collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Dave
[Today at 05:03:00 PM]

Re: The NFL Thread (with added College Football) by Proposition Joe
[Today at 05:01:49 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 05:00:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Villafirst
[Today at 05:00:21 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by DB
[Today at 04:59:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 04:58:55 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by LukeJames
[Today at 04:58:20 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 04:57:49 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 279759 times)

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #3585 on: January 12, 2024, 11:36:55 AM »
I wonder whether they've done that politician thing of leaking something really shit so that when the real thing is only quite shit, they'll get credit for it.

They haven't leaked it though, they've applied for a trademark for it. They're not going to have a different badge with no trademark, for hopefully very obvious reasons.

Of course, but they could've trademarked a shit version in the knowledge it would get out. It wouldn't cost much to then trademark another at a later date and I know I'm talking absolute bollocks.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3586 on: January 12, 2024, 11:41:05 AM »
I wonder whether they've done that politician thing of leaking something really shit so that when the real thing is only quite shit, they'll get credit for it.

They haven't leaked it though, they've applied for a trademark for it. They're not going to have a different badge with no trademark, for hopefully very obvious reasons.

Of course, but they could've trademarked a shit version in the knowledge it would get out. It wouldn't cost much to then trademark another at a later date and I know I'm talking absolute bollocks.

All to wind people up? I'm mean you'd do it, I'd do it, not sure Heck would.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3587 on: January 12, 2024, 11:52:22 AM »

He might be one of us Ads. He might be on here. He might be VillaTim.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3588 on: January 12, 2024, 11:55:46 AM »

He might be one of us Ads. He might be on here. He might be VillaTim.

We'd have signed Jermaine Beckford by now if that was the case.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #3589 on: January 12, 2024, 11:59:18 AM »
The new pimped up bling version isn’t going to appear on the shirt though, and it’s still awful anyway. The main problem i have with it is the yellow on sky blue. It just doesn’t stand out. We could do without the 1874 as well. The “Aston Villa” would look far better above the lion, as opposed to the “pouring down the drain” position it’s in now.
Basically it’s amateurish.

Offline AngelsRightBoot

« Reply #3590 on: January 12, 2024, 12:06:58 PM »
You can't put lipstick on a pig.

The design is fundamentally flawed if it sticks to the trademark.

And the process coming up with the design too.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #3591 on: January 12, 2024, 12:08:28 PM »
The new pimped up bling version isn’t going to appear on the shirt though, and it’s still awful anyway. The main problem i have with it is the yellow on sky blue. It just doesn’t stand out. We could do without the 1874 as well. The “Aston Villa” would look far better above the lion, as opposed to the “pouring down the drain” position it’s in now.
Basically it’s amateurish.
Agreed. It is intensely frustrating. The fact that the pimped-up version of the trade marked crest is already in production means that it is definitely going to be the crest. It would take a massive U-turn given what we know about the kit design. I'm baffled why we seem to be hell bent on going against both fan consultation and graphic design expertise.

Offline tomd2103

« Reply #3592 on: January 12, 2024, 12:12:33 PM »
It will be interesting to see the reaction when it's released.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 12:14:11 PM by tomd2103 »

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #3593 on: January 12, 2024, 12:19:25 PM »
I do love the more detailed version of the Lerner Lion

I do too.

It's a shame we don't use it more.

It doesn't work well as a silhouette though unfortunately.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #3594 on: January 12, 2024, 12:20:05 PM »
The fact that it is a minor reworking of Lerner's amateurish crest, which has been a constant throughout our worst period since the early 1970s, is incredibly underwhelming.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #3595 on: January 12, 2024, 12:23:07 PM »
Yes, I agree. It's a good re-working of the Lerner crest lion, but unfortunately the paws and claws look clumsy as a silhouette.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #3596 on: January 12, 2024, 12:25:57 PM »
Yes, I agree. It's a good re-working of the Lerner crest lion, but unfortunately the paws and claws look clumsy as a silhouette.

The Club commissioned renowned artist and engraver Christopher Wormell to design a heraldic lion for our badge which better reflects the Club's heritage, history and attitude.

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2016/04/06/introducing-our-badge-for-201617

Edit- scrap what I said. It was updated in 2016. I thought it was created when Lerner drew the new badge up in 2006 or 2007.

But I was incorrect according to that link...
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 12:32:05 PM by pablo_picasso »

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #3597 on: January 12, 2024, 12:36:57 PM »
I prefer the new one to the round one we have this season.

There, I've said it. My initial reaction wasn't so positive but on reflection it's ours, is different than other clubs (i.e. It's not Chelsea like) and it will soon blend in to the background noise when we continue our march back to the top.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3598 on: January 12, 2024, 12:40:32 PM »
I do love the more detailed version of the Lerner Lion

I do too.

It's a shame we don't use it more.

If I was the tattooing type (I'm not that cool unfortunately) this would be it.

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #3599 on: January 12, 2024, 01:16:34 PM »

This is the level of subterfuge I'm hoping for.

I'm hoping there'll be a 150th anniversary press conference, with Heck sitting in the middle and then he pulls off his mask Scooby Doo style and it turns out it's Unai Emery, and it's all been a fiendish plan to counteract the black marketeers and actually we've got a 150k capacity VillaDrome on the horizon (1,000 people capacity for every year), the best badge any of us have ever seen, we're fucking off the BK8 sponsors to reveal we've swapped to either Cadbury's or HP Sauce (both of whom will use a plain claret logo anyway so you can't see it from a distance), and we have a bloody great kit that everyone else looks at in the way folk were looking at the Scotland 150th anniversary kit.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2024, 01:18:06 PM by algy »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal