collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Right here, right now  (Read 4293 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Right here, right now
« on: July 08, 2022, 12:33:04 PM »
Something I knocked up in a quiet moment.

https://heroesandvillains.info/2022/07/08/right-here-right-now/

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
Re: Right here, right now
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2022, 01:09:52 PM »
Good read Dave.

Offline villa `cross the mersey

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 03:09:56 PM »
Some good points there Dave - the days of finishing sixth are such a dim and distant memory :(

I recently met and spoke with many fans of other clubs whilst on holiday in Greece - in the main the conversations were respectful and positive - Villa still seen as a "big club" with a glorious past, however no one seemed to consider us as likely to break into the top six anytime soon.

Spurs, Arsenal,Newcastle, Leeds and even Brighton fans were of the opinion that they would finish comfortably above us this season.

I am hoping the squad has a good pre-season and that SG and his team of coaches can develop a good team spirit and maybe add a couple of more signings before we play Bournemouth.

Sadly I no longer look forward to the start of a season with the passion I used to - but that is probably down to my age rather than other factors - thankfully I have witnessed great times with this club  - I just hope VCTM jnr , now aged 21, gets the opportunity to witness us win something in the coming seasons under SG  - if not we know where SG lives and we will be visiting him for a chat :)

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2022, 03:24:26 PM »
6th/7th achievable this season.
I don’t see why we can’t have a few seasons like West Ham have had and a good run in the cups.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2022, 04:23:57 PM »
Great read and especially the part of us improving but also relying on some of those above us falling back which is equally difficult

Online Rudy Can't Fail

• http://www.heroespredictions.co.uk/pl/
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2022, 04:25:30 PM »
We've spent some serious money over the years but I'd probably have to go back to the Holy Trinity of Sir Brian, Alan Evans and John Gregory where we had a side that played greater than the sum of its parts. Obviously with so much money in the PL teams were far stronger than when we were relegated and we're still playing catch up.

That said I don't think we've matched the money paid out with our performances except for a few rare occasions. That needs to change this season as does our home form which has generally been pretty poor overall. Right now it's the investment that has kept us up thanks to our owners, hopefully our Manager and squad can start repaying on the pitch. Get it right and anything outside the top two is up for grabs. It's still a massive step but I except us to be equipped for the job. Why not?

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2022, 04:47:32 PM »
I don’t think we have enough up front to bother the top 6 unless we buy someone or Archer turns out to be the real deal, which is unfair on him.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2022, 06:37:55 PM »
I don’t think we have enough up front to bother the top 6 unless we buy someone or Archer turns out to be the real deal, which is unfair on him.

Agree, and would add that we would need our top players to have injury free, outstanding seasons.  That said, West Ham.

Like you say, if Archer can do what he did last season against faster, smarter defences, then we will have a special player in our squad that could make a (if not 'the') difference.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2022, 06:58:21 PM »

Offline ldavfc4eva

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2022, 07:35:23 PM »
Good read Dave, as I have said before the 95/96 season was my first proper season following the Villa. It spoilt me as we have never been as good since.

Online Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2022, 07:58:03 PM »
We've spent some serious money over the years but I'd probably have to go back to the Holy Trinity of Sir Brian, Alan Evans and John Gregory where we had a side that played greater than the sum of its parts. Obviously with so much money in the PL teams were far stronger than when we were relegated and we're still playing catch up.

That said I don't think we've matched the money paid out with our performances except for a few rare occasions. That needs to change this season as does our home form which has generally been pretty poor overall. Right now it's the investment that has kept us up thanks to our owners, hopefully our Manager and squad can start repaying on the pitch. Get it right and anything outside the top two is up for grabs. It's still a massive step but I except us to be equipped for the job. Why not?
I think this is very true about the sum of parts - and also where David moyes has done well at Everton and now West Ham.  We haven’t done it other than the odd game / run since we came back up

I think we’re just gambling on the fact that Gerrard is actually going to be a very good manager who can achieve that synergy.  I thought we would have used his name even more than we have and maybe have a couple of other big signings this summer - maybe they will come

We have done some great business, but can’t see us really threatening the top 8 unless SG develops the team and finds that synergy

Offline cdward

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2022, 08:24:08 PM »
We need to improve defensively. Based on our signings so far this window Carlos, Kamara, Olsen, Augustinson, SG knows it too.
We have to learn from the games where we threw away (2 goal) leads.
Martinez needs to keep a few early clean sheets to grow the confidence,  and i'm hoping that playing with a proper no. 6 in Kamara, we will be harder to beat.
The PL is stronger than ever, so finishing top 8 or 7 will be difficult, but we can give anyone a game, but so can everybody else.

Offline mike

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2022, 10:46:43 PM »
I’ve said before, we have spent a shitload more than Brentford or Brighton and we really should be finishing above them. I think 7th is very optimistic.

Offline Luffbralion

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2022, 06:13:43 PM »
Great article, Dave.  In some games last season the margins were very tight. Hopefully, we have now improved both in defence, midfield and squad depth. With more consistency we could be in with a shout of seventh.

Online N'ZMAV

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2022, 07:48:42 PM »
Still think we need a better midfielder who has energy and can use the ball. McGinn and Luiz are too sloppy. I'd also agree with the thoughts of a top 7 finish if we can find a system that creates and suits one of our forwards, that is if we're not signing one.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 07:52:09 PM by N'ZMAV »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal