 11:31:58 AM »
I remember being at an away game, eighties, somewhere in Yorkshire I think, asking the bloke behind the counter what pies they'd got.
"Meat"
"What kind of meat?"
"Meat"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal