collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Drinking by the Ground  (Read 26778 times)

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
Re: Drinking by the Ground
« Reply #45 on: July 26, 2022, 08:10:31 PM »
Liverpool City centre is absolutely tiny compared to Birmingham. The towns and cities of the North are villages compared to Brum.

Liverpool on a match day has hotels rammed with day trippers and glory merchants. I know, as I work there and walk up Castle Street with Irish and Norwegians absolutely everywhere. It's why they can charge £750 for a corporate match ticket on a Champions League game for what is my mates normal season ticket seat, in the equivalent of the lower Witton.

Now there's some shifting of the working class for you to actually moan about.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #46 on: July 26, 2022, 08:42:19 PM »
It's almost as if arguably the two biggest clubs in the world are there, and a massive amount of their crowds are tourists staying for the weekend.

Offline Lucky Eddie

« Reply #47 on: July 26, 2022, 08:46:34 PM »
Yes there's obviously fans around but not as in the whole pub is full of villa fans singing and so on just small groups here and there.

The way you make it sound it's like there's a sea of claret and blue on Temple Street.

That area has become VERY popular now even the Trocadero is in with the cool kids. Didn't think that would happen 10 years ago.

The council could do more to advertise that we have clubs in the city , especially us being a premiership club. It's a shame the city centre store closed down as a lack of shop presence is also very bad. Liverpool and Everton are next to each other (I think) and obviously Man Utd / City have a big pull in their Centre.

Even a shop with a cafe/bar could work although that could be a target of rival fans

I'd rather we weren't advertised as a football tourist destination.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #48 on: July 26, 2022, 08:48:16 PM »
Yes there's obviously fans around but not as in the whole pub is full of villa fans singing and so on just small groups here and there.

The way you make it sound it's like there's a sea of claret and blue on Temple Street.

That area has become VERY popular now even the Trocadero is in with the cool kids. Didn't think that would happen 10 years ago.

The council could do more to advertise that we have clubs in the city , especially us being a premiership club. It's a shame the city centre store closed down as a lack of shop presence is also very bad. Liverpool and Everton are next to each other (I think) and obviously Man Utd / City have a big pull in their Centre.

Even a shop with a cafe/bar could work although that could be a target of rival fans

Sadly, we have to be. Get them here and get their money.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #49 on: July 26, 2022, 08:48:28 PM »

What's wrong with tourists?

Offline Ads

« Reply #50 on: July 26, 2022, 08:56:52 PM »
You couldn't be a more obvious troll.

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #51 on: July 26, 2022, 09:03:17 PM »
Well, that's the end of this thread.

Offline Ads

« Reply #52 on: July 26, 2022, 09:12:34 PM »

Sadly, we have to be. Get them here and get their money.

There's no real space for them these days at Villa Park in any great numbers, hence the rebuild of the North I suppose. Liverpool and Man United though definitely synergise the weekend break with the "traditional" English football exprience. They don't mind paying top dollar for a ticket and buying tat out the club shop, much in the same way as we do I suppose if in the US taking in baseball or whatever. Just because.

We're outstripped commercially to such a huge extent and as you say, it's what we have to do and do more of if we want to try to shrink the gap.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #53 on: July 26, 2022, 09:15:37 PM »
Look at BHX on a Saturday in the season for proof. The biggest number of supporters traveling from Ireland is Liverpool, then Manchester United with Villa a distant third.

Offline ADVILLAFAN

• GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #54 on: July 26, 2022, 09:16:44 PM »
Unfortunately they all empty when Fred walks in!

That must be it!

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #55 on: July 26, 2022, 09:17:20 PM »
 Drank in town for a few games last season and saw a few old faces. There seems to be a bit of a shift towards drinking in the city which is due to the dwindling amount of pubs around the ground.If the owners plans come to fruition it will inevitably bring a larger amount of people travelling into the city and using the hotels. I welcome that and look forward to meeting Villa fans from far and wide. The more the merrier as it's an indicator of our growth as a club.

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2022, 09:56:58 AM »
We also lack a good sports bar in the city centre. I find on the continent every bar you walk in will have football on even if it's a replay and shirts on the wall. In Birmingham you struggle to find a good place to watch the football / scores these days . Very,very depressing

Some people like to go in a pub and socialize rather than watching sport. It's fun you should try it sometime.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2022, 10:18:08 AM »
We also lack a good sports bar in the city centre. I find on the continent every bar you walk in will have football on even if it's a replay and shirts on the wall. In Birmingham you struggle to find a good place to watch the football / scores these days . Very,very depressing

Some people like to go in a pub and socialize rather than watching sport. It's fun you should try it sometime.
see above

Offline JD

• Stay Free
  • GM : 19.01.2025
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2022, 10:20:14 AM »
See what above CL?  ::)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2022, 10:27:08 AM »
See what above CL?  ::)