collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Drinking by the Ground  (Read 25760 times)

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
Re: Drinking by the Ground
« Reply #30 on: July 24, 2022, 09:16:49 AM »
Both are rarities - the Diggers because it was empty for so long and re-opened rather than being demolished or converted, the Tavern because there are so few surviving inner city back street locals.
Absolutely. That's why I see it as my duty to drink as much beer in the Tavern as I can. I even told my mrs that I see it as my duty to preserve our local heritage.

Offline Chap

• http://www.chap23.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/
« Reply #31 on: July 24, 2022, 10:03:13 AM »
Thankfully, my ageing waterworks have made this sort of problem academic for me. A couple of pints before the game, and I'm spending the first half in the bogs. I envy you iron-bladdered buggers.

Grandad bladder as my son affectionately reminds me !!🤣

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #32 on: July 24, 2022, 10:40:30 AM »
Both are rarities - the Diggers because it was empty for so long and re-opened rather than being demolished or converted, the Tavern because there are so few surviving inner city back street locals.
Absolutely. That's why I see it as my duty to drink as much beer in the Tavern as I can. I even told my mrs that I see it as my duty to preserve our local heritage.

You’re practically a saint for your dedication to the cause.

Offline Pete3206

« Reply #33 on: July 24, 2022, 01:58:36 PM »
What's The Aston Social (Inn) like these days? Haven't been there for donkeys years after we decided it was just too much hassle, overly packed and found the blokes on the door to be a bit unpleasant, kissing the arse of shall we say, the more unsavoury characters.

Online The Edge

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2022, 03:09:07 PM »

You’re practically a saint for your dedication to the cause.
You're making me blush now. I just like to help local causes.

Offline Bostongbboy

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2022, 04:17:33 PM »
For those who may be renewing membership at the Aston Social. We went down today and renewed, some form of Id is required, so if you are renewing multiple cards get some Id for the cards, the young lady behind the counter suggested that a photo of the Id  ( Bus pass, Driving licence etc) sent to your phone or “ what’s app” to your phone as a last resort may help. You will also have to fill in another form of details for each card, in case changes of address, phone number etc.. so take a pen. Hope this helps H&Vers .

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2022, 05:28:14 PM »
Birmingham will obviously have more supporters in town/digbeth as it's very easy to walk from their stadium into the city centre/digbeth,which to be fair has a nice selection of bars these days.

Birmingham City centre seems busier than ever now on a Saturday afternoon with youngsters and those in their late 40s-60s seeming to opt for afternoon drinking since COVID.

There never really seems crowds of either supporters on a match day in the centre these days the odd group here and there but fairly shocking compared to other big city centres. You'd barely know we had football clubs walking around on a match day.

Liverpool ,for instance on a match day is full of supporters and a real feeling in the air that there's a match on . You'd never know in Birmingham

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2022, 05:43:32 PM »
For those who may be renewing membership at the Aston Social. We went down today and renewed, some form of Id is required, so if you are renewing multiple cards get some Id for the cards, the young lady behind the counter suggested that a photo of the Id  ( Bus pass, Driving licence etc) sent to your phone or “ what’s app” to your phone as a last resort may help. You will also have to fill in another form of details for each card, in case changes of address, phone number etc.. so take a pen. Hope this helps H&Vers .

I'll give that one a miss, thanks.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2022, 05:44:24 PM »
We also lack a good sports bar in the city centre. I find on the continent every bar you walk in will have football on even if it's a replay and shirts on the wall. In Birmingham you struggle to find a good place to watch the football / scores these days . Very,very depressing

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #39 on: July 26, 2022, 05:59:40 PM »
We also lack a good sports bar in the city centre. I find on the continent every bar you walk in will have football on even if it's a replay and shirts on the wall. In Birmingham you struggle to find a good place to watch the football / scores these days . Very,very depressing

Theres an irony with the last sentence

Offline Pete3206

« Reply #40 on: July 26, 2022, 06:05:57 PM »
Brum is full of pubs that show sport.

Online GordonCowansisthegreatest

« Reply #41 on: July 26, 2022, 06:06:58 PM »
Unfortunately they all empty when Fred walks in!

Online AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #42 on: July 26, 2022, 06:46:35 PM »
Birmingham will obviously have more supporters in town/digbeth as it's very easy to walk from their stadium into the city centre/digbeth,which to be fair has a nice selection of bars these days.

Birmingham City centre seems busier than ever now on a Saturday afternoon with youngsters and those in their late 40s-60s seeming to opt for afternoon drinking since COVID.

There never really seems crowds of either supporters on a match day in the centre these days the odd group here and there but fairly shocking compared to other big city centres. You'd barely know we had football clubs walking around on a match day.

Liverpool ,for instance on a match day is full of supporters and a real feeling in the air that there's a match on . You'd never know in Birmingham
Walk up Temple St. or Bennetts Hill and Joint Stock its full of fans on a match day

Online Nev

• GM : 03.02.2022
« Reply #43 on: July 26, 2022, 07:36:05 PM »
Drank in Town most of last season and there were Villa fans everywhere, plus fans of the team we're playing. The most popular pubs have door staff which they wouldn't do if it wasn't required. As for Liverpool, they have a large amount of tourists attending the match who will be staying in the Centre. We avoided pubs showing the early game 'cos they were too busy and it was a pain to get served.

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #44 on: July 26, 2022, 08:05:39 PM »
Yes there's obviously fans around but not as in the whole pub is full of villa fans singing and so on just small groups here and there.

The way you make it sound it's like there's a sea of claret and blue on Temple Street.

That area has become VERY popular now even the Trocadero is in with the cool kids. Didn't think that would happen 10 years ago.

The council could do more to advertise that we have clubs in the city , especially us being a premiership club. It's a shame the city centre store closed down as a lack of shop presence is also very bad. Liverpool and Everton are next to each other (I think) and obviously Man Utd / City have a big pull in their Centre.

Even a shop with a cafe/bar could work although that could be a target of rival fans

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal