collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by dave.woodhall
[Today at 12:23:44 PM]

Champions League Contention by AV82EC
[Today at 12:09:23 PM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:27:21 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Nev
[Today at 01:18:45 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 01:17:42 PM]

Re: Happy Easter everyone - Wolves at home by Legion
[Today at 01:17:36 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 01:05:47 PM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 01:03:06 PM]

Re: Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by Ducksworthy
[Today at 01:01:39 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by devilla
[Today at 01:00:58 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa V Everton Post Match Thread.  (Read 19665 times)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
Re: Aston Villa V Everton Post Match Thread.
« Reply #165 on: August 14, 2022, 03:01:23 PM »
What has happened to Dele Alli? I used to think he was a cracking player. Four or five very good years at Spurs when he was a reliable 1 goal in 3-4 games attacking midfielder to the absolute nothing player he is now. And he's still only 26.

Yeah it’s very weird. I’ve got a recollection of a few injuries potentially hampering him.

I was saying after the game, 3-4 years ago I'd have given anything for him, was trying to think of another player that has tailed off so dramatically well before hitting his peak years.

David Bentley?

Bentley openly admitted he didn’t enjoy football and mainly the culture that surrounded it at the time. He was a good player that decided it wasn’t for him and went into business. He also tried to help younger kids coming into the game with education and handling money and fame.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #166 on: August 14, 2022, 03:22:27 PM »
What has happened to Dele Alli? I used to think he was a cracking player. Four or five very good years at Spurs when he was a reliable 1 goal in 3-4 games attacking midfielder to the absolute nothing player he is now. And he's still only 26.

Yeah it’s very weird. I’ve got a recollection of a few injuries potentially hampering him.

I was saying after the game, 3-4 years ago I'd have given anything for him, was trying to think of another player that has tailed off so dramatically well before hitting his peak years.

David Bentley?

Bentley openly admitted he didn’t enjoy football and mainly the culture that surrounded it at the time. He was a good player that decided it wasn’t for him and went into business. He also tried to help younger kids coming into the game with education and handling money and fame.

Yep I know. But before he decided to call it a day, he tailed off massively, which was the question! :)

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #167 on: August 14, 2022, 03:34:18 PM »

David Bentley?

Yep I know. But before he decided to call it a day, he tailed off massively, which was the question! :)

Oh I know. I wasn’t disputing your suggestion. Bentley appeared to get out with some dignity when he realized it wasn’t a life for him. Alli on the surface anyways, just appears to be pissing away what was a superb start to his career.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #168 on: August 14, 2022, 03:34:51 PM »
Going back a few years Des Walker was one of the best central defenders in Europe nevermind England. Forest fans used to sing 'You'll never beat Des Walker' and they were right. Cool, calm, collected summed him up then almost overnight he just seemed to lose it. Konsa in his prime reminded me of him and just like Walker he seems to have lost it. Hopefully he can regain it but right now it doesn't look like he will.

Online Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #169 on: August 14, 2022, 03:36:11 PM »
Bentley hadn’t had a club for a year at the time so there may have been an element of making a virtue out of necessity.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #170 on: August 14, 2022, 03:52:06 PM »
Going back a few years Des Walker was one of the best central defenders in Europe nevermind England. Forest fans used to sing 'You'll never beat Des Walker' and they were right. Cool, calm, collected summed him up then almost overnight he just seemed to lose it. Konsa in his prime reminded me of him and just like Walker he seems to have lost it. Hopefully he can regain it but right now it doesn't look like he will.

To be fair though Walker won league cups with Forest, played in an FA Cup final, played in Europe, a world cup semi final and won many caps for England. I think he lost some of his pace in his early 30s and then like you say disappeared off the scene fairly quickly after that, but he was a brilliant defender and had a fine career. Different world to Alli, who granted was also involved in a world cup semi, but literally had a couple of good years for spurs and England before seemingly getting lost in his own hype.

Offline Deano's Mullet

« Reply #171 on: August 14, 2022, 03:54:32 PM »
Walker was OK at Wednesday first two seasons after which he just fell away. I remember the Villa Bugle describing him as chronic in a piece looking at other sides.

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #172 on: August 14, 2022, 04:04:44 PM »
"Milk turns quicker" was used to describe Walker after SGT's England lost in Norway. It was Jasper Carrot saying it but funny nonetheless

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #173 on: August 14, 2022, 04:15:11 PM »
Joe Hart is another one who has fallen so far that he now plays for Celtic.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #174 on: August 14, 2022, 04:18:04 PM »

He played a season at Blose, he's already plumbed the depths.

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #175 on: August 14, 2022, 04:20:53 PM »

To be fair though Walker won league cups with Forest, played in an FA Cup final, played in Europe, a world cup semi final and won many caps for England. I think he lost some of his pace in his early 30s and then like you say disappeared off the scene fairly quickly after that, but he was a brilliant defender and had a fine career.

Agreed but he never reached the heights of his time at Forest where he left when he was 25/26. Maybe it was his move to Sampdoria that ruined him but he only managed a couple of England appearances when he first returned, before he was a regular.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #176 on: August 14, 2022, 04:44:04 PM »

Playing very well in a vastly improved Celtic team. That Aussie coach is someone we should be keeping tabs on.

It's hard to even watch Dele Alli these days he is so bad.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #177 on: August 14, 2022, 04:44:37 PM »
Walker is a crap suggestion, he was still an almost ever-present in the Premier League at the age of 35. In 6 years for Sheffs Weds in the top flight he missed out about 5 games.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #178 on: August 14, 2022, 04:55:09 PM »
Yeah, Risso's choice of Bentley is the winner, honorable mention to Chris with Joe Hart, Des Walker is way off the mark.

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #179 on: August 14, 2022, 05:04:20 PM »
One of the most cultured centre-halves I ever saw playing was Roy McFarland, he played for Derby inthe sixties, seventies and early eighties and was an England international.  Many reckoned he wasn't all that but I don't recall him wasting too many balls out of defence once he'd won it.  A good strong tackler who always seemed unhurried and could pick a pass.

The best was John Charles, what a player, equally adept at centre-half or centre-forward, and but for tragedy who knows what Duncan Edwards would have gone on to achieve.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal