collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by pablo_picasso
[Today at 12:48:20 PM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Woody17
[Today at 12:34:13 PM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by VillaTim
[Today at 12:20:12 PM]

Aston Villa in the FA Cup (cont) by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:58:30 AM]

FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Brian Evans by Dr Butler
[Today at 10:50:21 AM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 10:35:30 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa V Everton Post Match Thread.  (Read 19611 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Aston Villa V Everton Post Match Thread.
« Reply #135 on: August 14, 2022, 10:33:36 AM »
There was everything that is good and bad about Watkins yesterday. Tireless running, but when clear through on goal, he mucks it up, as he often does.

You did immediately spring to mind when he controlled that long ball brilliantly with his head in the first few minutes. I give him a break with that chance near the end as he'd gone up and down the pitch about three times without stopping before it came to him.

He was excellent yesterday, no ifs or buts for me.

His job is to put the ball in the net though. Too many times when he's in a position like that, his final attempt is nowhere near good enough. The Wolves game springs immediately to mind, but there are loads of others.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #136 on: August 14, 2022, 10:36:17 AM »
As much as I like Buendia (and admit I was wrong about him) I think SG might be playing this just right, he’s coming on when the games a little more open, opposition players are a little more tired and he’s making a massive difference. And surely his performances off the bench will spur Phil on to an improvement in form?
Yes but couple of things wrong with that.
We played, virtually with 10 men as Coutinho was so ineffective.
SG only gave Emi decent time on the pitch because Coutinho was injured.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #137 on: August 14, 2022, 10:40:05 AM »
My first visit to Villa Park since before the pandemic. I was sat up in the clouds of the upper trinity and as others have written elswhere the queues for beer were crazy. Why were the booths that only sell beer closed? Understaffed, with no organisation, workers dressed in buttoned-up black shirts looking as if they were about to pass out in the heat. More old-git moaning is the music before and straight after the game - no atmosphere builds and then you get the embarrassing hi-ho Aston Villa chorus. Seems a lot of people like it though.

Onto the match. I thought we looked decent. The midfield is very good - McGinn gets far too much stick, we'd be a much poorer team without him And Kamara is absolute class: Sidesque. Buendia has to start now that he's hopefully fully fit. What was going on with their goal I've no idea. From where I was sat Cash was talking to the bench, Everton kicked off when he was out of position and scored from an attack down our right-hand side. McGinn was furious. Lots to work on but there's definitely a top 8 side there, and with Man Utd imploding sixth place is up for grabs.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #138 on: August 14, 2022, 10:44:26 AM »
There was everything that is good and bad about Watkins yesterday. Tireless running, but when clear through on goal, he mucks it up, as he often does.

You did immediately spring to mind when he controlled that long ball brilliantly with his head in the first few minutes. I give him a break with that chance near the end as he'd gone up and down the pitch about three times without stopping before it came to him.

He was excellent yesterday, no ifs or buts for me.

His job is to put the ball in the net though. Too many times when he's in a position like that, his final attempt is nowhere near good enough. The Wolves game springs immediately to mind, but there are loads of others.

It's not his only job though, he set up two goals yesterday. Hopefully he'll start scoring soon.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #139 on: August 14, 2022, 10:45:10 AM »
As much as I like Buendia (and admit I was wrong about him) I think SG might be playing this just right, he’s coming on when the games a little more open, opposition players are a little more tired and he’s making a massive difference. And surely his performances off the bench will spur Phil on to an improvement in form?

With Watkins getting two assists, Ings scoring and Buendia scoring, I think even Gerrard will be forced to drop Coutinho for Palace.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #140 on: August 14, 2022, 10:54:06 AM »

With Watkins getting two assists, Ings scoring and Buendia scoring, I think even Gerrard will be forced to drop Coutinho for Palace.

I think he’ll have to and a niggle of an injury will be a good excuse.

Offline Goldie.7

« Reply #141 on: August 14, 2022, 11:02:27 AM »
Good performance. Kamara easily the best of the rest. I did think too much goal emphasis was going via Cash at one point. Watkins looked like he found his natural position to me, right winger/forward who cuts in.

Coutinho needs to get back to doing what he does best - driving forward with the ball using his trickery and skill then releasing it accordingly. Lately, all he does is occupy the worst positions possible, comes too deep or overplays it in stupid positions like the bench throw-in line. Just stay forward, in space and good things will happen.

Offline baddowvillans

« Reply #142 on: August 14, 2022, 11:03:43 AM »
Whilst Villa made it closer than we should have by going to sleep after the second, I think its worth remembering that Chelsea only beat Everton 1-0 last week in a game that Everton had a number of chances and were never out of.  We may think Everton are poor but they still need to be beaten amd we did that.  I think for most it's the lack of a clear playing methodology that causes concern and that seems a long way off at present.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #143 on: August 14, 2022, 11:28:15 AM »
I think there's a clear methodology, it's just not particularly effective and I think the players lose faith in trying to carry it out. It makes them indecisive and as a result we look ponderous at times.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #144 on: August 14, 2022, 11:41:14 AM »

You could argue the opposite may have a better effect. Coutinho coming on when Buendia has run the opposition ragged may give him the space he needs. Regardless though, I'd play them both.

Online Drummond

« Reply #145 on: August 14, 2022, 11:43:44 AM »

Yep.

That right-foot touch when clear through that gave himself a shit angle. How many times will he do that? Honestly, he should have scored that chance.

If it had been a keeper or defender making a similar level mistake....

Online Drummond

« Reply #146 on: August 14, 2022, 11:45:58 AM »
We won. Let's hope it's a confidence booster and a springboard...

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #147 on: August 14, 2022, 11:56:34 AM »
anyone catch match of the day, completely different game to the one I saw.

Online Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #148 on: August 14, 2022, 12:06:06 PM »
The main thing yesterday showed us was that football is not a summer sport. It’s therefore difficult to ascertain what we’re trying to do. Even so, what we did do we did well with Kamara the pick of the bunch for me. Bundia gives us a lot of zip going forward and we need that.

Offline robleflaneur

« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2022, 12:07:19 PM »
anyone catch match of the day, completely different game to the one I saw.
Had the same feeling.A two goal margin would not have flattered us but a MOTD viewer would have thought Everton were unlucky.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal