collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 783939 times)

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #2640 on: June 30, 2022, 11:08:41 AM »
The only thing for a genuinely brilliant manager to do after having success with Villa is to move to their two arch rivals and relegate them.

Offline mike

« Reply #2641 on: June 30, 2022, 11:20:32 AM »
I'm not even sure he was the right person... another terrible decision - waiting months for Houllier, appointing TSM, then TSM2, then Tactics and Garde to finish the list of the worst run of Villa managers in history...

A list:

McLeish
Lambert
Sherwood
Garde
Di Matteo
Bruce

I've left out pauliewalnuts best pal Eric Black as he was only a caretaker.

The list is bad enough in it's own right, but it's scary to think the best manager out of that lot is Bruce.

It takes a special kind of stupidity to make those appointments one after another (although at the time, maybe Lambert was forgivable given his CV up to then.) Taking on McLeish after he relegated Birmingham is still utterly baffling.

Online Dave

• GM : 04.01.2024
« Reply #2642 on: June 30, 2022, 11:32:08 AM »
I'm not even sure he was the right person... another terrible decision - waiting months for Houllier, appointing TSM, then TSM2, then Tactics and Garde to finish the list of the worst run of Villa managers in history...

A list:

McLeish
Lambert
Sherwood
Garde
Di Matteo
Bruce

The list is bad enough in it's own right, but it's scary to think the best manager out of that lot is Bruce.

It's all very "tallest dwarf" stuff, but I wouldn't have have said that Bruce did any better with us than McLeish or Lambert did and the high points of their achievements elsewhere are probably superior to Bruce's.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #2643 on: June 30, 2022, 11:32:14 AM »

A list:

McLeish
Lambert
Sherwood
Garde
Di Matteo
Bruce

It takes a special kind of stupidity to make those appointments one after another (although at the time, maybe Lambert was forgivable given his CV up to then.) Taking on McLeish after he relegated Birmingham is still utterly baffling.

Lambert and Bruce are the only two that made any sense at that time, never mind with hindsight.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #2644 on: June 30, 2022, 11:41:33 AM »
As i posted the other day, Trez about to leave

Online VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #2645 on: June 30, 2022, 11:50:04 AM »

Do you think El ghazi will go too?

Online Clampy

• GM : PCM
« Reply #2646 on: June 30, 2022, 11:56:01 AM »

It was a bit obvious that he was going to go really.

Online rougegorge

« Reply #2647 on: June 30, 2022, 12:08:45 PM »

A list:

McLeish
Lambert
Sherwood
Garde
Di Matteo
Bruce

It's all very "tallest dwarf" stuff, but I wouldn't have have said that Bruce did any better with us than McLeish or Lambert did and the high points of their achievements elsewhere are probably superior to Bruce's.
I think that's generous to Lambert. He had a bit of success with Wycombe and only has promotions with Norwich from League 1 and the Championship,  and never achieved anything else anywhere.

Online Dave

« Reply #2648 on: June 30, 2022, 12:15:12 PM »

A list:

McLeish
Lambert
Sherwood
Garde
Di Matteo
Bruce

I think that's generous to Lambert. He had a bit of success with Wycombe and only has promotions with Norwich from League 1 and the Championship,  and never achieved anything else anywhere.

I think you're doing his Norwich achievements a bit of a disservice. Taking them from the bottom of League One to 12th in the Premier League in three seasons is more impressive than anything the others have done*

They wouldn't be bouncing around the top of the Championship / Premier League relegation fodder today without what did for them.

*edit - in terms of expectation and resources. Obviously McLeish winning trophies and Di Matteo's Champions League medal are statistically more impressive.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2022, 12:17:00 PM by Dave »

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #2649 on: June 30, 2022, 12:18:43 PM »
I think winning a proper trophy with the shite is a  major achievement. Taken on its own merits and ignoring the fact that he took them down the same season, of course.

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #2650 on: June 30, 2022, 12:19:49 PM »
The Villa job is a managers' graveyard full stop. Almost no one in our history has left to have an illustrious career elsewhere. I will happily be proven wrong, but I think the last one was Joe Mercer back in the 1960s and even he left us after suffering  a nervous breakdown. He did a great job at Man. City, but even now there are many people who will point to Malcolm Allison's coaching ability at the club as the main reason for their success.
My theory with this is simply that Villa are in a very small group of clubs that are effectively impossible to 'move up' from.  A manager who's a success at Villa doesn't need to move up, because being a successful Villa manager necessarily means that you'd be consistently in the top 2 or 3 positions in the league and winning trophies.  Anything like finishing e.g. 5th season-on-season is not considered a success - see MON for details.

So the only way you make a success of Villa is to win things, and by winning things then any other move would be a move down.  Or you don't make a success of Villa, in which case no "big" club is going to give you a job because you've already tried (and failed) at the best opportunity you're ever going to get.  You've been given the reigns of the largest of all sleeping giants - a club with complete dominance (in terms of support) over one of the largest urban areas in the country, and for many miles in any direction past that - and failed.
yeah 100% this

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #2651 on: June 30, 2022, 12:27:03 PM »
I think you're doing his Norwich achievements a bit of a disservice. Taking them from the bottom of League One to 12th in the Premier League in three seasons is more impressive than anything the others have done*

They wouldn't be bouncing around the top of the Championship / Premier League relegation fodder today without what did for them.

I completely agree with you there. Lambert was an exciting up and coming manager who played attacking football at Norwich. We sang his name at Carrow Road after all.

When he took over he tried playing exciting football, but he got lost fairly quickly and ended up in a massive rut of crapness. He should have won us the League Cup.  >:(

Offline sid1964

« Reply #2652 on: June 30, 2022, 12:29:29 PM »
Just read in "the Birmingham Mail" of our interest in Gomez from Liverpool £30 million+ fee, if it is correct would that mean that Mings is surplus to requirements?

Offline Dogtanian

• GM : 06.06.2024
« Reply #2653 on: June 30, 2022, 12:31:35 PM »
The Gomez thing has been swirling about for ages. Although I can see us getting a new CB if we shift one, I can't see us spending £30m on that position before we have reinforced the midfield.

Online Dave

« Reply #2654 on: June 30, 2022, 12:35:14 PM »
I think winning a proper trophy with the shite is a  major achievement. Taken on its own merits and ignoring the fact that he took them down the same season, of course.

I agree. The main reason I bracketed him with Lambert as having superior achivements than Bruce.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal