collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by aj2k77
[Today at 04:20:27 PM]

Champions League Contention by Dave
[Today at 04:20:14 PM]

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by AV84
[Today at 04:19:27 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Andy_Lochhead_in_the_air
[Today at 04:12:53 PM]

Robin Olsen by KevinGage
[Today at 04:08:45 PM]

Aston Villa Women 2023/24 by AlexAlexCropley
[Today at 04:06:10 PM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Right here, right now  (Read 4295 times)

Offline dcdavecollett

Re: Right here, right now
« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2022, 02:06:49 AM »
as we only lost two games by more than a single goal, a slight but real improvement should mean plenty more points.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2022, 10:32:57 AM »
as we only lost two games by more than a single goal, a slight but real improvement should mean plenty more points.

And it seemed lots of those games/points were lost by pointing the gun at our own feet and firing. The end of that sort of thing would go a long way too.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2022, 11:57:40 AM »
This is very true.  Given what we've spent and the strength of our squad we should absolutely be competing for 7th this season.   It's a shame Arsenal got themselves together and Man U have finally got a top manager, as both looked vunerable.  Spurs look to have done fantastic business this window and look well out of reach.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2022, 12:00:58 PM »
This is very true.  Given what we've spent and the strength of our squad we should absolutely be competing for 7th this season.   It's a shame Arsenal got themselves together and Man U have finally got a top manager, as both looked vunerable.  Spurs look to have done fantastic business this window and look well out of reach.

This is what's annoying me a bit. We still think of ourselves as a top side and there's the belief that we're making progress, yet seventh is all we can aim for.

Offline Hookeysmith

• GM : 06.02.2025
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2022, 01:22:26 PM »

This is what's annoying me a bit. We still think of ourselves as a top side and there's the belief that we're making progress, yet seventh is all we can aim for.

"The problem with success is you become what you detest"

The only way to compete in the rigged deck of the Premiership top 6 financially huge teams is to become one of them.

*Become darlings of the media - huge way to go to even achieve Newcastle or Leeds current standings

*Continue to spend huge sums of cash - But the scum 6 are already 10 years ahead of us so this is only ever catch up

*Hold onto your best players whilst doing the above

*Actually start to get into finals, Europe and win things

Seems easy doesn't it?

Offline rob_bridge

« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2022, 01:57:57 PM »

Leicester managed 2 x 5ths and an FA Cup in recent seasons.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2022, 02:10:20 PM »

Exactly. We have some idea that success is inevitable with our owners and manager then say seventh is the target.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2022, 02:15:06 PM »

Exactly. We have some idea that success is inevitable with our owners and manager then say seventh is the target.

I think it's just being realistic with expectations. A couple of seasons in and around that position and the aims will move higher.

I know what you mean, I had the same thought myself recently, but it's the reality of an overly wealthy league that is packed with great players.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2022, 02:26:30 PM »

"This season" 

Personally I don't think 9th will be progress.  For me 7/8th is minimum requirement and we look to kick on from there.  This means we must finish above either or both West Ham and Leicester and not let the likes of Newcastle overtake us.  We really shouldn't be fucking about with the likes of Southampton, Brighton, Leeds and Palace given the relative strength of our squads.

Online dave.woodhall

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2022, 02:32:39 PM »
We can't keep saying "a couple of seasons". We're buying players who won't hang around that long.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2022, 02:43:21 PM »
We can't keep saying "a couple of seasons". We're buying players who won't hang around that long.

I know.  But I doubt Digne, Coutinho and Kamara realistically expect us to finish above Man U, Arsenal or Spurs this season (although Man U must be a bit vunerable).  Next, possibly. 

This is why I'm sacking Gerrard if we finish 9th.  9th/10th simply isn't progress as far as I'm concerned.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #26 on: July 13, 2022, 05:45:16 PM »

On the flip side, we have players who I would argue clearly aren't good enough if we want to go any higher than 7th (eg McGinn and Watkins) but any talk of replacing them is shouted down as the worst kind of heresy.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #27 on: July 13, 2022, 05:52:59 PM »

On the flip side, we have players who I would argue clearly aren't good enough if we want to go any higher than 7th (eg McGinn and Watkins) but any talk of replacing them is shouted down as the worst kind of heresy.

To me they’re both good enough to be in a squad challenging for the top 6. If Gerrard is to be believed he wants competition for places with fewer guaranteed starters so if he’s true to his word then both will need to perform at the top of their game to keep the shirt. That should raise standards across the board.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #28 on: July 13, 2022, 06:55:58 PM »
Its the perennial work in progress mentality.

Online Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #29 on: July 13, 2022, 07:30:00 PM »

The problem is, in the last 10 years, apart from the a couple of 6 month periods under Dean Smith, we have never had a team that is greater than (or even equal to) the sum of its parts.  Til we find a manager that can do that it will always be a couple of seasons away.

I agree McGinn and Watkins arent good enough for top 6 - but were not going to get anyone better than them easily. 

We need to a manager to get the team to over perform, like west ham have, and then hope our amazing owners then back that up with continued ambition. 

SG has allowed us to get better players, he now needs to make them at least equal to the sum of their parts. 

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal