collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by AV84
[Today at 04:05:22 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Toronto Villa
[Today at 04:05:07 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Pete3206
[Today at 04:00:54 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 04:00:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VillaTim
[Today at 04:00:30 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by nigel
[Today at 04:00:08 PM]

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by VillaTim
[Today at 03:59:32 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Demitri_C
[Today at 03:59:06 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 279704 times)

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #3450 on: January 10, 2024, 09:42:09 AM »
Take the shitty shield away (why the white border thing???) and it's not totally crap...

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3451 on: January 10, 2024, 09:42:21 AM »
Paul is right. He's here to make more money for the club and he's doing it in numbers the club hasn't done before.

We're in a ludicrous position of challenging for the title, with the richest non-state backed owners, yet we can't chuck millions at the tilt because we are capped by our piddling income. Heck will and is fixing that.

But he isn't. He's squeezing a bit more short term income out and ignoring the effects of having a much bigger North Stand with greatly improved corporate facilities in two stands in two years time, and the big effect that would have on revenue forever thereafter.

We've got stupidly rich owners as you say. They can spend what they like on doing up the ground without getting into any sort of FFP strife. If as you seem to think, they're going to build a new stand elsewhere in Birmingham, then we're probably looking at a minimum of 8-10 years to get that. If they want to knock down Villa Park and start again, depending on how they do it, then probably a minimum of 5 years, with a couple of years of playing elsewhere. To get a stadium much bigger than the 52K the new North would have given us is difficult though because of the Witton Lane housing situation. If they did go down the route of buying up all the houses, whether the residents agreed or were forced to sell, that would extend the process still further.

Either way, we're stuck with a 42K seater stadium for the medium term, with most of the facilities not being fit for purpose. But at least the club shop is going to double its footprint I suppose.

And with a new North Stand we're still left with most of the facilities unfit for purpose and 8000 extra seats barely touching the sides.

You can't have a new North and a new stadium. I'd prefer to have patience and wait for the better option.

I think you'll be waiting a very long time, and all the time you are waiting, we'll have a relatively small ground.
And missing our golden opportunity.  It's all very Doug Ellis really.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3452 on: January 10, 2024, 09:44:55 AM »
Apparently Villa felt the round badge isn't in the villa tradition. We are a shield club.

Tell that to Dennis Mortimer. There is a growing disconnect isn't there.

Well for most of our history up until the 1950s, we had no badge at all on the kits. Then we had a shield for 20 odd years, followed by the circle for 20 odd years, followed by a shield again for the last 30. It's just that most of us middle aged buggers associate the round badge with the most successful time in living memory. I don't really care about the shape, I just want it to be good. Heck's current idea is the worst by a million miles and it needs to get in the bin.

Online Villa in Denmark

• On a road to nowhere
  • GM : 07.09.2024
« Reply #3453 on: January 10, 2024, 09:48:03 AM »
Apparently Villa felt the round badge isn't in the villa tradition. We are a shield club.

Well for most of our history up until the 1950s, we had no badge at all on the kits. Then we had a shield for 20 odd years, followed by the circle for 20 odd years, followed by a shield again for the last 30. It's just that most of us middle aged buggers associate the round badge with the most successful time in living memory. I don't really care about the shape, I just want it to be good. Heck's current idea is the worst by a million miles and it needs to get in the bin.

100% correct.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3454 on: January 10, 2024, 09:56:01 AM »

About right isn't it? Singular lion to start us off on our traditional black shirt, before we actually start putting a shield badge on the shirt in the 50s. Back to a singular lion in the mid-60s.

1973 we get a round badge until 1985 when we drop the badge entirely. Round badge comes back for 1987-88, goes in 1992. Shield badge for the next 30 years of varying design, until this.

We've had a round badge for less than 20 years of our history.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #3455 on: January 10, 2024, 09:57:27 AM »
I dislike pretty much everything about the new badge.  But the thing that irks me the most is the lack of symmetry on the lettering - the space between the words not lining up centrally with the point of the shield.  I'm no graphic designer so those who are please tell me if this isn't possible, but it feels to me you could probably adjust the font and spacing to rectify this?  If not, then surely the solution is to have the name at the top of the badge as per the current shield, not the current mess?

And if the lion is going to be yellowish, why not change it to a more antique gold colour as per the 150 anniversary logo?  Similar to Arsenal's badge (and matching Adidas logo), which looks infinitely better than ours.  Infact, it shows how well a claret background could work in the shield too.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #3456 on: January 10, 2024, 10:02:17 AM »
Fair enough Ads, you have decided to back everything Heck does, on the identity of the club, the cancelling of the redevelopment, the new facilties. You have good reasons for doing so and I understand them entirely.

Let us hope that he doesn't break what we had in the process though.

Offline Ads

« Reply #3457 on: January 10, 2024, 10:06:12 AM »
I dont think pointing out that only a very limited part of our overall history is round badge related means I back Heck on everything, I think it means that the club are correct when they say we've been predominantly sported a shield more than any other.

44 years with a shield (2 as a Birmingham shield, 12 with the FA Cup 57' style, 30 from 1992 onwards) plays 19 as a round badge.

Offline jon collett

« Reply #3458 on: January 10, 2024, 10:07:32 AM »

But that's correct - see Trinity Road entrance and gable and back of Witton Lane.

We had a proper shield for almost all our history until 70s when it was fashionable to come up with strange designs. Round badge belongs with Tony Butler and Tiswas really. The real Villa crest is the shield which adorned Trinity Road gable.

Unfortunately Ellis had no respect for tradition and was constantly tinkering with things to put his own stamp on the club. Look at some of the horrendous shirts we had under him!

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #3459 on: January 10, 2024, 10:09:09 AM »
No problem with the shield - just the execution of it is as bad, if not worse, than the mess lerner made of it.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #3460 on: January 10, 2024, 10:10:41 AM »
I do like a scroll underneath a shield as well

Offline Ads

« Reply #3461 on: January 10, 2024, 10:12:02 AM »

It made it really hard to draw as a kid so I'm naturally averse.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3462 on: January 10, 2024, 10:15:10 AM »
I bet loads of the older fans thought the round badge was shit and some kind of affront to our tradition back in the day.

I say loads but actually is was probably just a few really and most others didn't give much of a shite and were too busy drinking mild and trying to suss out decimalisation.

Offline Ads

« Reply #3463 on: January 10, 2024, 10:16:55 AM »
I bet loads of the older fans thought the round badge was shit and some kind of affront to our tradition back in the day.

I say loads but actually is was probably just a few really and most others didn't give much of a shite and were too busy drinking mild and trying to suss out decimalisation.

Fair points. Paying for your warm pint of Mild with "D". Que? Leaves no time to complain that the spirit of 57' is being trampled on.

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #3464 on: January 10, 2024, 10:17:59 AM »

It made it really hard to draw as a kid so I'm naturally averse.

I perfected the 3-D fancy swirly bits at either end so vote to reinstate it. Also got it tattooed on my arm.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal