collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by walsall villain
[Today at 10:01:51 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 09:56:04 AM]

Ollie Watkins by itbrvilla
[Today at 09:42:08 AM]

Emiliano Martinez - World Cup winner and officially best keeper in the world by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:33:23 AM]

Leon Bailey - signed by PeterWithe
[Today at 09:31:35 AM]

Press-ing on a bit by dave.woodhall
[Today at 09:25:33 AM]

Loanwatch 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 09:21:03 AM]

Lucas Digne - Signed by VillaTim
[Today at 09:18:49 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Aston Villa v Everton Pre Match  (Read 23729 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Aston Villa v Everton Pre Match
« Reply #75 on: August 08, 2022, 11:28:49 PM »
Coady and Onana signed for them this week with another on the way apparently. I fully expect a Coady late winner.

Gana is all but done isn't he? They'll struggle to score still but they won't go down with these signings as they have makings of solid unit when everyone is fit again.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #76 on: August 08, 2022, 11:29:00 PM »
I'd go with;

Martinez

Cash
Carlos
Mings
Digne

Kamara
Luiz
McGinn
Buendia

Coutinho
Watkins

Bailey's got to start though, or that team will be far too pedestrian.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #77 on: August 08, 2022, 11:31:16 PM »
We simply have to improve our crossing and get Cash and Digne to byline and whip balls in. End of last season most of the Burnley 1-1 game seemed to consist of us hitting crosses that Tarkowski headed away with ease so same could happen again.

It will also be low 30s at kick off so it won't be a fast paced end to end game especially at this early stage of the season so that will favour Everton more to slow things down and get a point while we need to be on the front foot early.

We still have much more in final third than them but I think it will be a frustrating 1-1.

I still can’t figure out why we didn’t change up what we were doing Saturday. Endless crosses to Ings up against 3 centre backs. Probability of a scoring chance would be low not even accounting for them sitting deep. If we want to carry on like this then we’re going to need a Carew type to win the duels.

Not always, Digne cross that Cash tucked away nicely v Man. City is one example where it can work well but we never looked likely on Saturday given both FBs were miles away from the box when chipping in hopeful crosses.

Have to be on front foot more so I expect better on saturday especially on set pieces as Everton are weak defending them.

Offline SoccerHQ

« Reply #78 on: August 08, 2022, 11:35:18 PM »
Luiz will come back in, that's an obvious change. Think Buendia and Watkins are also likely to start (at expense of Ramsey and Ings).

Big decision at the back. Mings should return but given what Gerrard has said I don't think he's going to put him back in as that would make him look very indecisive.

If it's purely who plays on the left then Diego will stay in anyway. Bigger question perhaps is why is Chambers behind Konsa in pecking order? He's not let us down at all so far and had some really good games while Konsa has been mediocre in 2022 and not like he's some amazing passer either so I find it bemusing Gerrard is sticking with Ez especially as he missed a chunk of pre season aswell. Chambers coming in would be another logical change anyway.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #79 on: August 09, 2022, 12:22:54 AM »
We simply have to improve our crossing and get Cash and Digne to byline and whip balls in. End of last season most of the Burnley 1-1 game seemed to consist of us hitting crosses that Tarkowski headed away with ease so same could happen again.

It will also be low 30s at kick off so it won't be a fast paced end to end game especially at this early stage of the season so that will favour Everton more to slow things down and get a point while we need to be on the front foot early.

We still have much more in final third than them but I think it will be a frustrating 1-1.

I still can’t figure out why we didn’t change up what we were doing Saturday. Endless crosses to Ings up against 3 centre backs. Probability of a scoring chance would be low not even accounting for them sitting deep. If we want to carry on like this then we’re going to need a Carew type to win the duels.

Not always, Digne cross that Cash tucked away nicely v Man. City is one example where it can work well but we never looked likely on Saturday given both FBs were miles away from the box when chipping in hopeful crosses.

Have to be on front foot more so I expect better on saturday especially on set pieces as Everton are weak defending them.

Man City was a different game. Bournemouth will have been absolutely delighted at our approach. It would have had to be a near perfect ball in between the 3 centre backs, who would most likely need to out of position and then you’re hoping Ings connects well. He’s also not renown for winning aerial duels so it’s not as though he’d been winning knock downs for others in the box. Effectively, our game plan went out of the window after 2 minutes and we did little to nothing to correct it.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #80 on: August 09, 2022, 02:01:56 AM »
Sod 5 at the back, i've come up with a groundbreaking new formation.

Martinez

Cash
Mings
Carlos
Chambers
Konsa
Digne

Kamara

Coutinho

Ings
Watkins

My patented 6-1-1-2 formation.

The genius bit is that the 6 defenders permanently have outstretched arms and hold hands, and by moving sideways to cover attacks no one can get past! And it can't be obstruction if they just stand there holding hands, it would be rather mean to penalise them for being close friends. It also solves the Mings scenario as they all play. And they swing Chambers table football style to kick it to Kamara, who passes to Coutinho, who beats 8 players and sets up a tap in for Ings or Watkins.

It's a work of art and a pretty flawless set up.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #81 on: August 09, 2022, 03:14:54 AM »
My ideal team would be a 41221 formation...

Martinez

Cash
Chambers
Carlos
Digne

Kamara

McGinn
Sanson

Buendia
Coutinho

Bailey

Front 3 have freedom to roam.

Offline Holte Antipode

« Reply #82 on: August 09, 2022, 03:32:24 AM »
What do we make of the behind-closed-doors Liverpool game being binned? (Reportedly with comment that players “now have enough in their legs”).
Seems like that would have been an ideal chance for Chambers, Mings, Sanson, KKH, Traore even, to stake a claim ahead of some of that seaside tosh served up last weekend.

Offline sid1964

« Reply #83 on: August 09, 2022, 06:28:09 AM »
Listening to Gerrards comments after the game on Saturday, I would be surprised if Mings started , unless he shows a change in attitude in training this week

I think the changes will be Chambers / Watkins and Luiz in for Ramsey

Massive game for Gerrard, lose this one and the crowd could turn against him

Offline ldavfc4eva

« Reply #84 on: August 09, 2022, 07:13:07 AM »
The team needs a shake up after the weekend, I’m not sure he will though and I worry he will say to the same 11 “put last week right” which another poster has also said.

I would go for :

Emi

Digne
Mings
Carlos
Cash

Luiz
Kamara

McGinn
Buendia
Bailey

Watkins

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #85 on: August 09, 2022, 08:42:50 AM »
Lampard will play 5 at the back with Coady organising, keep it tight and look to  Steptoes grandson to help hit us on the break.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #86 on: August 09, 2022, 08:55:02 AM »
Lampard will play 5 at the back with Coady organising, keep it tight and look to Steptoes grandson to help hit us on the break.

ha ha  that made me laugh

oh leave orrffff

Offline levico

« Reply #87 on: August 09, 2022, 10:02:20 AM »
Up against a poor side in Everton but I have no confidence that Gerrard has even the slightest idea what he’s doing.

0-2.

Offline DC1874

« Reply #88 on: August 09, 2022, 10:20:44 AM »
It's got "late winner from Coady" via a set piece written all over it hasn't it?

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #89 on: August 09, 2022, 10:28:05 AM »
Rangers, Brentford, Hull, No Job, No Job, No Job, Norwich, The Rags. That's where we recruit our managers from. No wonder we've been shit for so long.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal