collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 279845 times)

Offline bilsim

• I just love Aston Villa.
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #720 on: October 08, 2022, 02:23:42 PM »
As someone who has been at all three of the consultations so far and seen the final three designs, a couple of things that I think need to be cleared up.

Firstly, the lion is reversed in all three. This is a throwback to our first ever crest and also "indicative of a new, forward facing club".

The "gaslamp" design is really tenuously a gaslamp. It's essentially a hexagon with a new font for "Aston Villa". Seemed popular in my group but personally thought it was trashy. The circular crest is a nicely done but not exactly original or even an improvement on the "classic" 1982 design.

When it gets put the wider fan vote, thst will be the winner and the new club crest.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #721 on: October 08, 2022, 04:51:46 PM »
As someone who has been at all three of the consultations so far and seen the final three designs, a couple of things that I think need to be cleared up.

Firstly, the lion is reversed in all three. This is a throwback to our first ever crest and also "indicative of a new, forward facing club".

The "gaslamp" design is really tenuously a gaslamp. It's essentially a hexagon with a new font for "Aston Villa". Seemed popular in my group but personally thought it was trashy. The circular crest is a nicely done but not exactly original or even an improvement on the "classic" 1982 design.

When it gets put the wider fan vote, thst will be the winner and the new club crest.

Where is the star on the circular one?

Offline London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #722 on: October 08, 2022, 05:33:15 PM »
In heraldry, the lion facing the opposite direction to the current IS looking backwards…

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #723 on: October 08, 2022, 05:35:54 PM »
Marc Bolan was the passenger.

[Insert obvious line]No, that was Iggy Pop[/insert obvious line]

Gloria Jones fucked-up.

Online Weedy

« Reply #724 on: October 08, 2022, 08:32:21 PM »
In heraldry, the lion facing the opposite direction to the current IS looking backwards…

The current lion is to Dexter -facing right to the holder of the shield, but left to the viewer.
A lion facing the opposite direction would be to Sinister - that is turned to face the viewer's right.

BTW Chelsea's lion is 'Lion rampant regardant' - to Dexter, but facing backwards.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 08:34:16 PM by Weedy »

Offline aj2k77

« Reply #725 on: October 08, 2022, 08:37:13 PM »
I'm not fussed which way the lion faces, having a badge that isn't a kids drawing by a chairman having a breakdown will be nice. The current badge just reminds me too much of Lambert, Sherwood, Delph and other varieties of useless wankers and charlatans.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #726 on: October 08, 2022, 08:38:31 PM »
I'm not fussed which way the lion faces, having a badge that isn't a kids drawing by a chairman having a breakdown will be nice. The current badge just reminds me too much of Lambert, Sherwood, Delph and other varieties of useless wankers and charlatans.
Insipid yellow

Offline Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #727 on: October 08, 2022, 08:41:37 PM »
When is the new badge actually coming out then?

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #728 on: October 08, 2022, 08:45:14 PM »
it'll be ready for our promotion season in a couple of years :D

Offline Villan82

« Reply #729 on: October 08, 2022, 08:50:17 PM »
The yellow is the worst part of the current badge. Even if it was golden it might not be too bad but why the heck they didn't go for claret lion on that blue background is beyond me

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #730 on: October 08, 2022, 08:52:37 PM »

During next year's concert. So you'd better get this party started.

Offline Smirker

• GM : Sep, 2014
« Reply #731 on: October 08, 2022, 10:24:22 PM »
The yellow is the worst part of the current badge. Even if it was golden it might not be too bad but why the heck they didn't go for claret lion on that blue background is beyond me

Probably inspired by the one from the 50s.

I'm still annoyed about the star BTW.

Offline Villan82

« Reply #732 on: October 09, 2022, 12:02:53 AM »

The one from the '50s had a claret lion on a blue background.

Offline PaulTheVillan

• GM : 16.08.2022
« Reply #733 on: October 09, 2022, 05:14:59 PM »

The placement of the star is awful. Someone probably got paid a lot of money for that. Awful

Offline Flin5tone

• Say NO to Monster
« Reply #734 on: October 10, 2022, 07:20:56 AM »
Really hope that pathetic star is nowhere near the new club crest. We're bound to mess it up. The 'Gas lamp' design sounds absolutely dreadful

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal