collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 22/23 season expectations.  (Read 25405 times)

Offline Scott Nielsen

Re: 22/23 season expectations.
« Reply #75 on: July 26, 2022, 06:56:03 AM »
So surely if more than one of them finishes above us we must be underperforming?

It is of course possible for one or two of them to overperform which does not necessarily mean we underperformed.

I think we need two strong additions to stand a really good chance of finishing 7th or 8th.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #76 on: July 26, 2022, 07:10:12 AM »
We've strengthened Centre Back and Defensive Midfield since the end of last season. We've added some cover at Left Back and that's it.

We need some more ins and outs.
True.  But we also have a fit and motivated Bailey.  That’s 3 significant upgrades to the starting squad for the majority of last season, including the elusive DM which most of us identified as the key problem.

We need to expect more from this team, not accept stuttering to 10th as progress.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #77 on: July 26, 2022, 07:54:30 AM »
We've strengthened Centre Back and Defensive Midfield since the end of last season. We've added some cover at Left Back and that's it.

True.  But we also have a fit and motivated Bailey.  That’s 3 significant upgrades to the starting squad for the majority of last season, including the elusive DM which most of us identified as the key problem.

We need to expect more from this team, not accept stuttering to 10th as progress.
Yeah - the squad is good - and the ambition is there. But I think as it stands we are still slightly unbalanced squad,  a manager who is still learning with a new assistant, and key players that seem to have had long periods of poor form.

If we can fix any of those issues I would be more confident of having a serious challenge for Europe etc

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #78 on: July 26, 2022, 08:53:50 AM »
I don't think it's that unbalanced.  Every club would like to upgrade their strikers, but Watkins, Ings & Cam is a competitive line up.  Not many of the teams competing for 7th / 8th have significantly better 8's than Ramsey, McGinn, Luiz & Sanson.

We can always get better, but this is a good squad.  We're not talking about finishing above Arsenal or Chelsea here, we're talking about finishing above Wolves, Brighton, Leicester and a Newcastle squad that have added a handful of players to a team that was a laughing stock 6 months ago.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #79 on: July 26, 2022, 10:20:30 AM »

I expect far more too. I still think we need a bit more in midfield, because we only have Kamara and if he gets injured we're back to square one.

Move on a few fringe players. AEG, Traore, Sanson (I'd keep him but don't see the point when he doesn't play).

Online Hillbilly

« Reply #80 on: July 26, 2022, 11:06:13 AM »
Nothing less than the double will do. It’s time to start reeling back in the Johnny-come-latelys from south Lancashire and London and showing them who’s boss.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #81 on: July 26, 2022, 11:27:28 AM »
Nothing less than the double will do. It’s time to start reeling back in the Johnny-come-latelys from south Lancashire and London and showing them who’s boss.
I know you're being light hearted and sarcastic, but when our net spend is 5th in the PL over the last 5 years (and also 5th in the last 10 years) and having spent the best part of £30m each on Buendia, Bailey, Digne, Ings, Carlos & Watkins (and having secured Coutinho and Kamara for a song) then I don't think demanding a 7-8th placed finish is that unreasonable.

Offline Beard82

« Reply #82 on: July 27, 2022, 01:17:35 PM »
I know you're being light hearted and sarcastic, but when our net spend is 5th in the PL over the last 5 years (and also 5th in the last 10 years) and having spent the best part of £30m each on Buendia, Bailey, Digne, Ings, Carlos & Watkins (and having secured Coutinho and Kamara for a song) then I don't think demanding a 7-8th placed finish is that unreasonable.
I don’t think this is unreasonable expectation.  I just don’t expect that to happen

Offline Goldenballs

« Reply #83 on: July 27, 2022, 01:44:51 PM »
10th at best.

Offline gpbarr

• GM : 31.03.2017
« Reply #84 on: July 27, 2022, 02:01:47 PM »
Our challenge is that we have had to consolidate (mid-table) first as part of a journey back to being really competitive in the PL. that has meant signing a lot of mid-table quality players over the last 2-3 years (so Mings, Cash, Konsa, Luiz, McGinn, Ings, Watkins,   Nakamba, Buendia, Traore etc). Good players but never going to get us into the top 6/7.

Kamara and Carlos are the types of signings we need to push into that top 6 - add Martinez, Coutinho, Digne - and we are beginning to create a first XI capable of pushing upwards - for me we remain at least two short of a top 7 spot. A top quality striker, and another serious DM.

Overperform - 8th
Perform - 9/10th
Underperform - anything below 10th

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #85 on: July 27, 2022, 02:14:15 PM »
 As mentioned elsewhere - we are not planning to catch the wanker 5

Man City - hard to see if anyone can catch them if Haarland starts scoring
'The Mighty Reds YNWA' - Will be there or there about's (Thanks Fistface) although i think they will miss Sane more than they imagine
Spurs - Have spent very well with a tough bastard as Manager so will be in the mix within top 4
Arsenal - as Spurs without the tough Manager

Chelsea - as a long shot but they seem a little in disarray so someone could catch them
Man U - Not great and certainly could be caught

Firmly in our sights should be

Leicester, Wet Spam

So anywhere between 4th - 6th is potentially possible, 6th - 8th more than realsitic

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #86 on: July 27, 2022, 02:23:17 PM »
I don’t think this is unreasonable expectation.  I just don’t expect that to happen
As a Villa fan I can agree with you there.  I'm normally more of a realist when it comes to expectations, but now we have this squad I think we have to demand and expect more.  I still think West Ham and above are ahead of us squad wise, but everyone else is fair game and non of them are spending anything like we are (other than Newcastle who started from a lower base squad wise at the time of their takeover)

I don't want to hear 10th is progress or good enough.  Because it bloody well isn't.

Offline Scott Nielsen

« Reply #87 on: July 27, 2022, 03:38:13 PM »
Our challenge is that we have had to consolidate (mid-table) first as part of a journey back to being really competitive in the PL. that has meant signing a lot of mid-table quality players over the last 2-3 years (so Mings, Cash, Konsa, Luiz, McGinn, Ings, Watkins,   Nakamba, Buendia, Traore etc). Good players but never going to get us into the top 6/7.

Kamara and Carlos are the types of signings we need to push into that top 6 - add Martinez, Coutinho, Digne - and we are beginning to create a first XI capable of pushing upwards - for me we remain at least two short of a top 7 spot. A top quality striker, and another serious DM.

Overperform - 8th
Perform - 9/10th
Underperform - anything below 10th

This sounds about right to me.

Offline Beard82

« Reply #88 on: July 27, 2022, 04:52:29 PM »
I dont think most people outside of Villa are expecting us to pull up many trees.

https://www.football365.com/news/predicting-positions-other-14-premier-league-clubs

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #89 on: July 27, 2022, 04:56:05 PM »
I dont think most people outside of Villa are expecting us to pull up many trees.

https://www.football365.com/news/predicting-positions-other-14-premier-league-clubs

My 1 year old son could write a better article than that.

"while the signings of Diego Costa – no, not that one" Do you know whay it's "not that one." Because that's not his fucking name, you gormless twat.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal