collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Douglas Luiz - Confirmed confirmed by Astnor
[Today at 09:34:17 AM]

Re: FFP by chrisw1
[Today at 09:32:44 AM]

Re: FFP by The Edge
[Today at 09:14:26 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 09:07:08 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 09:05:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Smith
[Today at 08:58:35 AM]

Re: Ezri Konsa - Aston Villa & England by chrisw1
[Today at 08:51:41 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by itbrvilla
[Today at 08:50:29 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 783656 times)

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #4305 on: August 15, 2022, 06:21:18 AM »
Goalkeeper, Defenence Buendia and Kamara are good enough to be around the top 8, after that we have a mixture of average, potential and inconsistent.
We need a striker and top midfielder to make the first X1 competitive at the top half of the table.

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #4306 on: August 15, 2022, 06:54:04 AM »
It’s still the midfield for me we have major issues with. One injury away from having to use week in week out a group who havnt been good enough so far.
Sanson ain’t in favour
Luiz - personally don’t rate - don’t see what he offers
Ramsey - young and form will fluctuate
McGinn - been poor for a while

None of the above have anyone breathing down their neck to take their shirt off them. That’s a major major issue.
We need more than any other position a top top CM. Not only will it immediately improve the 11 but will also improve the midfield squad by giving genuine purpose/competition for a shirt
100% agree.
Any developments on your previous post about us being in for one of 4 top midfielders?

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #4307 on: August 15, 2022, 06:58:07 AM »
This current squad is good enough to get 60 points.

Really??  This squad got just over 40 points last season,  have lost Carlos for much of the season so only have Kamara in addition.  But somehow we are getting 60 points?

I am with Vinnie re the midfield. We are a top 6 standard player in there from pushing on,  and up front Bailey is massively unproven and Watkins and Ings are top half players,  but not top 6. We often have claret and blue blinkers on with our players. Many are not as good as we like to think.

As for Newcastle and Brighton,  the difference there is they have a much more clear identity.  Brighton more so,  but I think they are hugely under rated as a squad. 

Offline LeonW

« Reply #4308 on: August 15, 2022, 07:14:06 AM »
This current squad is good enough to get 60 points.

Really??  This squad got just over 40 points last season,  have lost Carlos for much of the season so only have Kamara in addition.  But somehow we are getting 60 points?

I am with Vinnie re the midfield. We are a top 6 standard player in there from pushing on,  and up front Bailey is massively unproven and Watkins and Ings are top half players,  but not top 6. We often have claret and blue blinkers on with our players. Many are not as good as we like to think.

As for Newcastle and Brighton,  the difference there is they have a much more clear identity.  Brighton more so,  but I think they are hugely under rated as a squad.

I do, yes. I don't know how to link to another thread ('Summary of the season,' page 5) but I did a comparison of sorts between the last two seasons to show how similar they were and how it was realistic to reach 60 points this season. That would only be 5 more points than Smith got in his final full season. It's up to Gerrard to give us the identity that your Newcastle's and your Brighton's you mention have. Let's face it, I don't think you'd swap out many of their players with what we've currently got.

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #4309 on: August 15, 2022, 08:09:21 AM »
If you ask their fans,  I don't think more than 3-4 of ours are getting in their teams.  As fans we have a very partisan view of the adult of our players at times.  Newcastle as an example,  their fans would argue that possibly only Kamara,  Digne and Coutinho would get in their side.  Wilson is a more clinical forward than we have (on Villa form for Ings),  Botman,  Pope,  Trippier,  Guimares are all likely to get into ours,  Joelinton has been a revelation in midfield and we would all take Saint Maximam.  Brighton are a sum of their parts,  but Trossard,  Lamprey,  Dunk,  Caicedo and Mitoma from what I have seen would push our players.  They have bought very well in their structure and are then coached exceptionally well.

The point I'm making though is the teams around us are better than we credit them,  so getting top half,  or 60 points,  is much harder with the same group. 

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #4310 on: August 15, 2022, 08:18:15 AM »
I kind of get this debate if we’re here on September 1st, but there is still time.

Online Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #4311 on: August 15, 2022, 08:21:38 AM »
If you ask their fans,  I don't think more than 3-4 of ours are getting in their teams.  As fans we have a very partisan view of the adult of our players at times.  Newcastle as an example,  their fans would argue that possibly only Kamara,  Digne and Coutinho would get in their side.  Wilson is a more clinical forward than we have (on Villa form for Ings),  Botman,  Pope,  Trippier,  Guimares are all likely to get into ours,  Joelinton has been a revelation in midfield and we would all take Saint Maximam.  Brighton are a sum of their parts,  but Trossard,  Lamprey,  Dunk,  Caicedo and Mitoma from what I have seen would push our players.  They have bought very well in their structure and are then coached exceptionally well.

The point I'm making though is the teams around us are better than we credit them,  so getting top half,  or 60 points,  is much harder with the same group. 

Saying “if you ask their fans”  isn’t really going to add much though. It would be the same as them saying “ask Villa fans” but then you and Leon giving very different answers.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #4312 on: August 15, 2022, 08:27:59 AM »

I think Bruno G and (possibly) Wilson from Newcastle are the only players I’d take. Brighton, possibly Lewis Dunk. I’m trying not to be partizan about it. It’s just what I genuinely think (as Chris mentioned above). The players we’ve bought from summer 2021 onwards have largely underperformed and therefore subject to recency basis. Their output elsewhere is the basis of why we bought them and it’s up to us to get the most out of them, something we’re just not doing. Yet in their underperforming they’ve still got 45 points last season. That can be improved upon. Before even considering Kamara and Carlos, we’ve traded Targett, Grealish, Barkley and Trezeguet (in a side that got 55 points) for Digne, Buendia, Coutinho, Bailey and Ings.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2022, 08:29:30 AM by LeonW »

Offline ozzjim

« Reply #4313 on: August 15, 2022, 08:40:15 AM »

Saying “if you ask their fans”  isn’t really going to add much though. It would be the same as them saying “ask Villa fans” but then you and Leon giving very different answers.

The point being that we look at it and say our squad should get to 60 points.  Theirs would say similar, and not rate our players like we don't theirs.  Seeing expectations around 60 points with our squad as it is,  from a side that won 2 of their last 12 and only just got over 40 points is unrealistic and looking through very rose tinted specs at our squad. 

Offline LeonW

« Reply #4314 on: August 15, 2022, 08:42:50 AM »

The point being that we look at it and say our squad should get to 60 points.  Theirs would say similar, and not rate our players like we don't theirs.  Seeing expectations around 60 points with our squad as it is,  from a side that won 2 of their last 12 and only just got over 40 points is unrealistic and looking through very rose tinted specs at our squad.

I’m basing it on our performances in the last two seasons from largely the same group of players. It’s in that bit I posted on the other thread as to that points figure. Some other sides have improved, some have got worse.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #4315 on: August 15, 2022, 08:52:10 AM »
Linked to Jason Denayer as replacement CB; and also to Rob Holding (no thanks to the latter - should be called Ricket Holding).

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #4316 on: August 15, 2022, 08:54:12 AM »
We haven't improved nearly enough and it's still the same largely inconsistent bunch that we had last year. Watkins and Ings did OK against Everton, but I still think they're not the pair to really take us up a notch.

Online john e

• GM : 28.06.2024
« Reply #4317 on: August 15, 2022, 09:08:22 AM »
I think where I disagree with most people on this site is I actually like our midfield players and think they are good enough for the next level
I think our major areas of concern are centre backs and forwards

I think we have good quality in midfield but I don’t think Gerrard has yet found the right blend
But we do have strength and depth there and plenty of options but it’s important vital that Gerrard finds the right Formula

So centre backs is where I feel we are weak, every bloody corner every cross scrambling around like amateurs
Carlos is now injured but that’s no one’s fault obviously
Konsa he is no more than a back up and he’s not good enough for the next level Hause isn’t good enough full stop
That leaves us Chambers and Mings I like them both but are they a top six pairing Probably not

Watkins and Ings will always get you a few goals and will look lively at times are the next level players, No
Watkins is the player equivalent to Steve Bruce he will do something good every few games for people to say He needs more time and is going to come good but his overall game isn’t good enough it just isn’t there
But yeah I hear you cry he got two assists that’s what I’m saying he does just enough to keep us going

I like Ings But we need better to propell us forward
Maybe that’s archer I don’t know

My main point is I don’t think it’s midfield that’s the main problem, a decent centre half pairing and a prolific forward and we’ll be knocking on the door of top 6/7 imho

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #4318 on: August 15, 2022, 09:15:39 AM »
We haven't improved nearly enough and it's still the same largely inconsistent bunch that we had last year. Watkins and Ings did OK against Everton, but I still think they're not the pair to really take us up a notch.
Yeah this is a where I am, Coutinho is great on hist good days.  And the biggest weakness of Watk/ings its the fact it keeps one of Emi2 and Bailey on the bench

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #4319 on: August 15, 2022, 09:15:51 AM »
It’s still the midfield for me we have major issues with. One injury away from having to use week in week out a group who havnt been good enough so far.
Sanson ain’t in favour
Luiz - personally don’t rate - don’t see what he offers
Ramsey - young and form will fluctuate
McGinn - been poor for a while

None of the above have anyone breathing down their neck to take their shirt off them. That’s a major major issue.
We need more than any other position a top top CM. Not only will it immediately improve the 11 but will also improve the midfield squad by giving genuine purpose/competition for a shirt
100% agree.
Any developments on your previous post about us being in for one of 4 top midfielders?
The ones I know we were interested in havnt left their clubs yet to anyone

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal