collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Everton Pre Match  (Read 23622 times)

Offline Legion

• Oh, it must be! And it is! Villa in the lead!
    • Personal Education Services
  • GM : 05.04.2019
Re: Aston Villa v Everton Pre Match
« Reply #60 on: August 08, 2022, 04:20:41 PM »
We are not awful, ok we were on Saturday, but we are better than Everton in almost every position on the pitch.

As we were against Bournemouth before kick-off.

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #61 on: August 08, 2022, 04:29:25 PM »
Gerrard Vs Lampard show.
Aston Villa and Everton remain in the background.
I find that to be intolerable.
From the media's perspective, the focus will be on the team of players' failure to deliver for their coaches.

A fresh possibility for optimism and hope is presented by the first home game of the season!
I don't know how we'll play, but there's a chance for victory because of the weak oppostiton and that in theory we are supposedly to definitely improve from the Bournemouth debacle.
2-0 then but that's more leading in hope than expectation.

Up the Villa

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #62 on: August 08, 2022, 04:31:51 PM »
1-1

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #63 on: August 08, 2022, 04:48:55 PM »
We are not awful, ok we were on Saturday, but we are better than Everton in almost every position on the pitch.

As we were against Bournemouth before kick-off.
Its when the playing football stuff starts.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #64 on: August 08, 2022, 04:50:13 PM »
Goalkeeper/Defence.

I would make Martinez captain for Saturday and give Kaine Kesler Hayden a start too. Cash has not shown anything during the pre-season and was pretty non effective Saturday. I would also start Chambers ahead of Konsa. He has been far more effective at the back when given his chance.

Midfield.

It has got to be either Luiz or Iroegbunam sitting with Karmara in a defensive two, giving either Kamara or Luiz the license to move forward when on the attack.

Attacking Midfield.

Buendia should definitely start and have him play just behind both Bailey and Countinho on either side. This would allow for Buendia to move back into a central three without the ball, or as a playmaker when on the attack. If we are to play Coutinho, they must play to his strengths and play him further forward without the need to come deep for the ball. I would also keep Bailey where he is for now and I can see both him and KKH striking a great understanding out on the righthand side.

Forwards.

Watkins, although I think Archer should be given a chance up front second half if nothing is working for Ollie.

Summary:

Both KKH and Iroegbunam have impressed and both of them have looked very comfortable when given time in a game. Buendia is key for me. Yes, it is a tremendous amount of responsibilty to be given the role of both playmaker and also have defensive duties, but he has shown he is more than capable and I certainly think he would relish in the role given the chance.

Martinez (c)

KKH    Chambers     Carlos    Digne

Luiz/Iroegbunam  Kamara

Buendia   
  Bailey                            Coutinho       

Watkins

I'm excited about KKH but there's no way on earth Gerrard will be starting him for some time to come, unless Cash has an injury.

I'm also interested in how a doiuble pivot would work out, but he's also not dropping his captain and ripping up everything he's been working on pre-season to move to a formation we haven't really tried.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #65 on: August 08, 2022, 06:55:21 PM »
A draw at best because Gerrard will pick the same old formation with the same old tactics. 

Offline Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #66 on: August 08, 2022, 07:25:00 PM »
After Saturday any tactics would be welcome.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #67 on: August 08, 2022, 08:02:07 PM »
I'd go with;

Martinez

Cash
Carlos
Mings
Digne

Kamara
Luiz
McGinn
Buendia

Coutinho
Watkins

A diamond midfield so we don't vacate the space so easily. Full backs need to push high and wide and one of the 8s needs to sit and the other absolutely has to pull wide. Coutinho and Emi to pull into narrow pockets to drag Everton and their midfield central to make way for full backs.

Absolutely more bodies in the box; Emi and Little Phil, Watkins, one of the 8s, the other full back. There needs to be options and the crosses need to be something other than 20/25 yard diagonals.

Ollie has to make it stick and with Phil narrowing up, he and Emi ought to get closer to Ollie so he stands a better chance with his back to goal. Fine to mix it up with a channel ball, get them turned etc.

I think those combinations would get more out of our full backs, give more balance out of possession and do more to disrupt a compact shape.

An emphasis on keeping the ball and being patient. Resisting the long out ball. If we have to go back, so be it. But move it quickly and move to press too with a bit more urgency.

They'll be a performance here and a Villa win. If you're going, be patient, be loud and enjoy yourself.

Villa win. Let's fucking start the season.

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2022, 08:44:19 PM »
Another couple of their defenders got injured at the weekend I think. Coutinho has to show up soon, I reckon we'll win fairly comfortably tbh.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2022, 08:54:44 PM »
They will have their Scouse brother, Conor Coady, playing though.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2022, 09:07:51 PM »
We really need to put in a performance after Bournemouth and put three points on the board.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2022, 09:08:45 PM »
We simply have to improve our crossing and get Cash and Digne to byline and whip balls in. End of last season most of the Burnley 1-1 game seemed to consist of us hitting crosses that Tarkowski headed away with ease so same could happen again.

It will also be low 30s at kick off so it won't be a fast paced end to end game especially at this early stage of the season so that will favour Everton more to slow things down and get a point while we need to be on the front foot early.

We still have much more in final third than them but I think it will be a frustrating 1-1.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #72 on: August 08, 2022, 09:33:46 PM »
Coady and Onana signed for them this week with another on the way apparently. I fully expect a Coady late winner.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #73 on: August 08, 2022, 10:04:47 PM »
We simply have to improve our crossing and get Cash and Digne to byline and whip balls in. End of last season most of the Burnley 1-1 game seemed to consist of us hitting crosses that Tarkowski headed away with ease so same could happen again.

It will also be low 30s at kick off so it won't be a fast paced end to end game especially at this early stage of the season so that will favour Everton more to slow things down and get a point while we need to be on the front foot early.

We still have much more in final third than them but I think it will be a frustrating 1-1.

I still can’t figure out why we didn’t change up what we were doing Saturday. Endless crosses to Ings up against 3 centre backs. Probability of a scoring chance would be low not even accounting for them sitting deep. If we want to carry on like this then we’re going to need a Carew type to win the duels.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #74 on: August 08, 2022, 10:59:46 PM »
I know he's too stubborn to do it, but this is what I'd like to see:

Martinez
Cash   Carlos   Mings   Digne
      Kamara   Iroegbunam
  Buendia Coutinho  Bailey
                Watkins

Only picking Watkins as I think it asks too much of young Archer.  Gerrard won't change the formation to the above but I think it would free up the attacking players and give the full back license to push on. Captain would be Martinez.  Buendia has as much chance of getting a game as I do. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal