collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 11:27:44 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by villa for life
[Today at 11:26:26 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Risso
[Today at 11:25:34 PM]

Robin Olsen by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 11:25:33 PM]

Champions League Contention by Smirker
[Today at 11:23:44 PM]

Diego Carlos by Didier Five
[Today at 11:20:09 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Risso
[Today at 11:19:38 PM]

Summer 2024 Transfer Window - hopes, speculation, rumours etc. by Demitri_C
[Today at 11:15:22 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 280135 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #2010 on: July 22, 2023, 01:23:53 PM »
I have loads of Boston Red Sox merchandise and there's 3 or 4 different logos used. Even on the current stuff.

You have the 'B' and the socks, but you don't have two different versions of the B or the socks back to front on something next to something else with them on the right way round.

There's also, ironically, the round badge. I'm not defending what we've done, especially considering i've been one of the most critical about the lion facing the sodding wrong way, just pointing out that we're not the first team or business to have different logos at the same time.

Baseball's very different to football in that they have uniform and cap logos though. All we've done is cock up a redesign and then fudged the solution badly for at least a year.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #2011 on: July 22, 2023, 01:43:16 PM »
Nobody outside of Villa fans are going to care other than some of us who are making a bigger deal of this than it actually is. It’s messy, untidy and not ideal. But when the football starts this will be entirely irrelevant. How many of us pay close attention to the logos of any other clubs? Other clubs have gone through changes in kits/colours/badges etc. I am sure all of this will be resolved next year which in terms of our “brand” and its future positioning will important with the 150th year celebrations and our, hopefully, higher football profile in the game because of what we do on the pitch this season.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #2012 on: July 22, 2023, 01:43:26 PM »
I have loads of Boston Red Sox merchandise and there's 3 or 4 different logos used. Even on the current stuff.

You have the 'B' and the socks, but you don't have two different versions of the B or the socks back to front on something next to something else with them on the right way round.

There's also, ironically, the round badge. I'm not defending what we've done, especially considering i've been one of the most critical about the lion facing the sodding wrong way, just pointing out that we're not the first team or business to have different logos at the same time.

Baseball's very different to football in that they have uniform and cap logos though. All we've done is cock up a redesign and then fudged the solution badly for at least a year.

What would you have done instead? (making the assumption that the round badge won't be used next season)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2013 on: July 22, 2023, 01:52:11 PM »
It's either 'Boston' or 'Red Sox' on the jerseys, depending on if it's home or away. You could argue that makes it 5 different logos. Again though, i'm not defending our badge scenario, i'm just saying we're not the first team with different logos.

I just don't get worked up about it now as the person responsible is no longer at the club and i'd rather have a year of 2 badges and hope that we then end up with a better badge than now be stuck for years with the lion facing the wrong sodding way.

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #2014 on: July 22, 2023, 01:54:47 PM »

What would you have done instead? (making the assumption that the round badge won't be used next season)

It’s surely obvious that by the time Heck was in it was too later to change the new crest on the kits.

Online paul_e

« Reply #2015 on: July 22, 2023, 02:14:49 PM »

It’s surely obvious that by the time Heck was in it was too later to change the new crest on the kits.

Exactly, but just in case my comment was the problem by next season there I mean 24/25 so to rephrase...

Given we're going to have new branding for 24/25 what could've been done better this summer than how we've handled it?

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #2016 on: July 22, 2023, 02:43:17 PM »
People saying this isn't a problem are being ridiculous.  One lion facing one way then on the shirts another , it's also crap for people wanting to buy merch.

It's two complete different badges as other people who want a sense of pride and substance in our football club have pointed out. It's embarrassing crap

Online paul_e

« Reply #2017 on: July 22, 2023, 02:46:51 PM »
People saying this isn't a problem are being ridiculous.  One lion facing one way then on the shirts another , it's also crap for people wanting to buy merch.

It's two complete different badges as other people who want a sense of pride and substance in our football club have pointed out. It's embarrassing crap

Who is saying it isn't a problem though? What people are saying is that it's nothing like as big a deal as you're determined to make it.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #2018 on: July 22, 2023, 02:47:07 PM »
You find everything about Villa embarrassing. So your opinion is always entirely biased. Most don’t really care.

Offline Tom_Mc9?

• GM : 28.08.2024
« Reply #2019 on: July 22, 2023, 02:47:14 PM »
You may be right about it not being great, but better to scrap something if it’s not great than put it all over new stands, offices, merchandise for years to come if a better option for the good of the club is available in the near future.

I wouldn’t lose sleep or catastrophise about it.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #2020 on: July 22, 2023, 03:10:09 PM »
The easiest option is to just not engage with him. You'll be happier and it makes his posts irrlevant if no one responds.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2021 on: July 22, 2023, 03:26:12 PM »
I doubt anyone is particularly happy but if they didn't want to go ahead with it there were only 3 options:

Go ahead anyway and have another rebrand start almost immediately, which would be expensive and a bit shit.
Cancel it completely, stick with the Lerner badge, bin loads of merchandise with the new and delay the kit to rebadge it, which would be expensive and really shit.
Use the stuff with the new badge that can't be cancelled but stop rolling it out and take the hit on mixed branding for a year, which is cheap and a bit shit.

The 3rd option is clearly the least bad/costly in my opinion.
Or get it right first time.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #2022 on: July 22, 2023, 03:28:56 PM »
It getting it “right” is massively subjective. It has to align with the objectives of the club and the fans. “Right” will always be a matter of opinion. And I am glad we didn’t commit to something we would have had to stick with for a long time. The new round badge wasn’t universally approved, lacked supporter alignment and the club changed leadership. Stopping it now was absolutely the right thing to do.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #2023 on: July 22, 2023, 03:33:00 PM »
It getting it “right” is massively subjective. It has to align with the objectives of the club and the fans. “Right” will always be a matter of opinion. And I am glad we didn’t commit to something we would have had to stick with for a long time. The new round badge wasn’t universally approved, lacked supporter alignment and the club changed leadership. Stopping it now was absolutely the right thing to do.
I don’t think it is subjective, I think when it comes down to preference about things like kit and badges it’s pretty obvious for the majority.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2024 on: July 22, 2023, 03:33:41 PM »

No new badge is ever going to be universally approved. I think there's almpost universal agreement that the current Lerner-designed one is absolute shite though.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal