collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 60 minute football  (Read 4204 times)

Offline edgysatsuma89

Re: 60 minute football
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2022, 10:53:54 PM »
I think this is a good idea, as the article says the average 'in-play' time is about an hour anyway so you do't lose time from games but you remove the benefit of time-wasting.

Maybe it doesn't work but I think it'swell worth trialling.

I definitely think it's worth trialling, I like the idea personally. Didn't expect us to be bottom of the 'time in play' list though. I thought we'd be mid-table but then again I haven't seen us much in person this season.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2022, 10:57:12 PM »
Worth a trial.

I’d also just let Physios on for injuries whilst the game continues. Works fine in rugby.

Worked, not works. Now players go down in pairs, that stops the game.

Still works fine, you see physios on the pitch whilst the game is ongoing regularly still. The more common tactic, from the defending side, is to funnel the play towards them so the ref has to stop it.

That said I'm not sure it would work in football, it works in rugby because, fundamentally, the play runs in a line across the pitch with most of the players within 10-15 of an imaginary gainline. That makes filtering players across to make up for 1 player being out of the play a lot simpler, in football it's rare to not have players in at least half of the pitch (ignoring the keepers) so the 'gap' is a lot harder to fill. Allowing play to continue whilst a player is down injured puts a team at a much bigger disadvantage and has the potential to encourage wanky teams like Burnley to go even further down the 'leave one on him' route of making sure the opposition stay down after a tackle.

Online paul_e

« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2022, 10:59:02 PM »
I think this is a good idea, as the article says the average 'in-play' time is about an hour anyway so you do't lose time from games but you remove the benefit of time-wasting.

I definitely think it's worth trialling, I like the idea personally. Didn't expect us to be bottom of the 'time in play' list though. I thought we'd be mid-table but then again I haven't seen us much in person this season.

Martinez taking forever to restart he game and the slowest throw-in routine in the league is what makes the difference. The latter drives me mad, watch for it, even chasing a game we take 20-30 seconds over almost every throw-in for no real reason.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2022, 11:08:49 PM »
I'd like to see more detail as to how this would be applied in practice. I can see the immediate benefits of taking the time keeping away from the ref which is a good thing to ensure it's correctly monitored and gives them one less thing to have to manage. Obviously it would also help with cutting out time wasting as a tactic.

However, I can also see the possible negative side as well, which is that it pushes the game to play one type of football; the Guardiola possession game. And those teams with the most money and therefore able to acquire better technical players are going to benefit from this more because the 'live' game (when the clock is ticking) gives them the greater advantage of benefiting from it. Teams that tend to beat your Man Citeh's won't have much possession generally and time waste as opposed to those who go for it and try to go toe to toe who get slaughtered. Plus, it could mean more of just one style of football, which I'm not in favour of. It may be yet another rule change to benefit the elite. That's my hot take.

Offline edgysatsuma89

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2022, 11:09:50 PM »

Martinez taking forever to restart he game and the slowest throw-in routine in the league is what makes the difference. The latter drives me mad, watch for it, even chasing a game we take 20-30 seconds over almost every throw-in for no real reason.

I'll keep an eye out for it against spurs although I won't be bothered when we're 3 nil up after just 10 minutes.

Online paul_e

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2022, 11:15:11 PM »
I'd like to see more detail as to how this would be applied in practice. I can see the immediate benefits of taking the time keeping away from the ref which is a good thing to ensure it's correctly monitored and gives them one less thing to have to manage. Obviously it would also help with cutting out time wasting as a tactic.

However, I can also see the possible negative side as well, which is that it pushes the game to play one type of football; the Guardiola possession game. And those teams with the most money and therefore able to acquire better technical players are going to benefit from this more because the 'live' game (when the clock is ticking) gives them the greater advantage of benefiting from it. Teams that tend to beat your Man Citeh's won't have much possession generally and time waste as opposed to those who go for it and try to go toe to toe who get slaughtered. Plus, it could mean more of just one style of football, which I'm not in favour of. It may be yet another rule change to benefit the elite. That's my hot take.

I'm not sure, the 'break up play' element of booting the ball into the stands, going down for an injury or making a few subs will still be there, the difference is it won't lead to loads of injury time at the end.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2022, 11:21:41 PM »

I'm not sure, the 'break up play' element of booting the ball into the stands, going down for an injury or making a few subs will still be there, the difference is it won't lead to loads of injury time at the end.

This is why we need to see more info on its' application. I don't tend to trust a lot of recent changes as they only benefit a few rather than the many (e.g. the recent proposals by UEFA on Champions league places in a few years and the 5 subs changes).

Offline Vegas

• Location: N Yorks (user name is 10+ years old and was only briefly true)
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2022, 09:02:13 AM »
It’s a much more sensible way to keep time, reduces the scope for teams to be cynical, and works in other sports. I’m in favour.

It really doesn’t seem to have any intrinsic big team bias to me - I’m not sure I even followed the argument above (although being sceptical of the motivations for rule changes is clearly a healthy thing).

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2022, 09:36:30 AM »
Worth a trial.

I’d also just let Physios on for injuries whilst the game continues. Works fine in rugby.
They should definitely try this.  Players will be a lot less inclined to act like a dieing fly if their team was down to 10 men during treatment.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2022, 09:44:16 AM »
No not really. In rugby they prance about in a corner for about 10 mins and than move to the other corner and take ages to get a lineup or scrum right. Football is not like that.

Offline olaftab

• GM : 12.06.2024
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2022, 09:47:52 AM »
https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/football-matches-shorten-60-minutes-trials-start-clock-stop-ball-goes-out-1561828

Look which prem team is involved in games where the ball is in play the least this season. Makes you proud.
Can you publish the article on here please?

Offline Pat Mustard

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2022, 09:51:28 AM »
With players feigning injury to waste time, I think there is an obvious solution.  Anyone going down injured and requiring a physio to come on should subsequently have to remain off the pitch for a minimum of 2 minutes - if they are genuinely injured they would be off for that time or substituted anyway.  If they aren't injured then their team is penalised by having to play with less players for a reasonable amount of time, particularly if they are doing it at the end of a close game.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2022, 10:00:17 AM »
Can you publish the article on here please?

Trials to shorten football matches to 60 minutes could take place as early as this month, i can reveal.

The Portuguese Football Federation (FPF) wants to test the format at the Under 23 Revelation Cup, reducing matches to two 30-minute halves but only running the clock when the ball is live in play.

For the matches to be considered official trials they will need approval from the International Football Association Board, who determine and control the laws of the game. A source at Ifab told i that at this stage the proposal had not been discussed formally or gained official approval.

If, however, it gets the green light, the FPF will commission a university to analyse the data and produce a detailed report on the findings, taking in views of officials, coaches, players and fans who are part of the matches.

It is hoped that shortening matches but stopping the clock for breaks in play such as fouls, throw-ins and goal kicks will prevent time-wasting, force teams to play more football and improve the overall match experience.

The CIES Football Observatory, an independent research body, revealed in February that on average the ball was in play during games in 36 leagues across Europe for slightly under 60 minutes on average in matches analysed since the 2018-19 season.

Dutch Eredivisie games have had the most ball-in-play time, with an average of 63 minutes and 21 seconds. At the bottom of the list is the German second division – 2. Bundesliga – with 58 minutes and 46 seconds.

On average the ball is in play for 60 minutes and 59 seconds in Premier League games – placing the English top-flight ninth in the table – while the Championship is fourth from bottom, with 56 minutes and 32 seconds. One place below England’s second tier is the Scottish Premiership, with 55 minutes and 38 seconds.

In some individual matches the figures can be far lower. In October, during West Ham’s defeat to Brentford the ball was in play for only 41 minutes and 33 seconds. And the ball was in play for a mere 41 minutes and 33 seconds inAston Villa’s victory against Newcastle in August.

The numbers show that teams considered to play the most attractive football tend to keep the ball in play for longer. Around midway through the 2021-22 Premier League season, Manchester City were the only team in the top-flight to have an average ball-in-play time of over an hour, recording 60 minutes and 33 seconds. Liverpool were second, with 56 minutes and 37 seconds, followed by Chelsea, with 56 minutes and 54 seconds.

At the other end of the scale, Villa were bottom (51 minutes and 26 seconds), followed by Southampton (52 minutes and seven seconds) then Newcastle (52 minutes and 42 seconds).

Analysis: Why shortening matches isn’t as crazy as it sounds

The ball spent just 45min 16sec in play during Newcastle’s win over Everton in February (Photo: Getty)
Critics of shortening games often reach for the argument that football is the biggest sport on the planet, that the Premier League is club football’s (and one of England’s) largest brands, and that if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it.

But football is not immune to time’s relentless disruption. Even the best innovators know they must adapt or die. Facebook is desperately trying not to become the next MySpace. One minute Blockbuster is renting DVDs to millions of people a month, the next Netflix is making them available online for a small monthly fee and Blockbuster’s entire business model collapses.

How the average person wants to consume football is totally different today from what it was 10 years ago, even more so than the 1990s when it was considered a fun weekend activity to walk the aisles of a Blockbuster store desperately trying to find a DVD among the thousands everyone would like.

During a recent conversation with Nuria Tarre, Manchester City’s head of marketing and fan experience, she explained that younger fans are increasingly coming to football via the Fifa video game franchise. And Tarre, who has decades of experience at the sharp end of innovation in telecommunications and new technologies, can recall when people were sceptical about the growth of mobile phones. Now it is a rarity to live without one.

“There are a lot more ways to consume the football experience when you see how younger audiences are interacting with online games today, even with Fifa,” she said. “For many fans, the first contact with football is actually through Fifa. That’s a video game experience. They enjoy it, then come to the real game.”

In the Fifa video game, matches last around six minutes per half; and when pros play, games tend to have scorelines familiar in real life. That’s quite a jump from enjoying matches of less than 15 minutes during which most of the time the ball is in play, to an hour-and-a-half when, for almost half the time, the ball is out of it.

At the very least, the technological and cultural changes created by the internet should give the brainstormers at Fifa, who ultimately control the game’s laws, pause for thought. If VAR is the way forward, should we accept that four to five minutes – around 6 per cent – of every game is lost to video referee decision-making, on top of all the other stoppages for goal kicks, throw-ins, corners, free-kicks?

What would happen if every club was forced to match City’s 60 minutes of actual football every match?

And why not explore and borrow from other wildly successful sports? Managers could have a limited number of time-outs to run special plays at crucial times, perhaps chasing a winner or an equaliser with seconds remaining. It could open up a whole new dynamic for the modern tactical masters – Guardiola, Tuchel, Klopp and whoever else joins them.

Look at the Super Bowl: on Sunday night the LA Rams beat Cincinnati Bengals with a touchdown scored with less than two minutes remaining and only prevented the Bengals from coming back with a stoppage in the final seconds. All four of this season’s NFL playoff quarter-finals went down to the wire.

Is it time football had a rethink?

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2022, 10:07:19 AM »
I hate the time out and special plays bollocks.  But I do see how a ball in play clock could work.  It couldn't really be reporoduced at grass roots level though, or if it was it would put a lot of responsibility on the ref.

Offline dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2022, 12:36:15 PM »
Football used to be all about getting from one end to the other as quickly as possible and scoring a goal, then some bright spark invented coaching.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal