collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 792718 times)

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #855 on: May 16, 2022, 11:17:53 PM »

I don’t think Abraham would be worth the money we’d have to pay to get him from Roma. The money could be better spent elsewhere and at better value.

Luiz + a load of cash (not Matty) might swing it.
I honestly don’t think he’d come.

Offline LeonW

« Reply #856 on: May 17, 2022, 02:29:57 AM »

I don’t think Abraham would be worth the money we’d have to pay to get him from Roma. The money could be better spent elsewhere and at better value.

I think Mourinho quite likes Luiz. But the money would be high for Tammy. I’ve always had my doubts about Tammy as a top level striker. Plus he’s very much a down the middle type. For next season I think we need more variety. Someone who could play wide and through the middle and can hold the ball up. Definitely need someone who offers more aerial threat and can link the play. As we saw on Saturday, we need to be able switch up if the diamond isn't working but not necessarily with making a sub.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2022, 02:38:18 AM by LeonW »

Offline LeonW

« Reply #857 on: May 17, 2022, 02:32:23 AM »

I think its sentimental value with Tammy, looking back to glories of 2019. But that ship has sailed. If he hadnt played for us so well previously im not sure we’d be on about him more than a range of other strikers playing here or abroad.

Agreed.

Offline CT Villan

« Reply #858 on: May 17, 2022, 02:54:55 AM »
Some of the names linked suggest somebody has been messing with a ouija board and managed to snag Deadly's 2022 AGM transfer target list from beyond the ether.

Offline nigel

« Reply #859 on: May 17, 2022, 08:19:07 AM »

I think Mourinho quite likes Luiz. But the money would be high for Tammy. I’ve always had my doubts about Tammy as a top level striker. Plus he’s very much a down the middle type. For next season I think we need more variety. Someone who could play wide and through the middle and can hold the ball up. Definitely need someone who offers more aerial threat and can link the play. As we saw on Saturday, we need to be able switch up if the diamond isn't working but not necessarily with making a sub.

I don’t know about now, but when he was with us he seemed to play across the front line.
This is why I always thought he and Watkins could play together, as Ollie can play across the line, too, creating a very mobile front line

That said, although I’d love to see him back, it probably is sentimental memories.
Plus, I think they’d be looking at £70m+

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #860 on: May 17, 2022, 08:21:52 AM »
Are they looking for anything?  I thought he was smashing it there and they love him and he loves them?  I'm not sure why either side would want him to leave?

Offline nigel

« Reply #861 on: May 17, 2022, 08:36:48 AM »
Are they looking for anything?  I thought he was smashing it there and they love him and he loves them?  I'm not sure why either side would want him to leave?

I agree, but, happy or not, you know that everyone has a price.
If Roma were offered £70m, by anyone, I’m pretty sure they’d be tempted.

Online Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #862 on: May 17, 2022, 08:47:00 AM »
Yeah I think we should have gone for Tammy rather than Ings made much more sense in many ways

Things Ings came from us trying to get JWP and then saying - ok then whose your next best player

I’m sure Tammy said somewhere when he was with us he liked coming in from channels but I might have mis remembered

Anyway - think that ship has sailed

Offline Clark W Griswold

« Reply #863 on: May 17, 2022, 09:55:40 AM »
No way i'd swap Watkins for Abraham, even a straight swap. Abraham was a cracking finisher but offered little else. I'd take him and Suarez as competition for Ings and Watkins though at the right price.

Offline Marlon From Bearwood

« Reply #864 on: May 17, 2022, 10:23:18 AM »
I heard we were very close to signing Tammy instead of Ings last summer but the deal collapsed as we wouldn’t agree to Chelsea’s insistence on a buyback clause. Roma were fine with it.

Offline Matt C

• GM : 18.06.2020
« Reply #865 on: May 17, 2022, 12:58:26 PM »
To be fair, we’d probably had enough with clauses by that point.

Offline chrisw1

« Reply #866 on: May 17, 2022, 01:05:21 PM »
To be fair, we’d probably had enough with clauses by that point.
Yep, fans would have been furious if we'd signed up to having to release him back if he did well. The Luiz buy back clause gave people enough palpitations.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #867 on: May 17, 2022, 01:08:29 PM »
Considering they paid £34m a year ago, Roma would probably want £50m+ to let Abraham go, and I'm not sure he's worth that much?  Yes, he's scored 15 goals this season for Roma, which is nice work in a debut season, but is he really going to come here and do 20+ in the Premier League?  It's not my money, and he'd improve our squad, but if we're really sitting on £50-60m budget for a 'striker', I think we could do better.

The one thing that might tempt them - and Tammy - is that Roma aren't in the Champions League next season.  They're in Europe, but not at the top table, so there might be some temptation there?

Online London Villan

• GM : 27.05.2019
« Reply #868 on: May 17, 2022, 01:12:15 PM »
Realistically, who would be in the frame as a striker?

Experienced
Good injury record
Scored at different levels
Physical
+£50m

It won't be a long list.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #869 on: May 17, 2022, 01:27:05 PM »
Realistically, who would be in the frame as a striker?

Experienced
Good injury record
Scored at different levels
Physical
+£50m

It won't be a long list.

I suspect that's what has led to the repeated Suarez links.  He gives us a year, while either one of our homegrown products develops well enough to be a proper first-team option, or it's long enough to find someone else out there more long-term.  If not him, I suspect a reasonably high-profile Bosman as a stop-gap is likely.

I'm sure if someone becomes available we'd be interested, but with Kane and Salah looking settled, and Haaland already with Man City, and Mbappe to Real, I don't expect much of a centre-forward merry-go-round this summer. The one wild-card is Dybala from Juventus, depending on where he goes, it might kick things off a bit with the availability of first-choice strikers.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal