collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Ollie Watkins by Hillbilly
[Today at 02:35:51 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 02:32:40 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Ollie Watkins by Hillbilly
[Today at 02:35:51 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 02:32:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 02:31:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by danno
[Today at 02:29:36 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by The Edge
[Today at 02:29:16 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:28:25 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by papa lazarou
[Today at 02:25:58 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 02:23:25 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 279633 times)

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #3270 on: January 04, 2024, 04:16:44 PM »

On here maybe. I bet there are people who like it or don’t particularly care. I don’t think you’re going to get a protest down at the gates if this is what we end up with.

The overwhelming response on Twitter from Villa fans is that it's shit.

So if it’s only overwhelming then agree with me then that it hasn’t united everyone. I think the overwhelming response on Twitter is that it could have been better or different.

Better is so ambiguous.  Your or my "better" is not everyone else's. If we win a trophy with that badge it will become a favourite. As will the shirt.   

I agree entirely. I'm in the it could be better camp. I am sure I could come up with something I would like and others might also, but expecting there to be those who don't like it. My position is that it's just a shame that after the "consultation" that was meant to have taken place this is what they arrived at. But yes, the football supercedes it all.

The real shame is that the first consultation, ie the one that chose the round badge, was more of an actual consultation than this one, which appears to have been chosen by Heck, and prsented to the FAB as a fait accompli.

I don't really care this way or that way about the details of it, but what does bother me is the lingering feeling we're being taken for idiots (see that statement through the Trust last week).

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #3271 on: January 04, 2024, 04:17:55 PM »
Have a look at what you could've won:

AVL" border="0

This is actually very nice. Pity they didnt go with it.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #3272 on: January 04, 2024, 04:20:01 PM »
It's alright. Pretty similar to what we've got.

Offline saunders_heroes

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #3273 on: January 04, 2024, 04:25:08 PM »
It's alright. Pretty similar to what we've got.

Nice contrast between the claret lion on the sky blue background, unlike the awful yellow lion. The “Aston Villa” placing doesn’t look like it’s heading down the plug hole either. Far better than the one we’ve got.

Offline john2710

« Reply #3274 on: January 04, 2024, 04:26:51 PM »
I can understand why the club want to move away from the round badge as it's too similar to the Chelsea one. From a marketing / brand point of view I can see the need to change it. I like the round badge, it's what I grew up with. But as long as the new badge is a reasonable representation of the club, I'm not overly fussed what it looks like.

It's what happens on the pitch that matters.

Online Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #3275 on: January 04, 2024, 04:52:18 PM »
Does anyone even know what the Real Madrid badge looks like? I don't, and it doesn't matter because I know how many European Cups they've won.

Yes 😂

RM's is iconic.

Circular with a crown on top.

Blue sash behind the club's initials.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3276 on: January 04, 2024, 05:31:06 PM »
Does anyone even know what the Real Madrid badge looks like? I don't, and it doesn't matter because I know how many European Cups they've won.

Yes 😂

RM's is iconic.

This is it:

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #3277 on: January 04, 2024, 05:34:57 PM »
They'll have to re-design the badge to accommodate a second star when we win the European Cup.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3278 on: January 04, 2024, 05:50:14 PM »

Yes 😂

RM's is iconic.

This is it:

In fairness that's just about the best out there, and look what good it's done them.

Online FatSam

« Reply #3279 on: January 04, 2024, 05:55:56 PM »
No offense mate but that's bollocks (not the bit about your choices)

The reason we don't shift merchandise like the others is because we've been a crap football team for ages.

We could have Mickey Mouse pulling off Pluto for a badge and if we won the league you'd have kids up and down the country proudly sporting it.
Again, no offence, but that is bollocks. Sporting success and successful brand identity go hand in hand. I’ve got no idea whether the New York Yankees or Chicago Bulls are any good at the moment, but their merchandise is everywhere. Having a clear, bold visual identity is key. I wrote previously that I haven’t really bought any merchandise since the Lerner crest came in. If I’m like that as an ardent fan, what must the casual fan be like?

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #3280 on: January 04, 2024, 06:01:58 PM »

Yes 😂

RM's is iconic.

This is it:

In fairness that's just about the best out there, and look what good it's done them.

It is very simple but effective

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3281 on: January 04, 2024, 06:02:04 PM »
I refer you to the post above yours.

Offline KRS

« Reply #3282 on: January 04, 2024, 06:13:46 PM »
No offense mate but that's bollocks (not the bit about your choices)

The reason we don't shift merchandise like the others is because we've been a crap football team for ages.

We could have Mickey Mouse pulling off Pluto for a badge and if we won the league you'd have kids up and down the country proudly sporting it.
Again, no offence, but that is bollocks. Sporting success and successful brand identity go hand in hand. I’ve got no idea whether the New York Yankees or Chicago Bulls are any good at the moment, but their merchandise is everywhere. Having a clear, bold visual identity is key. I wrote previously that I haven’t really bought any merchandise since the Lerner crest came in. If I’m like that as an ardent fan, what must the casual fan be like?
Exactly. This is what I‘ve been trying to articulate myself. As an example, I have absolutely no affiliation or fondness for baseball or the NY Yankees, but one of the items on my shopping list on my visit to New York was a Yankees cap. We also attended a game and spent a small fortune on food/drink/merchandise at Yankee Stadium…and not once did we consider if the Yankees were any good or not. The same can be said when we went to see the Giants at the MetLife. It may not apply to everyone, but as a sports fan the branding of these teams did influence our purchasing decisions…and I’ve spent more on those teams which I have absolutely no affiliation to than I have on my own football clubs merchandise in recent years.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 06:15:23 PM by KRS »

Offline Weedy

« Reply #3283 on: January 04, 2024, 06:22:29 PM »
Well at least we aren't going back to the 70s, as Leeds and Newcastle fans will attest, that was a time best forgotten:

Did that re-brand help or hinder their respective clubs?

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3284 on: January 04, 2024, 06:24:16 PM »

On here maybe. I bet there are people who like it or don’t particularly care. I don’t think you’re going to get a protest down at the gates if this is what we end up with.

The overwhelming response on Twitter from Villa fans is that it's shit.

So if it’s only overwhelming then agree with me then that it hasn’t united everyone. I think the overwhelming response on Twitter is that it could have been better or different.

Better is so ambiguous.  Your or my "better" is not everyone else's. If we win a trophy with that badge it will become a favourite. As will the shirt.   

I agree entirely. I'm in the it could be better camp. I am sure I could come up with something I would like and others might also, but expecting there to be those who don't like it. My position is that it's just a shame that after the "consultation" that was meant to have taken place this is what they arrived at. But yes, the football supercedes it all.

The real shame is that the first consultation, ie the one that chose the round badge, was more of an actual consultation than this one, which appears to have been chosen by Heck, and prsented to the FAB as a fait accompli.

I don't really care this way or that way about the details of it, but what does bother me is the lingering feeling we're being taken for idiots (see that statement through the Trust last week).

Yep. Can’t argue with that.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal