collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 280055 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #1725 on: June 23, 2023, 02:11:19 PM »
Wes Edens owns the NBA team that won the netball cup a few years ago, why didn't he think to stop it in its tracks?

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1726 on: June 23, 2023, 02:15:14 PM »
Simple, and shit.

You're not really setting my mind at ease because so far it appears that we had decided on a new crest, and then Heck has come in and decided to put his 'mark' on the process. Not a good start.

It looks like a bumper sticker for Trump 2024...

Absolute dog shit.

Why bother asking our opinions, if all they are going to do is retroactively make up some media PR guff to tell us that they don't want what we want, but they are going to ask us again in the future what we want?

Just so they can ignore us again & "Becky" from an ad agency agency can tell us we need to change our historic & traditional values, all so they can sell more printed mugs & key-rings?

You're both missing the point a bit here.

No I'm not, I can read. I just don't agree with you on this.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #1727 on: June 23, 2023, 02:18:55 PM »

I don't give a fuck what the 76ers icon/badge/crest looks like. My point is that modern design means that those 3 things can (and probably should) be separate things.

So for us we might stick with what we have on the 23/24 kit badge but split it into parts. So a lion on it's own becomes the logo, the lion in a circle with Aston villa above but no outer circle becomes a badge and the full thing with the star, the outer ring and 1874 becomes a crest (or whatever terms you like for each of those). We then have a 'Villa' element is a specfic font that can be used and a possibly a lionhead that can be used, etc.

To stick with the 76ers they have a set of options (that the above was added to afterwards) as follows:

(I edited out the image cos it wasnt showing anything other than a nible stack full of random letters)

Again I'm only using them as the example because it's where Heck has come from and what he's used to.

This is what we'll end up with, along with an official colour palette (with primary, secondary, neutral and accent colours all defined) and font set. From then on everything about the club will be designed using that design toolkit to give us the consistency of brand identity that a properly run business expects.

That brand identity should have already been done when the new crest was designed.

A font family, official palette, etc. Rules for what & where elements of the design should be applied, etc.

Thats (overly simplified) simple brand identity stuff.

Okay, and when you go and hire the President of Business Ops from one of Top 5 NBA franchise markets and he says this plan is crap and this badge is a retread, cop out.. what then?

You tell him that this is not the NBA & Aston Villa Football Club is not a franchise...

They asked us for our input & then told us as fans & customers that we do not matter.

It really is as simple as that...

I have said all I can say on this matter.

I will wait to see what happens when they do the next rebranding exercise & what direction they take us....

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #1728 on: June 23, 2023, 02:20:17 PM »

I don't give a fuck what the 76ers icon/badge/crest looks like. My point is that modern design means that those 3 things can (and probably should) be separate things.

So for us we might stick with what we have on the 23/24 kit badge but split it into parts. So a lion on it's own becomes the logo, the lion in a circle with Aston villa above but no outer circle becomes a badge and the full thing with the star, the outer ring and 1874 becomes a crest (or whatever terms you like for each of those). We then have a 'Villa' element is a specfic font that can be used and a possibly a lionhead that can be used, etc.

To stick with the 76ers they have a set of options (that the above was added to afterwards) as follows:

(I edited out the image cos it wasnt showing anything other than a nible stack full of random letters)

Again I'm only using them as the example because it's where Heck has come from and what he's used to.

This is what we'll end up with, along with an official colour palette (with primary, secondary, neutral and accent colours all defined) and font set. From then on everything about the club will be designed using that design toolkit to give us the consistency of brand identity that a properly run business expects.

That brand identity should have already been done when the new crest was designed.

A font family, official palette, etc. Rules for what & where elements of the design should be applied, etc.

Okay, and when you go and hire the President of Business Ops from one of Top 5 NBA franchise markets and he says this plan is crap and this badge is a retread, cop out.. what then?

You tell him that this is not the NBA & Aston Villa Football Club is not a franchise...

They asked us for our input & then told us as fans & customers that we do not matter.

It really is as simple as that...

I have said all I can say on this matter.

I will wait to see what happens when they do the next rebranding exercise & what direction they take us....

Okay, well, with all due respect I trust a guy who does it for a living.

Offline pablo_picasso

« Reply #1729 on: June 23, 2023, 02:24:24 PM »

And thats fair enough.

But he needs to work within our brief.

And that means respecting our history & tradition.

And that starts by not breaking the trust between the club & our fans/customers.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1730 on: June 23, 2023, 02:25:39 PM »

And thats fair enough.

And that starts by not breaking the trust between the club & our fans/customers.

I trust someone more who identifies and stops a bad decision than one who lets it go wrong.

Online villadelph

• @villadelph
« Reply #1731 on: June 23, 2023, 02:27:14 PM »

And thats fair enough.

Your assuming it was his call. He could of walked in the door on the first day and Wes said, "First order of business, this crest is an abomination. Find us a way out and a way forward."

For all we know, we could keep the crest and do a standalone lion on a kit from here forward.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #1732 on: June 23, 2023, 02:31:13 PM »
Over the years the Villa have done plenty of going back on their word to supporters. It's hardly sacred bond territory to accept that a load of second-rate options were dealt up in the name of 'consultation' last time so we're going to do it better now.

Offline German James

• The Limpets
  • GM : 13.02.2025
« Reply #1733 on: June 23, 2023, 02:32:37 PM »
A standalone lion is too generic and vague.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #1734 on: June 23, 2023, 02:33:37 PM »

And thats fair enough.

I trust someone more who identifies and stops a bad decision than one who lets it go wrong.

They should just be honest about it all.

No need to shoe-horn that transparent 1982 nonsense in, nobody is dim enough to fall for that one.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1735 on: June 23, 2023, 02:33:46 PM »

Yes it should've been, but I think the events of the last day or 2 suggest that Heck doesn't think it was done well (if at all) and has decided to restart rather than wasting money on something he thinks isn't good enough. Or, to put it another way, the guy hired to be responsible for our brand has taken responsibility for our brand and, with no other information, you've decided he's going to do something that pisses off the fans for some reason.

Offline PeterWithesShin

• GM : 17.03.2015
« Reply #1736 on: June 23, 2023, 02:34:06 PM »
It was the best of the final 3 options, which doesn't necessarily make it a good option, just less shit than the other 2.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1737 on: June 23, 2023, 02:36:48 PM »
Simple, and shit.

You're not really setting my mind at ease because so far it appears that we had decided on a new crest, and then Heck has come in and decided to put his 'mark' on the process. Not a good start.

It looks like a bumper sticker for Trump 2024...

Absolute dog shit.

Why bother asking our opinions, if all they are going to do is retroactively make up some media PR guff to tell us that they don't want what we want, but they are going to ask us again in the future what we want?

Just so they can ignore us again & "Becky" from an ad agency agency can tell us we need to change our historic & traditional values, all so they can sell more printed mugs & key-rings?

No I'm not, I can read. I just don't agree with you on this.

Strange that you went with the bold bit then seeing as you have absolutely no idea what Heck will come up but that somehow his 'mark' will be, unquestionably, worse than the crest Purslow decided on, you can just read, you can see the future!

Offline pablo_picasso

« Reply #1738 on: June 23, 2023, 02:37:00 PM »

A "bad decision" to who?

And its not like they were honest enough to tell us thats why this debacle is happening, but attempts to play us all for fools with PR waffle about 41 year homage to the Euro Cup?

Your assuming it was his call. He could of walked in the door on the first day and Wes said, "First order of business, this crest is an abomination. Find us a way out and a way forward."

For all we know, we could keep the crest and do a standalone lion on a kit from here forward.

Why on earth would Edens tell Purslow to go ahead with it for long enough for it to get on shirts, training gear & some promotional advertising, & then tell Heck on his first day, "sack it all off!"?

We have no idea what they are going to do.

Which is part of why I am very unhappy with this whole shit show...

Offline Tuscans

• GM : 08.02.15
« Reply #1739 on: June 23, 2023, 02:38:40 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal