collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by PaulWinch again
[Today at 10:17:42 PM]

Diego Carlos by David_Nab
[Today at 10:17:27 PM]

Robin Olsen by RichardBatchelor
[Today at 10:16:50 PM]

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by Goldenballs
[Today at 10:11:40 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 10:04:00 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:51:55 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 280072 times)

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #1875 on: June 29, 2023, 09:22:22 PM »
It is a nice button pin of the crest.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #1876 on: June 29, 2023, 10:24:51 PM »
That badge is very nice - the only thing that didn't scale down is the star, which now looks like a dragonfly.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #1877 on: June 30, 2023, 10:44:54 AM »
Nice bit of merch that...

Made good use of my Season Ticket gift of the Villa Park key ring last season on my shed key. Hopefully something similar with the round badge this season.

On a separate note, what's the general feeling on here about the whole 'Part of the Pride' marketing spiel? Personally, I think it's a bit tacky - Takes a while for people to put the whole 'pride in the club/pride of lions thing' together.

Considering we have a lion on our crest, I don't ever really think of us as lions apart from maybe the 'fight like lions' quote. I associate us more as Villans - Bugger all to do with prides.

Many a time you used to hear 'Come on you Lions' ringing out from the Holte.  I definitely associate us with the lion.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1878 on: June 30, 2023, 10:59:36 AM »

Made good use of my Season Ticket gift of the Villa Park key ring last season on my shed key. Hopefully something similar with the round badge this season.

On a separate note, what's the general feeling on here about the whole 'Part of the Pride' marketing spiel? Personally, I think it's a bit tacky - Takes a while for people to put the whole 'pride in the club/pride of lions thing' together.

Considering we have a lion on our crest, I don't ever really think of us as lions apart from maybe the 'fight like lions' quote. I associate us more as Villans - Bugger all to do with prides.

Many a time you used to hear 'Come on you Lions' ringing out from the Holte.  I definitely associate us with the lion.
Absolutely, one of my favourite chants.

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #1879 on: June 30, 2023, 11:31:42 AM »

"Come on you Lions!" was my dad's favourite call to arms during Villa games and so that's what I've always associated with us.

Online Billy Walker

« Reply #1880 on: June 30, 2023, 11:34:34 AM »
I often think we are missing a trick by not using William McGregor more in our branding as,  in many ways, he is Villa's unique selling point.  I remember a few seasons ago when we had a kit that featured a silhouette of the McGregor statue on its back, thinking it would make a brilliant badge.  I wonder if there's any way of coming up with a lion  that incorporates McGregor?  A bit like how the mountain logo on Toblerone bars incorporates a bear.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #1881 on: June 30, 2023, 12:31:54 PM »

"Come on you Lions!" was my dad's favourite call to arms during Villa games and so that's what I've always associated with us.
Exactly, it's got real energy at key moments in the game and I'm sure it transfers to the players.

Offline jon collett

« Reply #1882 on: June 30, 2023, 02:46:16 PM »
Always think of us as Villans and never the Lions. Lions just sounds completely wrong with us!

Didn't like the "Come on you" chants as they were usually London based. Not sure why we did it. Very pleased when that disappeared.

wish we'd go back to the more tuneful "Villa, Villa, Villa" (amazing grace) rather than the raucous version used for a fair while now.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1883 on: June 30, 2023, 03:10:55 PM »
Always think of us as Villans and never the Lions. Lions just sounds completely wrong with us!

wish we'd go back to the more tuneful "Villa, Villa, Villa" (amazing grace) rather than the raucous version used for a fair while now.

Maybe it's because I remember it from the mid-late 70s but I would always chant 'Come on you Lions" and never refer to us as 'the Villans'.

Agree with you on the ultra slow Villa, Villa, Villa" to the tune of Amazing Grace.

Offline jon collett

« Reply #1884 on: June 30, 2023, 03:22:24 PM »
No I go back that far and my dad a lot further.

Just think its wrong with us! Never liked Lions and think come on you chants belong in London (Irons, Spurs etc)

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #1885 on: June 30, 2023, 03:23:22 PM »
The amazing grace chant came out a bit towards the end of last season.

'Come on you Lions' was sung a lot through the 80's too.  Can't recall when it stopped tbh.

Offline Paul.S

« Reply #1886 on: June 30, 2023, 04:04:36 PM »

It was my’n as well. A return to that please.

Online Nelly

• rahix.music
  • GM : 01.05.2023
« Reply #1887 on: July 01, 2023, 12:00:53 AM »
The amazing grace chant came out a bit towards the end of last season.

'Come on you Lions' was sung a lot through the 80's too.  Can't recall when it stopped tbh.

I'd love to hear that. There's this video of our League Cup runs in the 70s on Youtube (thanks again, CuriousOrange!) where it shows the crowd singing it. From about 2:55ish, but worth watching the whole thing!

Offline jon collett

« Reply #1888 on: July 01, 2023, 06:24:27 AM »
That’s superb! So much more tuneful! Not sure when the boorish version took over!

Online algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #1889 on: July 01, 2023, 06:57:15 AM »
Remember the ultra slow amazing Grace when I started going (late 80s, early 90s) but it'd died off by the time I went to uni (early 00s). "You'll never walk alone" was similar - heard it occasionally when I started going, had disappeared by the late 90s.

Love the ultra slow 'villa, villa, villa'. One of my favourite Villa songs.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal