collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 783674 times)

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #4335 on: August 15, 2022, 01:51:44 PM »
Obviously still a little while left, but with Carlos being out for the season and Bailey's league outings so far, our squad is looking mightily like the one that was so inconsistent last season.  I'm starting to wonder if the owners are looking closely at Gerrard, or it's just that their targets aren't willing / aren't allowed to come.  Or something else! 

I don't see what Carlos being out injured has anything to do with any of that.

It has a lot to do with the first sentence, don't you think?  Kamara will improve us no doubt, but that won't be enough to achieve what we all hope for in my opinion. 

I still don't get why you brought Carlos up. If you think we need more across the board, then fair comment,  maybe we do.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #4336 on: August 15, 2022, 02:06:33 PM »
I can never see why people think we would have been able to spend hundreds of millions when we had just come up from the Championship, but would be struggling with FFP now we have years of Premier League cash plus Grealish installments to keep us going? If we were gonna struggle with FFP surely it would have been the first season we came up?

Unless we are thinking about possible European football now and the UEFA rules on FFP are more stringent?

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4337 on: August 15, 2022, 02:16:18 PM »
I can never see why people think we would have been able to spend hundreds of millions when we had just come up from the Championship, but would be struggling with FFP now we have years of Premier League cash plus Grealish installments to keep us going? If we were gonna struggle with FFP surely it would have been the first season we came up?

Unless we are thinking about possible European football now and the UEFA rules on FFP are more stringent?

Nope it makes no sense to me either. Plus think of the FFP value of the Chukwemeka deal.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #4338 on: August 15, 2022, 02:21:08 PM »
Obviously still a little while left, but with Carlos being out for the season and Bailey's league outings so far, our squad is looking mightily like the one that was so inconsistent last season.  I'm starting to wonder if the owners are looking closely at Gerrard, or it's just that their targets aren't willing / aren't allowed to come.  Or something else! 

It has a lot to do with the first sentence, don't you think?  Kamara will improve us no doubt, but that won't be enough to achieve what we all hope for in my opinion. 

I still don't get why you brought Carlos up. If you think we need more across the board, then fair comment,  maybe we do.

My point was that now he’s knackered, the team is only one (very promising) player better off than we we were for large parts of last season.  Don’t see it being enough to realistically hope for a wildly different outcome.  But, there is still time of course. 

Online Clampy

« Reply #4339 on: August 15, 2022, 02:39:50 PM »

My point was that now he’s knackered, the team is only one (very promising) player better off than we we were for large parts of last season.  Don’t see it being enough to realistically hope for a wildly different outcome.  But, there is still time of course. 

He did only get injured a couple of days ago. At least give them chance to bring in a replacement if they feel they need to.

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #4340 on: August 15, 2022, 02:48:02 PM »

Isn't there leeway the first year you come up, dwindling in subsequent years? Last year we broke even but the previous two summers and this we've comfortably spent more than received.

The owners might also be reasonably asking what sort of progress we've made for their investment since promotion.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #4341 on: August 15, 2022, 02:54:52 PM »

I dont think its about closely analysing Gerrard. Really last pre season when Smith was still in charge we more or less spent the Grealish money. Unless they didn’t trust Smith and now trust Gerrard, which would be concerning.

There was a discussion on one of the threads a couple of weeks ago, along the lines of Newcastle are going to get better, especially next year and Leicester, Wolves and to a lesser extent West Ham, might be fading, so really this season is the time we must push on. Only signing Carlos and Kamara as shoed in first teamers didnt feel ambitious enough for a club and owners with ambitions of Europe, and now with Carlos gone for the season the recruitment seems a bit threadbare. I still feel we have a team now to compete, but if we really want to push on, we simply have to get 2 or 3 quality players in before the end of August.

Online dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #4342 on: August 15, 2022, 03:20:01 PM »
As someone (I think it was PW) put it last year, we always seem to end the window a player short.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #4343 on: August 15, 2022, 03:26:51 PM »
I believe - based on nothing more than casually observing transfer windows develop over the last 10-15 years - that we did as much business as was possible early in the window, but that every other player we have an interest in is either not yet available, or only available when their current club has a replacement lined up.

I suspect, like in so many years before, there will be a flurry of activity as we get towards the end of the window, and that will free up players for potential moves. Including those in which we hold interest. It also seems to be the case more for forwards than other positions that deals happen late.  In recent times, Benteke, Kozak, Hogan, Abraham, and Baston - all signed on the LAST day of the transfer window.  Which suggests we either had to wait for them, or they weren't our first choices.  Very mixed results with the players in that list, but I use it purely to illustrate how we do sometimes leave it late and how it's not always within our control to get things done quickly.

I'd be very surprised if this were "it" for our summer dealings. Our net spend this summer is about £15m, so I just have a sneaking suspicion there is at least one big one coming...

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #4344 on: August 15, 2022, 03:34:05 PM »
We underachieved last season because we were too open through midfield. Kamara looks like a very good option to address that which should both reduce how many goals we concede and help us counterattack more effectively. Just those changes could be worth 10-15 points over the season.

I  would like another option in midfield though because with Sanson and Nakamba looking unwanted I think we look light in there.

Offline KevinGage

• GM : 20.09.20
« Reply #4345 on: August 15, 2022, 03:39:59 PM »
I believe - based on nothing more than casually observing transfer windows develop over the last 10-15 years - that we did as much business as was possible early in the window, but that every other player we have an interest in is either not yet available, or only available when their current club has a replacement lined up.

I suspect, like in so many years before, there will be a flurry of activity as we get towards the end of the window, and that will free up players for potential moves. Including those in which we hold interest. It also seems to be the case more for forwards than other positions that deals happen late.  In recent times, Benteke, Kozak, Hogan, Abraham, and Baston - all signed on the LAST day of the transfer window.  Which suggests we either had to wait for them, or they weren't our first choices.  Very mixed results with the players in that list, but I use it purely to illustrate how we do sometimes leave it late and how it's not always within our control to get things done quickly.

I'd be very surprised if this were "it" for our summer dealings. Our net spend this summer is about £15m, so I just have a sneaking suspicion there is at least one big one coming...

Think it's equally likely that we had an interest in Phillips, Bissouma, Sangare, Tielemans etc but we were well  down their list of preferred options. A knock on effect of finishing 14th last season.

We have money, yes. But so do plenty of other clubs in and around us.

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #4346 on: August 15, 2022, 03:43:27 PM »
Somebody on Twitter mentioned earlier that our FFP might be an issue because of wages rather than transfer fees. He said we've added 4 players on £100k per week this year, and that there's probably not a lot of room to add another. I have no idea who he is or how he'd know that, mind.

Offline AndyB6

« Reply #4347 on: August 15, 2022, 03:49:11 PM »
Who are the four? Coutinho, Carlos, Kamara, Ings?

Online Sexual Ealing

« Reply #4348 on: August 15, 2022, 03:53:51 PM »

That would be my guess.

Offline RamboandBruno

« Reply #4349 on: August 15, 2022, 03:57:25 PM »

That would be my guess.

Digne must be on a big salary

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal