collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 279808 times)

Offline Nii Lamptey

Re: Crest Review
« Reply #3255 on: January 04, 2024, 03:09:10 PM »
Still think that aesthetically our name and lion symbol fit more comfortably into a round design. Fitting ASTON VILLA text into a horizontal space across the top of a shield is always going to be tough ask, having to reduce the font size to fit it all in, thus making it look cramped and difficult to read from distance - You can kind of see why the Lerner badge opted for 'AVFC' instead.

Really don't like the arched text on some of these shield designs either, the only benefit being that it reduces the negative space around the lion in the top corners of the shield - The current implementation of ASTON VILLA and 1874 on our round crest is perfect imo, and only needs minor tweaks as seen in my hack job a few pages back.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #3256 on: January 04, 2024, 03:15:41 PM »
Name me a football club that became more successful because they designed a better badge.
A new badge/identity isn’t about becoming successful; its about perceived image “locally, globally and commercially”, and the financial impact of each of those (whether it be merchandise sales from local fans, being more attractive to football fans from around the world, or creating new partnerships). As a simple example, I would like to spend money on Villa merchandise but I haven’t done so for years because I dislike the badge and associated merchandise…and this is one of the reasons why Villa have struggled with this side of the business for so long compared to other clubs of similar stature.

No offense mate but that's bollocks (not the bit about your choices)

The reason we don't shift merchandise like the others is because we've been a crap football team for ages.

We could have Mickey Mouse pulling off Pluto for a badge and if we won the league you'd have kids up and down the country proudly sporting it.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 03:17:55 PM by LeeB »

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #3257 on: January 04, 2024, 03:20:08 PM »
Name me a football club that became more successful because they designed a better badge.
A new badge/identity isn’t about becoming successful; its about perceived image “locally, globally and commercially”, and the financial impact of each of those (whether it be merchandise sales from local fans, being more attractive to football fans from around the world, or creating new partnerships). As a simple example, I would like to spend money on Villa merchandise but I haven’t done so for years because I dislike the badge and associated merchandise…and this is one of the reasons why Villa have struggled with this side of the business for so long compared to other clubs of similar stature.

The reason we don't shift merchandise like the others is because we've been a crap football team for ages.

We could have Mickey Mouse pulling off Pluto for a badge and if we won the league you'd have kids up and down the country proudly sporting it.

They would absolutely never allow this. Disney would have a fit.

Mickey is the star, if anyone's getting pulled off, it's him.

Offline Grande Pablo

« Reply #3258 on: January 04, 2024, 03:25:49 PM »
The copyright for the Steamboat Willy version of Micky & Minnie expired on December 31st so anything is possible.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #3259 on: January 04, 2024, 03:30:23 PM »
I'm ultimately not that bothered but I find the fact they thought a shadow on the lion looks good extremely baffling. It makes it look so amateurish. I disagree with a lot of the choices they have made but that one in particular... I just can't get my head around.

Offline KRS

« Reply #3260 on: January 04, 2024, 03:37:40 PM »

Keep Mickey out of this! 😂

I strongly disagree. I’ve already given a clear example of myself personally (and friends/family as it happens), I’ve read other similar comments from posters on here, and so there’s no doubt that the weak badge/branding has impacted merchandise sales.

Whilst success on the pitch does go hand in hand with exposure to new fans, the same issue also applies to having a strong identity for attracting new fans here and around the world. By way of example, it is reasonable to suggest that a lot of NFL, MLB and NBA fans outside of USA pick their allegiance on the brand identify of the team rather than simply who is the most successful at the time (although that is obviously the case for the glory hunter types).

If you can’t see or understand this basic concept then I don’t quite know what to say tbh…but may be the simple fact that the club took it upon themselves to embark on this revamp project for these very reasons should be a good indicator.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 03:47:43 PM by KRS »

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #3261 on: January 04, 2024, 03:39:13 PM »
The shadow thing is shit. Just looks stupid and superfluous. What’s interesting as you look at and read fan perspective is that it is a bit all over the shop. There are definitely better designs out there but consensus is hard to find. A lot of people are polishing up this turd so there is that. But no one badge seems to unite everyone which is probably to be expected.

Offline Sexual Ealing

• GM : PCM
« Reply #3262 on: January 04, 2024, 03:40:13 PM »
Does anyone even know what the Real Madrid badge looks like? I don't, and it doesn't matter because I know how many European Cups they've won.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3263 on: January 04, 2024, 03:41:12 PM »
But no one badge seems to unite everyone which is probably to be expected.

To be fair, Heck's one has, just not in the way he was probably hoping for.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #3264 on: January 04, 2024, 03:42:48 PM »
Does anyone even know what the Real Madrid badge looks like? I don't, and it doesn't matter because I know how many European Cups they've won.

Ultimately it will boil down to what we do on the pitch. I think it’s more this has been such a drawn out process. It didn’t need to be. The badge is important just not critical relative to the team and its performance. But to end up with this after so much public involvement and scrutiny all seems a bit shit. But, yeh, whatever it is eventually gets forgotten if the side is doing the business.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #3265 on: January 04, 2024, 03:44:05 PM »
But no one badge seems to unite everyone which is probably to be expected.

To be fair, Heck's one has, just not in the way he was probably hoping for.

On here maybe. I bet there are people who don’t use the internet as much as might or never use Twitter who like it or don’t particularly care. I don’t think you’re going to get a protest down at the gates if this is what we end up with.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #3266 on: January 04, 2024, 03:45:27 PM »

On here maybe. I bet there are people who like it or don’t particularly care. I don’t think you’re going to get a protest down at the gates if this is what we end up with.

The overwhelming response on Twitter from Villa fans is that it's shit.

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #3267 on: January 04, 2024, 03:59:01 PM »

On here maybe. I bet there are people who like it or don’t particularly care. I don’t think you’re going to get a protest down at the gates if this is what we end up with.

So if it’s only overwhelming then agree with me then that it hasn’t united everyone. I think the overwhelming response on Twitter is that it could have been better or different.

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #3268 on: January 04, 2024, 04:09:11 PM »

So if it’s only overwhelming then agree with me then that it hasn’t united everyone. I think the overwhelming response on Twitter is that it could have been better or different.

Better is so ambiguous.  Your or my "better" is not everyone else's. If we win a trophy with that badge it will become a favourite. As will the shirt.   

Offline Toronto Villa

« Reply #3269 on: January 04, 2024, 04:14:19 PM »

Better is so ambiguous.  Your or my "better" is not everyone else's. If we win a trophy with that badge it will become a favourite. As will the shirt.   

I agree entirely. I'm in the it could be better camp. I am sure I could come up with something I would like and others might also, but expecting there to be those who don't like it. My position is that it's just a shame that after the "consultation" that was meant to have taken place this is what they arrived at. But yes, the football supercedes it all.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal