collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 280129 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #1335 on: March 23, 2023, 10:00:39 AM »
Just a question. From what I've read, the original badge did face to the right. Is that not correct then? I like the new badge, and have no problem with it facing to the right.
For almost our entire history the lion faced the left for example the crest on the stand built in 1878 the Lion faces the left.
There are some very early kits with a Scottish lion but that is about it, so historically the Lion has faced the left.
The rest is bs.

Offline FatSam

« Reply #1336 on: March 23, 2023, 10:01:21 AM »
I think the new crest is a big improvement on what we have currently, and it will make me much more likely to buy merchandise. My own preference would have been something a bit more like this:

But I certainly respect the professional expertise of the people who have designed the new crest, and the fact that they would have been juggling various competing requirements - ultimately, you can't please all of the people all of the time.

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #1337 on: March 23, 2023, 10:39:07 AM »
It's a 7/10 from me. Lion looking the wrong way and the star are my main gripes.

Offline stevo_st

• GM : 27.07.21
« Reply #1338 on: March 23, 2023, 10:45:04 AM »
The lion appearing to be falling backwards is my biggest gripe

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #1339 on: March 23, 2023, 10:48:22 AM »
Just a question. From what I've read, the original badge did face to the right. Is that not correct then? I like the new badge, and have no problem with it facing to the right.
For almost our entire history the lion faced the left for example the crest on the stand built in 1878 the Lion faces the left.
There are some very early kits with a Scottish lion but that is about it, so historically the Lion has faced the left.
The rest is bs.

So the first one wasn't facing left then?

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1340 on: March 23, 2023, 10:57:42 AM »
The rest is bs.

Who knows?
OK show me one picture or print or photograph associated with the club that has the Lion facing right.
The only "evidence" is the Internet Kit History page which has no Providence.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1341 on: March 23, 2023, 10:59:30 AM »
I really like the new badge and for me the direction of the lion is facing the correct way. To me facing left is looking back. And aside from a couple of notable bright spots in the past 40 years (FORTY), we need to start looking to forward. Onwards. upwards and to the right with Unai.

I like it as well and it's better than most of the crests we've had.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #1342 on: March 23, 2023, 11:01:08 AM »
My head can not cope with it facing that way and what will make it worse is when you are at a match and there will be people with the new clobber on and the Lion facing one way and then people with the old clobber on and it facing the other.

Don't worry, it'll look fine in your selfies. :)

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #1343 on: March 23, 2023, 11:02:59 AM »
I am uncomfortable with us going against something that has been a constant in the club's visual identity for the best part of 150 years... based on a fuzzy photo from 1880.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1344 on: March 23, 2023, 11:05:53 AM »
I really like the new badge and for me the direction of the lion is facing the correct way. To me facing left is looking back. And aside from a couple of notable bright spots in the past 40 years (FORTY), we need to start looking to forward. Onwards. upwards and to the right with Unai.

I like it as well and it's better than most of the crests we've had.
We first started consistently putting the crest on the shirt 1957 so the FA Cup all the League Cups and The League 81 and European Cup and Super Cup we had the badge Facing left.

Offline exigo

« Reply #1345 on: March 23, 2023, 11:08:11 AM »
The rest is bs.

Who knows?
OK show me one picture or print or photograph associated with the club that has the Lion facing right.

The evidence is on the official site. This is the first kit, where the lion faces right.
Pravda linky

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1346 on: March 23, 2023, 11:12:53 AM »
The rest is bs.

Who knows?

The evidence is on the official site. This is the first kit, where the lion faces right.
Pravda linky

Good spot.

Offline pablo_picasso

• Disclaimer: I may appear more grumpy than I am.
  • GM : 17.11.2024
« Reply #1347 on: March 23, 2023, 11:25:02 AM »
I like the new crest.

As a designer, I would have done a couple of things differently, but most of them would have been purely subjective & for aesthetic balance more than anything else.

But the small things that I would have changed aside, it is so much better than the current one created by Lerner in Word...

Offline jon collett

« Reply #1348 on: March 23, 2023, 11:26:12 AM »
The rest is bs.

Who knows?

Pravda linky

Has it occurred to anybody that this single photograph might be a mirror image?

I think William McGregor would know the direction the rampant Lion faces on the Scottish Royal Coat of Arms.

Offline Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #1349 on: March 23, 2023, 11:35:39 AM »
I still can’t get my head around the lion facing the wrong way. I’ll bet my life that not a single Villa fan was asking for that when a new design was being discussed. I don’t care if it was used on a previous shirt or not, it isn’t right. And no amount of designers can convince (“gaslight”, to use the fashionable term) me otherwise. And I’ll have to have my tattoo re-done now……

Nice to hear from you, Jon. Been a while

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal