collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by itbrvilla
[Today at 09:52:16 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:51:55 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 09:51:44 PM]

Player Discipline, Bookings and Suspension by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:28:43 PM]

Robin Olsen by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:25:36 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 280054 times)

Offline Duncan Shaw

Re: Crest Review
« Reply #2340 on: October 03, 2023, 12:50:34 PM »
I've just done it, they really want to go back to a shield don't they, must be an American thing. 

I've basically said the round league/euro cup 1980s badge is perfect (can add a star, not fussed) and I always will, because that is "my" era.

Randy's shield can go jump in the sea!

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #2341 on: October 03, 2023, 12:55:40 PM »
A shield as per the old Trinity - including Aston Villa and a distinctive lion, wouldn't be the end of the world. Designed in such a way that those three key elements (I'm guessing claret outline, text and lion, blue background) can be used in any combination; from a website favicon, to a club blazer, to the badge on a shirt, to a banner in the ground to the side of the stand.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2342 on: October 03, 2023, 01:06:23 PM »
I’d be happy with this

Online AV84

« Reply #2343 on: October 03, 2023, 01:24:52 PM »
The last time, when the option was shield or round, was there any mock ups of the shield on things? Shirts, around the ground, etc?

I only seem to be able to find the two badge options but nothing else.

Offline PeterWithe

• GM : 12.02.2025
« Reply #2344 on: October 03, 2023, 01:25:35 PM »
Are the questions different from last time, I cant remember?

Online AV84

« Reply #2345 on: October 03, 2023, 01:30:29 PM »
Never mind, i found a few....

I don't mind that, it's quite simple, allows for the use of the standalone lion at times, if necessary, would look good on a good kit with a good sponsor. If that, or some variation of it, is what they're pushing for, I don't mind. (Looks better without the star but I'm not losing sleep over it)

Online The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2346 on: October 03, 2023, 01:36:28 PM »
Just catching up. What's all this? We already have a new round badge.

Offline Russ aka Big Nose

« Reply #2347 on: October 03, 2023, 01:38:13 PM »
I suspect the appeal to the club of having a shield design (or for that matter a circle) is that the visual identity, to use the lingo, is enclosed and therefore it is much less likely that "the integrity of the brand is diminished".

Brand identity guidelines make a big deal of keeping space around the identity as well as not using different backgrounds and colours.

If the image was the lion plus 'Aston Villa' or 'Prepared' or whatever, that becomes a lot harder to prevent, especially when people, other than the club, 'crowd' the identity by having other images or words too close.

Modern designs also look to be "clean", i.e., limited detail and no thin lines, so that they look the same even when small and/or when the resolution on screen or in print is poor.

It's possible to not be completely obsessive about this kind of stuff and have an enclosed identity plus one or two exceptions, like on the pocket of the suits club officials wear - which looks great. UTV.

Offline Rico

« Reply #2348 on: October 03, 2023, 04:38:30 PM »
After the fiasco of last season's fan badge/crest survey, the next one had better be absolutely amazing.

Online Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #2349 on: October 03, 2023, 04:42:06 PM »

I don't mind that, it's quite simple, allows for the use of the standalone lion at times, if necessary, would look good on a good kit with a good sponsor. If that, or some variation of it, is what they're pushing for, I don't mind. (Looks better without the star but I'm not losing sleep over it)

Its still got that star on it. Shit imo.

What's wrong with going back to the previous one (before Lerner) and using that lion for whatever they want it for? Nobody can complain then. I'm sick of this star.

Offline aldridgeboy

« Reply #2350 on: October 04, 2023, 03:54:19 PM »
I’ve just done the survey. It read very much to me that they want a shield.
I really like the new one. I don’t  care either way about the star.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #2351 on: October 04, 2023, 05:35:48 PM »

I actually don't mind that one at all.  The star and the 1874 could go where the lion is on the back of the shirt in that one picture.

Don't know if the lion should be the same golden colour as the 'Aston Villa' on the home badge at least and whether the light blue border is needed as the badge could just be a darker shade of claret.

« Last Edit: October 04, 2023, 05:38:48 PM by tomd2103 »

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #2352 on: October 04, 2023, 05:44:32 PM »
I’d be happy with this

I would be happy with that shirt and badge next season

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2353 on: October 04, 2023, 05:48:46 PM »
The main problem with the current new badge is that, displayed smaller, it doesn't really work very well on digital, as all those little details get lost.

I bet the new one is very clean and minimalist. If there's a 'surround' to it, ie a circle or a shield, it won't be a thick one with writing in it like the current round one.

It'll be, as discussed before, a design that can be used in differing formats, ie like the Liverpool one.

Have to say, and i hate to do this as they're wankers, but the Wolves badge is very good. Very clean, distinctive, works well in all delivery formats.

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #2354 on: October 04, 2023, 06:01:46 PM »
The main problem with the current new badge is that, displayed smaller, it doesn't really work very well on digital, as all those little details get lost.

I bet the new one is very clean and minimalist. If there's a 'surround' to it, ie a circle or a shield, it won't be a thick one with writing in it like the current round one.

It'll be, as discussed before, a design that can be used in differing formats, ie like the Liverpool one.

Have to say, and i hate to do this as they're wankers, but the Wolves badge is very good. Very clean, distinctive, works well in all delivery formats.

Dont worry they are still wankers

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal