collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Aston Villa 2 Chelsea 2 Post Match Heart Massage. by Astnor
[Today at 10:50:43 PM]

Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by taylorsworkrate
[Today at 10:49:14 PM]

Moussa Diaby - Confirmed by Steve67
[Today at 10:49:02 PM]

Diego Carlos by Monty
[Today at 10:48:12 PM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Flamingo Lane
[Today at 10:47:30 PM]

Ollie Watkins by Steve67
[Today at 10:46:03 PM]

Morgan Rogers - Signed by Steve67
[Today at 10:44:11 PM]

Champions League Contention by aj2k77
[Today at 10:43:11 PM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 280103 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #585 on: October 04, 2022, 06:18:57 PM »
I really hope it’s the 3rd one.

We had a history before and after the round badge.  No redesign will do it justice and the Lion is too small.

The lamp sounds wank - just trying too hard.

Stand alone Lion for me.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 06:21:07 PM by chrisw1 »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #586 on: October 04, 2022, 06:27:13 PM »
The banner doesn't bother me. The star does and the logic behind it is stupid.

'Let's copy European clubs and put a star above our crest, it will look great. Oh we're not allowed well let's just squash it in anywhere as long as its there so everyone can see we actually won something once.'

That's the only reason fans want it in. Im sick of us telling people we're a big club. It's time to act like it.

Fair enough. Yeah, I agree with you on the star. It should be above the badge or nowhere. Agree on acting big time too. But you get fans on here falling over themselves to say liccul Villa couldn't attract someone like Pochettino, we should be grateful for Steven bloody Gerrard gracing us with his presence.

Online AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #587 on: October 04, 2022, 07:21:05 PM »
The banner doesn't bother me. The star does and the logic behind it is stupid.

'Let's copy European clubs and put a star above our crest, it will look great. Oh we're not allowed well let's just squash it in anywhere as long as its there so everyone can see we actually won something once.'

That's the only reason fans want it in. Im sick of us telling people we're a big club. It's time to act like it.

Fair enough. Yeah, I agree with you on the star. It should be above the badge or nowhere. Agree on acting big time too. But you get fans on here falling over themselves to say liccul Villa couldn't attract someone like Pochettino, we should be grateful for Steven bloody Gerrard gracing us with his presence.
Time for a putsch.Names!

Offline The Edge

• GM : PCM
« Reply #588 on: October 04, 2022, 07:40:01 PM »
The banner is class. We don't want to just be a generic Southampton type team playing at some boring identikit stadium. Celebrate the history, it's our greatest asset. The banner is one of the things that helps us stand out. It's the sort of thing some Villa fans rush to condemn as "small time" but literally no fans of other clubs think so.
You have proof of that I take it?

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #589 on: October 04, 2022, 07:43:28 PM »
Yes, hang on. Hold your breath while I consult every single fan of another club.

Online AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #590 on: October 04, 2022, 07:45:59 PM »
Miaow

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #591 on: October 04, 2022, 07:48:09 PM »
Miaow

That sounds like the noise our current lion would make.

Online AlexAlexCropley

« Reply #592 on: October 04, 2022, 07:50:07 PM »
Purrfect

Offline Bad English

• I am Perpignan Villa
  • GM : 29.03.2025
« Reply #593 on: October 04, 2022, 07:57:47 PM »
While we're at it, I propose an update to the North Stand banner to reflect our pride and passion, a rallying cry:

"Konsa, Mings, Konsa, Mings, Martinez, Mings, prepared to hoof it down the left. There's a good ball in from Phil Coutinho! Oh it must be! It i...oh fuck! Ollie Watkins!"

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #594 on: October 04, 2022, 08:00:03 PM »
I’m not sure there’s that much wrong with our current lion other than the colour is a bit insipid

It looks good in black and white see the link Drummond posted earlier

https://someoneinlondon.com/projects/the-claws-are-out

« Last Edit: October 04, 2022, 08:06:06 PM by chrisw1 »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #595 on: October 04, 2022, 08:04:03 PM »
While we're at it, I propose an update to the North Stand banner to reflect our pride and passion, a rallying cry:

"Konsa, Mings, Konsa, Mings, Martinez, Mings, prepared to hoof it down the left. There's a good ball in from Phil Coutinho! Oh it must be! It i...oh fuck! Ollie Watkins!"

I like it, but would be better in Latin to add a touch of class.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #596 on: October 04, 2022, 08:11:08 PM »
Yes, hang on. Hold your breath while I consult every single fan of another club.
How are you going to do that with Wolves fans spread far and wide in every corner of the globe?

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #597 on: October 04, 2022, 08:26:29 PM »

Excellent

Online FatSam

« Reply #598 on: October 04, 2022, 09:14:55 PM »
The current lion that was re-designed to look more fierce is pretty good. That re-design was a fairly targeted exercise though, to make a shit crest slightly less shit. I can imagine that if you were designing the crest from scratch you might treat the Lion a bit differently. The same agency also did the branding for Spurs, Wolves and Norwich. The general theme from all of these seems to have been to reduce visual clutter. So, I could imagine the lion being simplified, as long as the silhouette was suitably punchy.

Like others, I’m of the view that you should just pay good designers to do their job rather than trying to faithfully incorporate supporter consultation, which by its very nature will be varied and potentially misleading. Design by committee rarely produces good outcomes. Since Everton were forced to withdraw their new crest some years ago all clubs are conscious that they need to be able to say ‘this is what you chose’. We’re in a slightly different position in that our crest has been well and truly messed-up already, so pretty much anything will be an improvement. It does sound like the club might have put forward two straw men so that their preferred option will in vitally be chosen by fans. I just hope the preferred option is objectively an impressive piece of graphic design. I can well remember the crushing disappointment when the current crest was introduced.

In principle I think the crest should feature a lion and the words ‘Aston Villa’, and shouldn’t feature a yellow figure against a light blue ground, or a star. I also think we shouldn’t introduce some Disneyland interpretation of history 150 years after the event.

Offline Richard E

• This also will pass.
  • GM : 28.02.2019
« Reply #599 on: October 04, 2022, 09:21:59 PM »
The banner is class. We don't want to just be a generic Southampton type team playing at some boring identikit stadium. Celebrate the history, it's our greatest asset. The banner is one of the things that helps us stand out. It's the sort of thing some Villa fans rush to condemn as "small time" but literally no fans of other clubs think so.
You have proof of that I take it?
The only people who moan about us celebrating 1982 are Blose and Albion fans who are beating eaten away inside by jealousy which is destroying their very souls. They spend far more time talking about how we talk about 1982 than we do talking about 1982 and are usually the first people to bring it up in any conversation. You don't hear anyone suggesting Forest, Liverpool or Man U should pretend they never won it.     

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal