collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 02:52:18 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 02:48:28 PM]

Season Tickets - 2023/24 by Max Villan
[Today at 02:15:30 PM]

Peter McParland 90 today by jon collett
[Today at 02:13:38 PM]

Ex- Villa Players still playing watch by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 01:53:30 PM]

Unai Emery - our manager by Ian.
[Today at 01:48:55 PM]

Saturday night fever - Chelsea at home by dave.woodhall
[Today at 01:23:49 PM]

Diego Carlos by OCD
[Today at 01:21:52 PM]

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by KevinGage
[Today at 02:52:18 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 02:51:36 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Lastfootstamper
[Today at 02:48:28 PM]

Re: Ollie Watkins by Hillbilly
[Today at 02:35:51 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by VILLA MOLE
[Today at 02:32:40 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by lovejoy
[Today at 02:31:34 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by danno
[Today at 02:29:36 PM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by The Edge
[Today at 02:29:16 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 279640 times)

Online AV84

Re: Crest Review
« Reply #2925 on: December 29, 2023, 11:16:00 AM »
Claret and blue complement each other brilliantly. There's no reason for a yellow lion. Or any yellow at all, really.

Again, I only skimmed through the meeting notes, but it sounded like most of the the people involved at these meetings wanted the claret lion, but the club has decided to stick with the yellow. No idea what the surveys said on that matter though.

I think the whole fan consultation thing is just a handy way for the club to do whatever they like. This relatively small site is proof that a group of people will never agree on things like this. Get a couple of thousand involved and you're unlikely to get any sort of unanimous decisions.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #2926 on: December 29, 2023, 11:34:05 AM »
I think the whole fan consultation thing is just a handy way for the club to do whatever they like. This relatively small site is proof that a group of people will never agree on things like this. Get a couple of thousand involved and you're unlikely to get any sort of unanimous decisions.
I think that pretty astute to be honest.
I don't expect the new badge to be objectively better than Lerner's "design by commitee" effort.

Offline Simon Page

« Reply #2927 on: December 29, 2023, 11:52:47 AM »
Is it really that complicated?

Club chooses between old Trinity Road shield or round badge, in claret and blue.
Most people are fine with it, some ecstatic, some will never forgive.
We keep giving them money and tat sales are unaffected.

It's only when you go all Consignia and try to introduce a brand story in tangerine and lime that people really take against you, but this has to be the most risk-free logo doodling exercise ever. As long as they don't start reversing cats, introducing fades, trying out joined up writing, most people will be okay.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2928 on: December 29, 2023, 12:13:07 PM »
They haven't kept the Lerner badge.

Can you allude to any details on what it actually is? Purely in a hypothetical scenario of course? Feel free to DM if you can’t post

Online AV84

« Reply #2929 on: December 29, 2023, 12:21:32 PM »

Can you allude to any details on what it actually is? Purely in a hypothetical scenario of course? Feel free to DM if you can’t post

Did the fan group have to sign NDA's or something. It's amazing to me that everyone who was at it has apparently seen at least a mock up of it, and none of them have spilled any specific details. Although I suppose there's a limited number of people to point the finger at if anything did leak, and they could have their access to these things cut off.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #2930 on: December 29, 2023, 12:23:16 PM »
Claret and blue complement each other brilliantly. There's no reason for a yellow lion. Or any yellow at all, really.

They do. Claret on blue, or blue on claret. Strong contrast.

However, from a design perspective, yellow or gold on a claret background has fantastic contrast & gives a rich, historic feel.

Yellow or gold on light blue however, the contrast is shit, the yellow is washed out & feels faded against the tone of the background. This has a cheap feel to it.

« Last Edit: December 29, 2023, 12:32:07 PM by pablo_picasso »

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #2931 on: December 29, 2023, 12:29:08 PM »
I think that pretty astute to be honest.
I don't expect the new badge to be objectively better than Lerner's "design by commitee" effort.

Lerners wasn't design by committee.

There was no real consultation with the fans other than Krulak over on VillaTalk waffling on about his mate Randy wanting the best modernised design.

I think Lerner drew it on a napkin during some cocktails & then got his nephew to knock it up in Word, along with that god awful chequered pattern after he discovered the align tool..

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2932 on: December 29, 2023, 12:35:36 PM »

Did the fan group have to sign NDA's or something. It's amazing to me that everyone who was at it has apparently seen at least a mock up of it, and none of them have spilled any specific details. Although I suppose there's a limited number of people to point the finger at if anything did leak, and they could have their access to these things cut off.

If someone tells me something in confidence I tend not to repeat it, both out of courtesy and also because there's no point in alienating future souces. As we've always said on here, anyone who claims to be ITK and makes confidential information public won't get any more of it.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #2933 on: December 29, 2023, 12:57:50 PM »

However, from a design perspective, yellow or gold on a claret background has fantastic contrast & gives a rich, historic feel.

Yellow or gold on light blue however, the contrast is shit, the yellow is washed out & feels faded against the tone of the background. This has a cheap feel to it.

This....every day of the week!
It's why the stand alone lion would work so well.
And p_p and I should know....we're both "artists" of a sort!

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #2934 on: December 29, 2023, 12:58:22 PM »

Yes, the yellow/ gold piping and lettering on the claret does look nice. The yellow lion on the blue background doesn't.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2935 on: December 29, 2023, 01:55:45 PM »

If someone tells me something in confidence I tend not to repeat it, both out of courtesy and also because there's no point in alienating future souces. As we've always said on here, anyone who claims to be ITK and makes confidential information public won't get any more of it.

It's supposed to be the the offoical Fan Advisory Board though, which unless I'm mistaken they're required to have as part of Premier League rules. In which case, they've no business insisting anything is off the record or shouldn't be reported back.

Online Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #2936 on: December 29, 2023, 02:31:35 PM »
I bet it's shit.

Then we'll have to do a Leeds/Everton and get it changed back.

There really is no reason not to use the current one, as in the one on the shirts this season.

This is Lerner's fault imo. There was no need to change the crest when he came in.

Offline Billy Walker

« Reply #2937 on: December 29, 2023, 02:54:21 PM »
I bet it's shit.

There really is no reason not to use the current one, as in the one on the shirts this season.

This is Lerner's fault imo. There was no need to change the crest when he came in.

The Ellis-era stripey shield monstrosity needed to go (in my humble opinion) - whenever I see it it reminds me of the frustrations of those years and the mediocrity that Ellis brought to everything he touched.

Offline frankmosswasmyuncle

• GM : 05.09.2024
« Reply #2938 on: December 29, 2023, 03:00:03 PM »
I bet it's shit.

Can't blame Lerner for wanting a bit of a rebrand...as p_p said earlier it's the colour that detracts from the clear and simple design....a claret lion instead of the yellow one and that crest is absolutely fine.

Online Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #2939 on: December 29, 2023, 03:49:38 PM »
I bet it's shit.

The Ellis-era stripey shield monstrosity needed to go (in my humble opinion) - whenever I see it it reminds me of the frustrations of those years and the mediocrity that Ellis brought to everything he touched.

That's exactly how I feel about Lerner's one. But the previous one just says Aston Villa in the Premier League era, to me. It might have been bad under Ellis but Lerner's time nearly killed us.

Would you go back to the Ellis era but instead of stripes, a light blue background with claret lion?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal