collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: 60 minute football  (Read 4206 times)

Online edgysatsuma89

60 minute football
« on: April 07, 2022, 04:32:43 PM »
https://inews.co.uk/sport/football/football-matches-shorten-60-minutes-trials-start-clock-stop-ball-goes-out-1561828

Look which prem team is involved in games where the ball is in play the least this season. Makes you proud.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: 60 minute football
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2022, 04:45:05 PM »
I'm sure the initial reaction to this will be horror by most people, if it aint broke don't fix it etc.

But I think it is broken.  Watching players taking it in turns to go down with fake injuries, take 90 seconds to take a throw in or goal kick, pick arguments to disrupt the flow of games, trickle subs on in the last 5 minutes.... is horrendous.  Canny teams are capable of pretty much killing a whole half of football.

I don't tend to like big sweeping changes to such a traditional sport, but an independently controlled clock could actually save the game, not ruin it.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2022, 04:55:14 PM »
I'm sure the initial reaction to this will be horror by most people, if it aint broke don't fix it etc.

But I think it is broken.  Watching players taking it in turns to go down with fake injuries, take 90 seconds to take a throw in or goal kick, pick arguments to disrupt the flow of games, trickle subs on in the last 5 minutes.... is horrendous.  Canny teams are capable of pretty much killing a whole half of football.

I don't tend to like big sweeping changes to such a traditional sport, but an independently controlled clock could actually save the game, not ruin it.

Good point actually. There is so much blatant cheating and time wasting in games that you can pretty much guarantee that in five minutes of injury time, you might be lucky to get one or two attacks in. And we're just as bad as everybody else to be honest.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2022, 05:06:04 PM »
I wouldn't be averse to trying it out but on condition that you get a timeless "last play" and the game can't finish on a foul, only when the ball goes out of play.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2022, 05:52:02 PM »
As soon as a team goes in front, then they start running down the clock. The refs do nothing about it.
It is supposed to be entertainment, a sport. Emi is our biggest culprit and I hate to see it.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2022, 05:56:03 PM »
Pet hate of mine is when a team is winning and get a throw in, then they try to advance the throw in. They either get away with it and take the throw further forward than it should have been or they get sent back and get to waste more time, so they win either way. It should count as a foul throw, that would stop it.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2022, 05:58:12 PM »
Is Emi responsible for our last-place position in that table?!

I remember this idea being mooted years ago, by the Americans around the time of USA '94. 90 minutes interrupted only once halfway through, seemed too long and alien for them whereas they foresaw a more action-packed hour (plus opportunities to fit adverts and cheerleaders routines in during clock-stopping moments).

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2022, 07:16:57 PM »
Pet hate of mine is when a team is winning and get a throw in, then they try to advance the throw in. They either get away with it and take the throw further forward than it should have been or they get sent back and get to waste more time, so they win either way. It should count as a foul throw, that would stop it.

The law on throw in was amended sometime back in the eighties if memory serves.  The referee would tell the player where to take the throw from and if he didn't it automatically became a foul throw.  The rule of thumb by most of the referees at the time was an 'introductory period' whereby there was a degree of leniency applied for a short period of time to give the players time to adjust.  As far as I am aware that law has not been rescinded and is still the same.  I am open to being corrected on this by those more up-to-date on the laws of the game.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2022, 07:39:12 PM »
I have never seen a foul throw given for being taken from the wrong place so not sure about that?

Online dave shelley

• GM : 01.02.2025
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2022, 07:53:09 PM »
I have never seen a foul throw given for being taken from the wrong place so not sure about that?

I can assure you I gave plenty.  I concede foul throw's for any reason are as rare as hen's teeth at top-level football.  The first one I ever saw was given against Ivor Linton in the infamous FA Cup quarter final against West Ham in 1980.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2022, 08:07:39 PM »
I think this is a good idea, as the article says the average 'in-play' time is about an hour anyway so you do't lose time from games but you remove the benefit of time-wasting.

Maybe it doesn't work but I think it'swell worth trialling.

Online aldridgeboy

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2022, 08:36:48 PM »
Worth a trial.

I’d also just let Physios on for injuries whilst the game continues. Works fine in rugby.

Online Lastfootstamper

• GM : PCM
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2022, 09:25:43 PM »
Worth a trial.

I’d also just let Physios on for injuries whilst the game continues. Works fine in rugby.

Worked, not works. Now players go down in pairs, that stops the game.

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2022, 10:18:33 PM »
It's an emphatic no from me on this one.

Online Meanwood Villa

• GM : PCM
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2022, 10:36:04 PM »
We may well see more football played under this method so why not?

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal