collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Everton Pre Match  (Read 23136 times)

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
Re: Aston Villa v Everton Pre Match
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2022, 12:03:23 PM »
Reposting from a different thread:

Starting to think, in answer to the Watkings question - maybe we start neither? Reckon Buendia could do that false 9 trick very well, giving Bailey someone to run off on the inside right and dragging centrebacks out of position.

I know, I'm overthinking it etc. But the fact is that neither of the two main forwards' names on the teamsheet give me any confidence at 2pm UK time on any given Saturday.

ETH tried this yesterday at Old Trafford and it was a disaster. You and Eric are definitely guilty of overthinking this. We have 3 or 4 striker options, need to use one anyway but with Buendia very close to him.

Offline Monty

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2022, 12:05:51 PM »
And yet it works fine for people who aren't stuck with Scott McTominay in midfield. Just an out the box thought - I agree with Goldenballs that it doesn't really make a difference if we're determined to keep pumping it wide anyway.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2022, 12:35:53 PM »
Based on the evidence to date, he isn't going to drop Coutinho, and it would be odd if he dropped his two marquee signings - Kamara and Carlos. He also isnt going to drop his new captain after 1 game. Throw in the non debatable starters - Cash, Digne, Martinez. Thats 7 of the 11 not up for debate.

Leaves one CH (Konsa, Mings, or Chambers) and three of (pick from Ings, Watkins, DL, JJ, Archer, Bailey, Sanson, Tim, Buendia).

Looking at it, our back 6/7 are basically nailed on starters (and looks pretty solid to me - what my American family call our Defence). All our problems begin when you get into Offence. It's a merry go round, and hardly any of those players (including the undroppable Coutinho) are in form.

I don't think Bournemouth was a one off. The problems run deep. The rumblings of player discontent are a concern - we have seen that movie play out.

Everton will be big, physical, and scrappy - too much for this fragile team right now.

Defeat 1-2.       

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2022, 12:37:57 PM »

Starting to think, in answer to the Watkings question - maybe we start neither? Reckon Buendia could do that false 9 trick very well, giving Bailey someone to run off on the inside right and dragging centrebacks out of position.

I know, I'm overthinking it etc. But the fact is that neither of the two main forwards' names on the teamsheet give me any confidence at 2pm UK time on any given Saturday.

ETH tried this yesterday at Old Trafford and it was a disaster. You and Eric are definitely guilty of overthinking this. We have 3 or 4 striker options, need to use one anyway but with Buendia very close to him.

I think they outdid us in the 'shittest start to the PL season' contest.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2022, 12:41:09 PM »

We cant even win that

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2022, 12:46:04 PM »
I have to say I saw both Brighton goals live as we'd stopped for a drink in Hockley, it did cheer me up somewhat.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2022, 12:46:11 PM »
Whatever the line up, whatever the tactics - please can someone ensure that Dave Woodhall does not say its going to be a walkover in his pre match piece  ;)

That NEVER ends well

I think at most he will change Ings for Watkins, Ramsay for Luiz and possibly Chambers for Konsa

We will not get this midfield conundrum right whilst McGinn is thought of being the answer - i hoped being Captain was to energise him and the team, not rewards him for being the entertainment in the dressing room.

Online Skerra

« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2022, 12:49:26 PM »
My preferred team for Saturday:-

Martinez

Cash            Carlos         Mings         Signed

Kamara

Bailey            Luiz             Coutinho

Buendia

Watkins

Or, if we can sign Haaland before Saturday, play him instead of Watkins!

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2022, 12:50:40 PM »
I quite liked the idea of a double pivot, but making McGinn captain has kyboshed that.  I'd also stick with Ings, but appreciate I'm in the minority on that.  The team will be:

Martinez

Cash    Chambers    Carlos     Digne

McGinn     Kamara    Luiz

Bailey      Watkins    Coutinho

Online Skerra

« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2022, 12:52:58 PM »
I don’t know who signed is, I meant Digne

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #40 on: August 08, 2022, 01:20:04 PM »

Very similar to us. They nearly conceded through the opposition first attack. Being linked with Marco Arnautovic after the game just to rub salt into their wounds too.

Offline villainabroad

« Reply #41 on: August 08, 2022, 01:23:01 PM »
2-0 Villa. Wesley and Anwar.

Offline dicedlam

• GM : 11.08.2024
« Reply #42 on: August 08, 2022, 02:22:14 PM »
Goalkeeper/Defence.

I would make Martinez captain for Saturday and give Kaine Kesler Hayden a start too. Cash has not shown anything during the pre-season and was pretty non effective Saturday. I would also start Chambers ahead of Konsa. He has been far more effective at the back when given his chance.

Midfield.

It has got to be either Luiz or Iroegbunam sitting with Karmara in a defensive two, giving either Kamara or Luiz the license to move forward when on the attack.

Attacking Midfield.

Buendia should definitely start and have him play just behind both Bailey and Countinho on either side. This would allow for Buendia to move back into a central three without the ball, or as a playmaker when on the attack. If we are to play Coutinho, they must play to his strengths and play him further forward without the need to come deep for the ball. I would also keep Bailey where he is for now and I can see both him and KKH striking a great understanding out on the righthand side.

Forwards.

Watkins, although I think Archer should be given a chance up front second half if nothing is working for Ollie.

Summary:

Both KKH and Iroegbunam have impressed and both of them have looked very comfortable when given time in a game. Buendia is key for me. Yes, it is a tremendous amount of responsibilty to be given the role of both playmaker and also have defensive duties, but he has shown he is more than capable and I certainly think he would relish in the role given the chance.

Martinez (c)

KKH    Chambers     Carlos    Digne

Luiz/Iroegbunam  Kamara

Buendia   
  Bailey                            Coutinho       

Watkins

Offline ez

« Reply #43 on: August 08, 2022, 02:40:10 PM »
I'm worried about this one now.  I know Everton lost at the weekend but they made chances. We didn't even do that. I'd take a draw 0-0.

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #44 on: August 08, 2022, 02:53:59 PM »
Good post, Dicedlam. I'm still reluctant for obvious reasons to see Ollie Fenton! Watkins return but I think whoever we put in there are likely to benefit from the service. That side, at least on paper, has a lot of balance. If I was feeling generous I'd probably start Cash but you're right, he's not at the races right now.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal