collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by dicedlam
[Today at 10:09:22 PM]

Diego Carlos by nordenvillain
[Today at 10:09:04 PM]

Aston Villa v Chelsea Match Thread by Somniloquism
[Today at 10:07:33 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by kippaxvilla2
[Today at 10:04:00 PM]

John McGinn - signed (Captain) by Footy-Vill
[Today at 09:51:55 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 280067 times)

Offline CT Villan

Re: Crest Review
« Reply #810 on: October 12, 2022, 10:49:02 PM »
It's funny because I just did an image search for "Scottish Lion Rampant" and every picture has the lion facing left. Our crest looks weird with the lion facing right.

Offline Ad@m

• GM : 23.03.2023
« Reply #811 on: October 12, 2022, 11:35:08 PM »
Boca territory here, but what about our 7 FA Cup wins & league titles? 12 stars representing the founding members? I don’t like the star on the badge or think there’s any need for it (they can go full Boca for the Las Vegas Villains badge!), but maybe a few more might actually help the design rather than working out where to place a single star?

Identifying a single match to highlight, however big, overlooks all the other important achievements in our history.

I agree - we go on about 1982 far too much, it's borderline embarassing having to have it incorporated into our crest.

It sort of screams "OMG can you BELIEVE we won the European Cup!!" the implication being we'll never do it again.

Obviously, we won't, but that's nothing to scream about.

Also - 40 years ago. 40 years.

I'm a fan of the star, but I'm not a fan of the song where we sing "Every week we follow the boys in claret and blue, we even conquered Europe in 1982" as if it was a miracle.

I'd be much happier with "we went and conquered Europe..."

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #812 on: October 13, 2022, 01:02:58 AM »
Also in the ‘fuck the star off’ camp.
I think most of us on here are.  Unfortunately htere's a voiciferous few in the fsg groups and similar who keep pumping these bright ideas.  Hence if we're not careful we may end up with a lamp as our badge.
There was one out of seven in the consultation group I was part of that wanted the star. The rest of us varied between ambivalent to get rid at all costs.

I've seen a definite tendency in meetings to be told that 'everyone' likes something and so do you.

Online tomd2103

« Reply #813 on: October 13, 2022, 01:38:22 AM »
Boca territory here, but what about our 7 FA Cup wins & league titles? 12 stars representing the founding members? I don’t like the star on the badge or think there’s any need for it (they can go full Boca for the Las Vegas Villains badge!), but maybe a few more might actually help the design rather than working out where to place a single star?

Identifying a single match to highlight, however big, overlooks all the other important achievements in our history.

This is why I don't want a star at all, it's not small time or cringe or anything like that, it's just that it doesn't cover our history, but rather relegates most of it to 'also starring' status.

In the specific design the star behind the lion is far, far better than in front because it removes the implication that it's a toy for the lion to play with when the football is shit.

I wouldn't mind having a star above the badge, but agree that it shouldn't be part of it. 

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #814 on: October 13, 2022, 12:00:12 PM »
Also in the ‘fuck the star off’ camp.
I think most of us on here are.  Unfortunately htere's a voiciferous few in the fsg groups and similar who keep pumping these bright ideas.  Hence if we're not careful we may end up with a lamp as our badge.
There was one out of seven in the consultation group I was part of that wanted the star. The rest of us varied between ambivalent to get rid at all costs.

It seems we're going through a period of Star Wars.  How fitting.  I've only seen one of the films, the first and wasn't that impressed. The 2nd, The Empire Strikes Back, I might have seen but can't remember it too much, were there space ships that looked a bit like big Camels in it? Other than that, I can remember one titled the Phantom of...something or other.  That's where my level of interest ends.  The point I'm trying to make is, Star Wars, shit.  Stars incorporated onto a Badge..shit.  Stars on top of the badge but not incorporated and only if you are playing in the competition that warrants the star... okay, if you must.   

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #815 on: October 13, 2022, 01:16:16 PM »
Where do you stand on Star Trek, Stars In Their Eyes and Keir Starmer?

Offline algy

• GM : 23.03.2025
« Reply #816 on: October 13, 2022, 02:05:14 PM »
Wank
Wank
Goodguy

Online Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #817 on: October 13, 2022, 02:27:26 PM »

The Coutinho chant pisses me off because of the wording.

"He went to Munich and did the same again."

You don't need to qualify it twice.

Just 'did the same' or 'did it again'. But not 'did the same again'.

Makes me growl.

I agree - we go on about 1982 far too much, it's borderline embarassing having to have it incorporated into our crest.

It sort of screams "OMG can you BELIEVE we won the European Cup!!" the implication being we'll never do it again.

Obviously, we won't, but that's nothing to scream about.

Also - 40 years ago. 40 years.

I'm a fan of the star, but I'm not a fan of the song where we sing "Every week we follow the boys in claret and blue, we even conquered Europe in 1982" as if it was a miracle.

I'd be much happier with "we went and conquered Europe..."

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #818 on: October 13, 2022, 03:51:30 PM »
The Coutinho thing is also wrong in that:

"He went to Barca and won the league in Spain"

we are told, which is fair enough, all good there, but then straight after:

"He went to Munich, and did the same again"

Which raises the question of whether he is some sort of shapeshifting magician, given that he apparently joined Bayern Munich and won the league in Spain. Plain wrong.

Maybe "He came to Villa and was never the same again" would be better.

If I'm on my high horse about songs, I would also like to register that I fucking HATE the predictability of that "Every week we follow" song. It's not original and it gets aired every five minutes.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #819 on: October 13, 2022, 03:59:26 PM »
Also on the Coutinho song, the repetition of the the word 'fucking' in "he's fucking magic and don't you fucking know" is both unnecessary and really annoying. It's a terrible song, and needs to get in the bin.

Here's my version. "He went to Villa, and started off alright, but second season, he's absolutely shite."

Online pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #820 on: October 13, 2022, 04:02:14 PM »
Here's my version. "He went to Villa, and started off alright, but second season, he's absolutely shite."

"But as he's Steve's mate, he somehow persists
No fucking goals and also no assists"

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #821 on: October 13, 2022, 04:04:09 PM »
Wank
Wank
Goodguy

Shit,
Shit,
Okay, if you must.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #822 on: October 13, 2022, 04:05:16 PM »
Think we're onto something here.

"He looks for Watkins, but he's a complete no show, he looks for Ings, but he's too bloody slow."

Offline Woofles The Wonder Dog

• GM : 25.01.2025
« Reply #823 on: October 13, 2022, 04:14:42 PM »
Also on the Coutinho song, the repetition of the the word 'fucking' in "he's fucking magic and don't you fucking know" is both unnecessary and really annoying. It's a terrible song, and needs to get in the bin.

Made me laugh.

Actually, and I’m so macho so didn’t want admit this, it made me giggle. I’m now sitting on the naughty step practicing my guffaw.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #824 on: October 13, 2022, 05:02:08 PM »
Allez is fuckin awful.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 06:20:05 AM by ChicagoLion »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal