collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Chris Heck - President of Business Operations by VillaTim
[March 28, 2024, 11:45:01 PM]

COLD BLOW LANE ... 1967 to 1975 ... Did anyone (dare to) visit the Den? by dcdavecollett
[March 28, 2024, 11:02:33 PM]

Youri Tielemans (confirmed) by Somniloquism
[March 28, 2024, 10:54:34 PM]

FFP by AV82EC
[March 28, 2024, 10:36:39 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Villan For Life
[Today at 06:38:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by IFWaters
[Today at 06:20:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by CT Villan
[Today at 02:12:50 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by JD
[Today at 01:37:32 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Brazilian Villain
[Today at 01:07:18 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Percy McCarthy
[Today at 01:05:25 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by The Left Side
[Today at 12:52:12 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 22/23 season expectations.  (Read 25418 times)

Offline LeonW

Re: 22/23 season expectations.
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2022, 08:26:48 PM »
60 points is realistic and achievable. That should give us a decent league placing on average.

Plenty of game time for the likes of KKH, Archer, Tim, etc. That will enable us to see which areas need strengthening next summer (hopefully reduced). Could be break through years for a number of those lads and will show a pathway for future youngsters. I think Villa can steal on march on other clubs by becoming the best club to develop at with realistic opportunities to impress.

Finally, developing the culture at the club. The players need to see that if they perform they play and that reputation guarantees nothing. That being the case, Archer, Bailey and Chambers would probably all be starting against Bournemouth.

All achievable, all indicating further growth.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2022, 08:40:44 PM »
60 points is realistic and achievable. That should give us a decent league placing on average.

Plenty of game time for the likes of KKH, Archer, Tim, etc. That will enable us to see which areas need strengthening next summer (hopefully reduced). Could be break through years for a number of those lads and will show a pathway for future youngsters. I think Villa can steal on march on other clubs by becoming the best club to develop at with realistic opportunities to impress.

Finally, developing the culture at the club. The players need to see that if they perform they play and that reputation guarantees nothing. That being the case, Archer, Bailey and Chambers would probably all be starting against Bournemouth.

I’m not sure basing team selection on alphabetic order is the right way to go.

Online WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2022, 08:44:07 PM »
Top eight is possible, but I worry about our attack. I think we need a focal point, a player who can hold the ball up and bring others into play. A big fucker who can win headers and be useful at corners at both ends of the pitch (we're too small, another reason to keep Tim). If we could get such a player, who would also score 10-15 goals, I'd cash in on Ings and let the remaining attacking players compete for the other 2-3 attacking spots.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2022, 08:45:47 PM »

I’m not sure basing team selection on alphabetic order is the right way to go.

That, or the Mike Bassett approach for calling up Benson & Hedges to the England squad.

Offline Dazvillain

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2022, 08:46:06 PM »
I think Gerrard knows that top half is a minimum. Anything less he needs to be looking over his shoulder. I’d be very surprised to see transfer window close without buying another striker, otherwise that’ll be only playing area he’s not added to in making it his own squad after 2 transfer windows. He did also say that the group needed help and improvement for competition in all areas………

Offline UK Redsox

• GM : 10.02.2025
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2022, 08:52:47 PM »
We've got big dreams
Don't you know we've got
New sensations
Great Expectations

Offline Pete3206

• GM : PCM
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2022, 09:27:19 PM »
I genuinely feel that we could challenge for a Europa League place if we got in another quality attacking option.

As it stands, anywhere between 9th and 15th

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2022, 09:32:34 PM »
This is a proper premier league squad now.  A top drawer centre forward and centre midfielder and it could be top 6.

Offline Abbeyfealeavfc

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2022, 09:37:42 PM »
An FA cup run (and win hopefully)!
A return to an 11th place finish unless we start taking points from teams in the top 8-10 (especially the sl teams), and then maybe we can achieve higher.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 09:39:58 PM by Abbeyfealeavfc »

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2022, 10:00:40 PM »
I think we will finish top ten and would love a cup run.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2022, 10:57:53 PM »

I would be shocked if chambers or archer started v Bournemouth

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2022, 10:59:51 PM »
I get the feeling the club wants a top 8 finish from interviews - so maybe there is more business to be done

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2022, 11:13:03 PM »
I get the feeling the club wants a top 8 finish from interviews - so maybe there is more business to be done

I agree.  I think we are still light in a couple of places and have unreliable or inconsistent players who need to be replaced.  McGinn, Sanson, Mings, Watkins/Ings are all good players but prone to inconsistency and I reckon that drives a winner like Steven Gerrard barmy, but, we have to wait for other clubs to come in for these players because we don't tend to stockpile players in terms of bringing in before we know others will be going.   The owners and Gerrard will play the long game and wait until the next window, or the one after than to sign other targets, whereas, we as fans expect it all to happen this summer.  That isn't a criticism of anyone, as I am as impatient as anyone and want these extra couple of players in sharpish.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2022, 11:25:03 PM »
Absolute bare minimum for me is 10th.

We desperately need to reduce the amount of defeats we had last season, we went on a run of five games and four games losing in a row, that can't be allowed to happen. 19 is unacceptable and we should be aiming for a single digit number. Hopefully the new signings will make us a bit more solid and we'll do well there.

Our 4th season back, we need proper progress, can't afford to have another bad start or season like the last one.

7th is par imo. We really should be aiming for that.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2022, 11:50:56 PM »

I would be shocked if chambers or archer started v Bournemouth

If players believe that good performances and behaviour will be rewarded then there will be genuine competition for places. Just having two players per position won't do this. It won't drive players on in training to improve and therefore could well reduce the overall competitive level which is then transferred to first team performances. Gerrard has talked alot about a 'no excuses' culture and highlighted certain players performances on the tour. We have to see this translated to first team once the season gets under way. Chambers, Bailey and Archer have been very good pre-season, possibly our best performers. If Mings, Watkins, Ings and others start to feel their places are under genuine threat, it will raise their own levels to improve. If Gerrard doesn't deliver on rewarding performances, he won't get to the culture he wants.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal