collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Crest Review  (Read 279902 times)

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
Re: Crest Review
« Reply #225 on: June 27, 2022, 11:17:10 AM »
I like that, though I'd lose the star as it doesn't work, and contemplate removing the 1874. Or....  put the star where the 74 is and moved the 74 to be with the 18.

I think it'd look a bit too 'busy' with 1874 one side and the star the other.

I think i prefer that shield to the more elaborate one though, generally I think the shield based badges look very old-fashioned (except for the arsenal one which they've done a really good job with).

More generally I'd prefer something which works in a number of colour palettes because I think it can very easily look washed out otherwise ...

The blue background one here is a good example of where a palette swap would be helpful. Even with the current badge the version on last seasons away kit benefits from a simpler scheme:

It still has problems but it works far better than the official crest.

Number 1 priority for me though is that the Lion has to look like it wants to fuck someone up and not like a declawed kitten playing with a ball on a string.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #226 on: June 27, 2022, 11:44:35 AM »
Just wondering if the new crest/badge will be designed with Las Vegas Villans in mind?

The lion will be overweight with mobilty scooter and pissing all it's savings into a fruit machine.

A difficult brief but one which the design team are confident will be bold and unique.

Offline Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #227 on: June 27, 2022, 12:23:55 PM »
Just wondering if the new crest/badge will be designed with Las Vegas Villans in mind?

The lion will be overweight with mobilty scooter and pissing all it's savings into a fruit machine.

A difficult brief but one which the design team are confident will be bold and unique.

What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

Offline Rioch is King

« Reply #228 on: June 27, 2022, 01:52:10 PM »
Favourite is the 50's 60's shield but the round one is also great. The lion should be claret, yellow was a bad idea and we don't need the star... we're Aston Villa - have we won the European cup? yes... next question? - a good designer should get it right... just our name, no other info needed.

Offline Weedy

« Reply #229 on: June 27, 2022, 02:02:44 PM »
No shield or roundel this time, just playing with the lion (gold) and contrast lettering:

And a sample of typefaces -

NB. There is a massive Wiki article about stars on sports shirts "https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_(sport_badge)" - not just football,
so you can make your own mind up about how important it is.

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #230 on: June 27, 2022, 02:41:41 PM »
To me stars aren’t important. The accomplishment isn’t diminished by having one or not. Irrespective of why it is on the badge; be it a choice or a league decision as we see in other countries for domestic titles. My objection was to being embarrassed by it. I’ll never be embarrassed by us winning that trophy as it puts us in a very elite class.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #231 on: June 27, 2022, 02:52:45 PM »
To me stars aren’t important. The accomplishment isn’t diminished by having one or not. Irrespective of why it is on the badge; be it a choice or a league decision as we see in other countries for domestic titles. My objection was to being embarrassed by it. I’ll never be embarrassed by us winning that trophy as it puts us in a very elite class.
Nobody is embarrassed by winning a trophy.  Some people think incorporating a star in your badge because you're not playing in Europe so never get to display one properly is a bit 'small time'  I'm inclined to agree.

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #232 on: June 27, 2022, 03:18:58 PM »
It’s a symbol of our greatest achievement. Maybe we shouldn’t talk about it ever again also. Small time would be having a star for the Inter-Toto cup or Peace Cup. Something the Noses would do.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #233 on: June 27, 2022, 03:36:12 PM »

Or it could be an attractive lioness called Tiffany or Candi, but Leona might be better for marketing purposes.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #234 on: June 27, 2022, 04:28:07 PM »
It’s a symbol of our greatest achievement. Maybe we shouldn’t talk about it ever again also. Small time would be having a star for the Inter-Toto cup or Peace Cup. Something the Noses would do.
What are you on about?  Literaly nobody has said that.  There's a huge difference between not shoehorning a star into your badge and never talking about our win again.  When we're back in Europe we can have a star on our Euopean shirts above the badge.   

Online Toronto Villa

« Reply #235 on: June 27, 2022, 04:42:40 PM »
How is a tiny star being shoehorned onto a badge that has changed numerous times throughout our history?

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #236 on: June 27, 2022, 05:00:03 PM »
How is a tiny star being shoehorned onto a badge that has changed numerous times throughout our history?
If you look at the badge one has been squeezed in next to the lion.  It's a bit odd and would look much better without it.  It needs to be outside the crest to look credible, but my understanding is the PL would not allow it.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #237 on: June 27, 2022, 05:32:06 PM »
A straightforward design that looks good on the shirt but can easily be transposed to all Villa related merchandise. The more fussy it is the harder that is to achieve.

Offline john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #238 on: June 27, 2022, 06:24:05 PM »
This is the best one so far by miles

Offline Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #239 on: June 27, 2022, 08:00:05 PM »
This is the best one so far by miles

You do know that would mightly piss off a lot of Leeds and Sheffield Utd fans if you put that on Twitter. Which is nice.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal