collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Re: Robin Olsen by Chris Harte
[Today at 12:59:13 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:59:06 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by colin69
[Today at 12:59:02 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by KevinGage
[Today at 12:56:52 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 12:56:47 AM]

Re: Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Somniloquism
[Today at 12:56:00 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by Chris Harte
[Today at 12:54:21 AM]

Re: Robin Olsen by KevinGage
[Today at 12:53:20 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 280220 times)

Online edgysatsuma89

Re: Crest Review
« Reply #2100 on: July 25, 2023, 01:03:44 AM »
I can’t remember when I made the jump to join the forum as I can’t see it on the mobile version but I can see my first post was in 2012. H&V was my Villa lifeline as an early teenager growing up in Spain with ropey Internet and access to Sky. I had my first letter printed in the mag at 11 in about 2002 before we moved which my German teacher noticed and said I was far too old for my time.

However, I definitely remember around the time of the new badge reading on here (either as a lurker or non-member) the absolute need for a star and a lot of discussion around that unreachable star dirge from a Honda advert being a club anthem. The Lerner badge - I’ve never liked but I’ve just gotten used to it, but I definitely remember people banging on about the star.

I threw up a little in my mouth reading that second paragraph. That's 'lifetime ban' shit right there.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #2101 on: July 25, 2023, 01:12:31 AM »
I can’t remember when I made the jump to join the forum as I can’t see it on the mobile version but I can see my first post was in 2012.

July 5, 2011.

Offline Ducksworthy

• GM : 20.02.2025
« Reply #2102 on: July 25, 2023, 01:21:21 AM »
I can’t remember when I made the jump to join the forum as I can’t see it on the mobile version but I can see my first post was in 2012.

July 5, 2011.

Ta! Will definitely have just been reading Heroes Discussion before joining then as I remember having a look the day Ashley Young signed in an IT lesson and reading the Krulak thread regularly.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2103 on: July 25, 2023, 09:23:57 AM »
I can’t remember when I made the jump to join the forum as I can’t see it on the mobile version but I can see my first post was in 2012. H&V was my Villa lifeline as an early teenager growing up in Spain with ropey Internet and access to Sky. I had my first letter printed in the mag at 11 in about 2002 before we moved which my German teacher noticed and said I was far too old for my time.

However, I definitely remember around the time of the new badge reading on here (either as a lurker or non-member) the absolute need for a star and a lot of discussion around that unreachable star dirge from a Honda advert being a club anthem. The Lerner badge - I’ve never liked but I’ve just gotten used to it, but I definitely remember people banging on about the star.
Yes the star had a lot of backers at the time.  I reckon most people have just moved on now and realise it's probably a bit fussy / small time.  But you do still see a lot of people demanding it on Twitter & FB etc. 

I think sometimes a bit of groupthink creeps in to some forums / communities.  Here I think it's fair to say most would get rid of the star.  But there will be other places prominent posters feel it's the most important thing ever and I suspect the general view in those places will be to keep it.  Unfortunately, it's often a case of he who shouts loudest.  You just need a few with a strong opinion to turn up to the fan forum type meetings and you end up with stuff like stars, or God forbid, a vote away from a lamp shaped badge. 

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2104 on: July 25, 2023, 06:34:37 PM »
Apparently the young people went for the star in a big way. I don't trust young people.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #2105 on: July 25, 2023, 06:36:01 PM »
Apparently the young people went for the star in a big way. I don't trust young people.
But they get carried along by a few influential voices.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #2106 on: July 25, 2023, 06:39:57 PM »

That's the trouble. I've said many a time that the whole badge saga was an object lesson in asking people what you wanted them to say in the first place.

Offline 85kota

« Reply #2107 on: July 25, 2023, 06:40:57 PM »
The problem with fan consultation is that design by committee never works.

Offline Ducksworthy

« Reply #2108 on: July 25, 2023, 07:16:29 PM »

That's the trouble. I've said many a time that the whole badge saga was an object lesson in asking people what you wanted them to say in the first place.

I’d generally agree but to be honest I think it’s currently fine. Fine is about as good as I can say.

I’d push back on behalf of the “young people” and say my entire life Villa have had a shield so the whole circle badge is to appease and appeal to an influential older contingent with disposable income (in my opinion.) We’re stuck with the star because it was asked for at the time Lerner fired up his MS Paint by a sizeable contingent who now don’t like it. It’s certainly tired but we’re told to celebrate it by the club when people really want to be kicking off into the future.

Will see what comes out next but I’d rather they had a proper strategy than try and cobble a brand together. Don’t really care about the Lerner badge being used at the same time whilst we sort it - as I said above, I’ve just gotten used to it whilst not having any affection for it.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 07:18:24 PM by Ducksworthy »

Offline Border villan

• Carrying out missionary work on the Welsh border.
« Reply #2109 on: July 25, 2023, 07:34:18 PM »
Pick any bits you like out of this one.

TWO lions rampant facing opposite ways, their backs leaning against a lamppost, the lamp is a star. One of the lions is holding a shield and the other has a circle in its paw.

We could even work up a song about two lions on the shirt.

Like most people I don’t care overmuch what the badge is.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2023, 07:47:15 PM by Border villan »

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #2110 on: July 25, 2023, 07:52:58 PM »

The star isn't a problem if it is designed properly.

And the only real way to make the star look decent is by having it outside of the circle, at the top & in the centre.

Same way Forest do with their two stars...

Having it inside the circle is a case of finding the best space for it. And anywhere inside the circle looks like an afterthought.

So fans wanting a star is fine.

How it was designed is the problem...

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2111 on: July 25, 2023, 08:25:59 PM »

I’d generally agree but to be honest I think it’s currently fine. Fine is about as good as I can say.

I’d push back on behalf of the “young people” and say my entire life Villa have had a shield so the whole circle badge is to appease and appeal to an influential older contingent with disposable income (in my opinion.) We’re stuck with the star because it was asked for at the time Lerner fired up his MS Paint by a sizeable contingent who now don’t like it. It’s certainly tired but we’re told to celebrate it by the club when people really want to be kicking off into the future.

Will see what comes out next but I’d rather they had a proper strategy than try and cobble a brand together. Don’t really care about the Lerner badge being used at the same time whilst we sort it - as I said above, I’ve just gotten used to it whilst not having any affection for it.

I share this opinion, and I'm in that demographic. I want something new. That's Chelsea's badge now. I give you the words of our recently-departed women's goalkeeper who left for pastures blue.

massive club, historic badge & unbelievable fans!
delighted to have joined the Chelsea family

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #2112 on: July 25, 2023, 11:29:05 PM »

Pretty much confirms it's small time. The youngsters haven't seen any success so want the star to shout to the world that we did actually win something once.

The bottom line is that big clubs just don't do it.

Offline Louzie0

• UTV: I’m retired, hurrah!
  • GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2113 on: July 25, 2023, 11:36:54 PM »
Apparently the young people went for the star in a big way.

Thanks, I’ve joined a new demographic!

I just liked it, thought it added a bit of, we’ve done it once, here goes again!

Offline Ducksworthy

« Reply #2114 on: July 25, 2023, 11:49:39 PM »

Pretty much confirms it's small time. The youngsters haven't seen any success so want the star to shout to the world that we did actually win something once.

The bottom line is that big clubs just don't do it.

Behave yourself - it was very popular with a demographic that is now pretending it wasn’t at the time. The star was a big deal in the 2000s and was a must have.

This kind of revisionist “blame the kids” forgets who the “kids” (and they largely weren’t) were opining on this 17 years ago when Randy took over in 2006.

We haven’t seen any success since I was 4 or 5 in terms of silverware. I don’t need a round badge or a star to go on about something that happened before I was born to make me feel better.

😏😎 - I included both as I couldn’t remember which was the sign off.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal