collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 783676 times)

Offline LeonW

Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #4290 on: August 14, 2022, 10:57:18 PM »
I think the club need to be sensible. We all want stellar signings, but if they're not available or not going to come to Villa at present, I don't mind the club being more prudent and pouncing when the opportunities arise. The current recruitment team have already shown that they're more than capable in operating opportunistically in signing Martinez, Ings, Digne and diligently (like Kamara). It's frustrating that it's not happening quicker but there's no point in filling the squad with filler or to the extent that we have no room within FFP to manoeuvre.

Offline pauliewalnuts

• GM : 26.08.2024
« Reply #4291 on: August 14, 2022, 10:57:55 PM »
Very worrying that essentially from the side that finishes with 2 wins in 12, our only first team signing is Kamara if Carlos is out long term.  Forward and Number 8 options appear to have been shelved too.  End of the season there was much talk about Gerrard having a decent amount to spend,  but it's not really happened so far. 

I agree, nothing like enough.

Yet another season mooking around the arse end of the table beckons.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #4292 on: August 14, 2022, 11:01:11 PM »
well maybe it is time for the kids to step up and we coach some of the players we have into a cohesive side , just a thought

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #4293 on: August 14, 2022, 11:08:14 PM »
Very worrying that essentially from the side that finishes with 2 wins in 12, our only first team signing is Kamara if Carlos is out long term.  Forward and Number 8 options appear to have been shelved too.  End of the season there was much talk about Gerrard having a decent amount to spend,  but it's not really happened so far. 

Agree. 12-14th place again at best

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4294 on: August 14, 2022, 11:57:46 PM »
Before the news of Diego Carlos if we don’t strengthen with at least 1 or 2 more players in the next 2 weeks we will have missed a huge opportunity to close the gap above us. And with this latest news it is even more imperative. The teams above us for the positions we are competing for aren’t that much better. We have seen what true quality looks like in Kamara and he was a free. We need players just like him or we will not see the best of him as we lose games. Our forwards aren’t good enough and we need at least one proper midfielder who can challenge any of the current batch. Despite the win yesterday I’m a bit concerned.

Offline VinnieChase84

« Reply #4295 on: August 15, 2022, 01:00:30 AM »
Before the news of Diego Carlos if we don’t strengthen with at least 1 or 2 more players in the next 2 weeks we will have missed a huge opportunity to close the gap above us. And with this latest news it is even more imperative. The teams above us for the positions we are competing for aren’t that much better. We have seen what true quality looks like in Kamara and he was a free. We need players just like him or we will not see the best of him as we lose games. Our forwards aren’t good enough and we need at least one proper midfielder who can challenge any of the current batch. Despite the win yesterday I’m a bit concerned.

I’m concerned from the perspective of what they state the ambitions are v reality currently imo. They are all expecting minimum top 10 and even pushing 7th.
Given we’ve added Kamara to a side that finished 14th, I’d say expecting one man to make that much of a difference is verging on delusional.
I know for fact Gerrard wants more, only hold up I can work out is they wanting Guilbert, AEG, Hause, Sanson gone first before any more in

Online Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #4296 on: August 15, 2022, 01:03:46 AM »
I agree. Let’s hope that if we move them or not we still make at least one significant move. What we have simply isn’t enough.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #4297 on: August 15, 2022, 01:20:48 AM »
I expected,  after Kamara and Carlos,  that we'd be in for a couple of 30-40m players,  especially with Target,  Chuck and Jack money last summer.  I also thought El Ghazi and Davis were easy perm sales,  Ghazi scored 10 prem goals from out wide only 2 seasons ago,  so a newly promoted side for 6-7m would have made a lot of sense.  Davis too,  after Forest,  should have had a perm buyer,  although I wonder if that deal has eyes on next summer FFP.  Hause is a strange one as we gave him a decent new contract.  Maybe we can use Sanson to get that big Croatian centre half we wanted last season from Marseille.

Offline Rory

• GM : PCM
« Reply #4298 on: August 15, 2022, 01:31:30 AM »

Agree. 12-14th place again at best

That would be poor, in my opinion. I reckon we have a better squad than Brentford, Newcastle, Brighton, Bournemouth, Leeds, Forest, Fulham, Southampton, Everton, Palace, and on a par with Leicester, Wolves and West Ham.

We may not be world-beaters, but if we can't finish top half then there's something wrong.

Offline ozzjim

• GM : 30.08.2022
« Reply #4299 on: August 15, 2022, 01:38:34 AM »
I think you are underestimating how good a squad some have put together. Newcastle are decent now,  prob on a par with us,  Brighton similar,  Leicester,  West Ham still better.  Pale have done some canny business too this summer.  I would put us 9-13th ish. 

Offline Rory

« Reply #4300 on: August 15, 2022, 01:47:25 AM »
I think you are underestimating how good a squad some have put together. Newcastle are decent now,  prob on a par with us,  Brighton similar,  Leicester,  West Ham still better.  Pale have done some canny business too this summer.  I would put us 9-13th ish.

I respectfully disagree, Jim. I don't think we're a threat to the top six, but I do think we have a top half squad, if we play to our strengths.

Offline VinnieChase84

« Reply #4301 on: August 15, 2022, 01:51:42 AM »
It’s still the midfield for me we have major issues with. One injury away from having to use week in week out a group who havnt been good enough so far.
Sanson ain’t in favour
Luiz - personally don’t rate - don’t see what he offers
Ramsey - young and form will fluctuate
McGinn - been poor for a while

None of the above have anyone breathing down their neck to take their shirt off them. That’s a major major issue.
We need more than any other position a top top CM. Not only will it immediately improve the 11 but will also improve the midfield squad by giving genuine purpose/competition for a shirt

Online Brazilian Villain

• GM : 09.03.2025
« Reply #4302 on: August 15, 2022, 01:56:09 AM »

I respectfully disagree, Jim. I don't think we're a threat to the top six, but I do think we have a top half squad, if we play to our strengths.

I agree with Rory, I'll be disappointed if we're not top half even of we don't bring in any more before the window shuts. Having said that adding another quality CM would make me very happy.

Offline Rory

« Reply #4303 on: August 15, 2022, 02:03:46 AM »
It’s still the midfield for me we have major issues with. One injury away from having to use week in week out a group who havnt been good enough so far.
Sanson ain’t in favour
Luiz - personally don’t rate - don’t see what he offers
Ramsey - young and form will fluctuate
McGinn - been poor for a while

None of the above have anyone breathing down their neck to take their shirt off them. That’s a major major issue.
We need more than any other position a top top CM. Not only will it immediately improve the 11 but will also improve the midfield squad by giving genuine purpose/competition for a shirt

I agree, McGinn would be a perfect utility player, but never first choice for me, and Luiz is tidy but is a nothing player who does everything passably but nothing well. We could really do with a 2009-10 Milner.

There is definitely work to be done, but I do think we overrate the squads of Brighton, Palace, Leicester, West Ham. For me, we finished a couple of places lower than we should've done last season, and whether through weak transfer activity, mismanagement or shite player performance, a bottom-half finish this year would be poor, I think.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #4304 on: August 15, 2022, 05:32:15 AM »
This current squad is good enough to get 60 points.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal