collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Villa Park Redevelopment by Clampy
[Today at 11:52:46 AM]

Gordon Cowans by Nunkin1965
[Today at 11:01:49 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by Nev
[Today at 10:25:19 AM]

FFP by thick_mike
[Today at 10:19:47 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Baldy
[Today at 10:14:15 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Ian.
[Today at 10:01:07 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 784321 times)

Offline N'ZMAV

Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #1050 on: May 22, 2022, 10:28:57 AM »
our XG is a little over 1 per game. Probably a combination of a lot of 0.2 & 0.3 chances. We need to create better and clear cut chances. Ings has missed a few recently.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #1051 on: May 22, 2022, 10:43:27 AM »
Personally, i’d like us to acquire Patrick Schick. He can play across the front line (including wide). Can hold the ball up. Has good link up play, decent in the air and is technically very good. Plus has a bit of magic.

Further back in midfield, Renato Sanches for his recovery pace, physicality and ball carrying.

Two excellent players but will be looking for CL football surely.

Offline ASHTONVILLA

• http://www.levitycropscience.com
  • GM : 01.08.2022
« Reply #1052 on: May 22, 2022, 11:04:33 AM »
Watkins and Ings have had an off season, yet Watkins still has double figures and Ings is doing well in the assists column. They will both do better next season.

I'd agree with that, and think they will have competition signed anyway, plus Archer and Davis offering something different.

However I would still take a big offer for either of them.

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
« Reply #1053 on: May 22, 2022, 11:21:00 AM »
This season has proved that Ings and Watkins as our 2 main strikers are not up to it.
If we are serious about challenging for Europe then something has got to change.
I agree - but we do need to create more chances - some games they're feeding off scraps.

Nah they've missed too many this year.

Ollie with that one on one v Wolves is classic case. Get back to 2-1 earlier and we would've got something out of that game and perhaps still have a chance finishing above Wolves so it was a really bad miss.

Ings the next week v Spurs simply couldn't sort his feet out in the first half which has happened too often this season for someone who was a good finisher for Southampton. Even v Liverpool he missed a decent chance first half. Finished the offside goal well but I think he knew he was off so relaxed a bit.

In games v top half teams you're not going to create 4-5 good chances very often so simply have to take them as Spurs expertly did v us.

That's why they're top 6 certs even in mediocre seasons and we're way off that.

Hopefully Archer can get a few goals early in the cups and get off in the mark in the prem as he could be a nice surprise next season given some of the finishes he's had for Preston.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #1054 on: May 22, 2022, 12:05:30 PM »
As I posted in another thread, against Liverpool, Spurs, Burnley and Palace (all at home), we had 63 shots. Now of course they weren't all guaranteed tap ins, but with that many shots we could and should have scored more than 3 goals.

It's also not hard to think of other games where if Ings and Watkins had scored goals they should have, we'd be futher up the table than we are. Ings not scoring a relative tap in against West Ham away and Watkins tamely dragging his shot wide against Wolves being two examples.

Offline supertom

« Reply #1055 on: May 22, 2022, 01:18:16 PM »
Ings has missed a lot, that historically he'd be putting away with aplomb. I'm hopeful he'll get an injection of confidence next season. He's struggled to get going with niggling injuries and form, but has still created a few. He works very hard too. I like him a lot, but sentiment gets you nowhere. He's 30 soon and if a good offer gets us at least 80% of what we forked out, we'd be crazy not to take it, providing we're buying proven quality.

I think at this point, Watkins is absolutely key to how we (will) play. Unless it's silly money, I'd not be selling at all. He's hit 25 in two seasons, so we'd have to be asking at least 50. That's probably not even eye watering enough to consider.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #1056 on: May 22, 2022, 01:26:10 PM »
Some wag on Twitter says we are to announce a new signing, free transfer, very soon.  Some ITK shite.  Probably Olsen agreeing to stay with the club for a couple of years.

Offline N'ZMAV

« Reply #1057 on: May 22, 2022, 01:28:21 PM »
Some wag on Twitter says we are to announce a new signing, free transfer, very soon.  Some ITK shite.  Probably Olsen agreeing to stay with the club for a couple of years.
Personally, i’d like us to acquire Patrick Schick. He can play across the front line (including wide). Can hold the ball up. Has good link up play, decent in the air and is technically very good. Plus has a bit of magic.

Further back in midfield, Renato Sanches for his recovery pace, physicality and ball carrying.

Two excellent players but will be looking for CL football surely.
both off to Milan apparently

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1058 on: May 22, 2022, 01:52:13 PM »
As I posted in another thread, against Liverpool, Spurs, Burnley and Palace (all at home), we had 63 shots. Now of course they weren't all guaranteed tap ins, but with that many shots we could and should have scored more than 3 goals.

It's also not hard to think of other games where if Ings and Watkins had scored goals they should have, we'd be futher up the table than we are. Ings not scoring a relative tap in against West Ham away and Watkins tamely dragging his shot wide against Wolves being two examples.

You've made me geek out a little because I wanted to see how we fit within the league in attack. So lets present some really geeky stats for everyone (feel free to skip this):

50 goals (9th in the league)
460 shots (10th)
160 shots on target (9th)
34.78% shots on target (10th; league average - 34.11%)
31.25% goals from shots on target (12th; league average - 31.00%)
9.2 shots per goal (10th; league average - 9.82)

So our conversion of shots on target to goals is a bit poor but even still every single one of those suggests we should be higher up the table than we are. Even worse if you dig into almost every stat going you get the same picture of us being almost exactly on the league average, by pretty much every statistic we should be 10/11th in the league.

I don't really have a point with this but to say that I think we can consider ourselves pretty unlucky to not be higher up the league and that gives me cause for optimism that we can improve a fair bit without too many changes to the squad.

If I could be bothered I suspect digging deeper into the stats would show periods in the season where our stats are far better than above and periods where they're really poor (such as the stat that got me started on this silliness) which goes back to the accepted fact that our biggest problem is our inconsistency.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2022, 03:34:55 PM by paul_e »

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #1059 on: May 22, 2022, 01:54:49 PM »

There's beena  lot of talk around that recently, I think it's coming from a comment by Gerrard the other day.

Offline cdbearsfan

• I still hate Bono.
  • GM : 03.02.2025
« Reply #1060 on: May 22, 2022, 02:08:16 PM »

I hate using these stats, but we have scored 50 goals and our "expected goals" is only 42.88. So it suggests our finishing isn't as bad as is often made out. Admittedly that's not all strikers, but, even so. No club scores every chance. Except Tottenham when they play at Villa Park.

Online ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #1061 on: May 22, 2022, 02:46:58 PM »
My take from those stats is that to challenge top 6 we have got to improve strike rate, accuracy and conversion rate. I do not think you achieve that with the same set up, particularly in the forward line.

Online Stu

• GM : 09.04.2021

Offline Gareth

• GM : 25.02.2025
« Reply #1063 on: May 22, 2022, 02:50:33 PM »
If you believe that Fabrizio fella Kamara is almost done

Offline Toronto Villa

• GM : 22.07.2024
« Reply #1064 on: May 22, 2022, 02:51:28 PM »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal