collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Recent Posts

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Sexual Ealing
[Today at 11:25:52 AM]

Re: FFP by FatSam
[Today at 11:23:15 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by LeeB
[Today at 11:20:10 AM]

Re: FFP by Duncan Shaw
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: UEFA Europa Conference League-Knockout stages (Lille) by curiousorange
[Today at 11:19:49 AM]

Re: Other Games - 2023/24 by Nev
[Today at 11:13:40 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Nev
[Today at 11:12:18 AM]

Re: FFP by Nev
[Today at 11:04:06 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 783690 times)

Offline PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #690 on: May 11, 2022, 09:55:29 AM »
Konsa is worrying me more at the moment. It was like when he shoved Jota in the corner, that was just poor decision making. He lacks calmness at the moment.

Online LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #691 on: May 11, 2022, 10:06:07 AM »
Konsa is worrying me more at the moment. It was like when he shoved Jota in the corner, that was just poor decision making. He lacks calmness at the moment.

There was one in the second half with Jota where he got the foul, luckily, because he'd got himself in the wrong position unnecessarily.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #692 on: May 11, 2022, 10:18:47 AM »
The central defence needs improving. I don't think we'll replace both, so on that basis I think Konsa is the one who has most to worry about for his spot.

Offline Smithy

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #693 on: May 11, 2022, 10:33:01 AM »
The central defence needs improving. I don't think we'll replace both, so on that basis I think Konsa is the one who has most to worry about for his spot.

Agreed, added to the fact that left-sided centre halves are much harder to acquire suggests Mings is the safer of the two, for now.  It's a shame, because when we first got promoted, and even more so last year, Konsa looked so calm and assured, and you always backed him in a 1-on-1 situation, but he seems to have gone backwards this season. 

I wonder if it's "feeling" a bit more exposed now, given our full-backs are so much higher up the pitch on average.  Maybe he plays better when he's part of a flatter more traditional back four? I also wonder if it's due to losing the influence of John Terry - you have to wonder how much influence he had on the development of our centre-halves specifically, given the 1-to-1 coaching they could have got from him?  Or maybe he's just hit his ceiling. 

Hopefully the coaching staff have a good idea on whether it's just temporary poor form, or if he's peaked and we need better.  He's still only 24, which in centre-half terms is still quite young.  Virgil Van Dijk was still playing for Celtic at 24.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #694 on: May 11, 2022, 10:41:56 AM »
What happened to that calm self assured Konsa that  used to play for us?

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #695 on: May 11, 2022, 10:56:01 AM »

Agreed, added to the fact that left-sided centre halves are much harder to acquire suggests Mings is the safer of the two, for now.  It's a shame, because when we first got promoted, and even more so last year, Konsa looked so calm and assured, and you always backed him in a 1-on-1 situation, but he seems to have gone backwards this season. 

I wonder if it's "feeling" a bit more exposed now, given our full-backs are so much higher up the pitch on average.  Maybe he plays better when he's part of a flatter more traditional back four? I also wonder if it's due to losing the influence of John Terry - you have to wonder how much influence he had on the development of our centre-halves specifically, given the 1-to-1 coaching they could have got from him?  Or maybe he's just hit his ceiling. 

Hopefully the coaching staff have a good idea on whether it's just temporary poor form, or if he's peaked and we need better.  He's still only 24, which in centre-half terms is still quite young.  Virgil Van Dijk was still playing for Celtic at 24.

I don't think that's it because he was really poor at the start of the season when the fullbacks weren't pushing so high.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #696 on: May 11, 2022, 11:12:44 AM »
I reckon he'll want this season to end and that he will be way better next. I hope it's with us because I like his attitude, however, given he's lost his place to Chambers a couple of times I suspect it won't be.

Offline brontebilly

• GM : 09.06.2024
« Reply #697 on: May 11, 2022, 01:28:19 PM »
To be fair to Gerrard, he has already said something along the lines of looking forward to getting Konsa going again in pre season. It was only a matter of months ago that the common view on here was that it was farcical that Konsa wasn't in the England squad. He seems to be struggling a bit with Cash a lot further up the pitch and lack of cover in front of him.

But if he wants to progress he needs to get comfortable in that role. Matip last night got no support from Trent who played a lot of the game in the centre of the park. Stones or Dias at Man City have to do likewise regularly whenever Cancelo goes walk about. I'd back Konsa to come good next season and regain his best form.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #698 on: May 11, 2022, 01:32:07 PM »
Can you please stop calling him "Trent". He's not one of our players who we have a fondness for, and you're not Jamie Carragher.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #699 on: May 11, 2022, 01:33:52 PM »
Can you please stop calling him "Trent". He's not one of our players who we have a fondness for, and you're not Jamie Carragher.
Trevor Trent Derby?
The River Trent does not even flow through Derby.

Offline Dick Edwards

« Reply #700 on: May 11, 2022, 01:35:54 PM »
There's a lot of chatter lately about Konsa not having the quality to bring the ball out from the back but when he first settled into the side he looked to me like a very assured player with the ball at his feet. Hopefully he's just going through a phase where he's low on confidence. As some have said, a proper defensive midfield shield in front of the centre backs could make all the difference.

Offline VILLA MOLE

• a v f c
« Reply #701 on: May 11, 2022, 01:46:19 PM »

Can we add Pep to this please

Online eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #702 on: May 11, 2022, 02:27:21 PM »
Trevor Trent Derby?
The River Trent does not even flow through Derby.

Even Terence Trent D'arby does not wish to be referred to by that name anymore. He is now known as Sananda Maitreya. Heard him on a podcast recently, he came across as good craic.

Offline VinnieChase84

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #703 on: May 11, 2022, 02:42:16 PM »
Kamara makes a hell of a lot of sense given he can play CB as well. Would be a massive coup if we get him.
Will be him, Sangare or Phillips imo

Offline Footy-Vill

• GM : 01.11.2024
« Reply #704 on: May 11, 2022, 05:31:43 PM »
Haaland for €60m; Watkins for £50m?? Something doesn't make logical sense in these 2 prices.
I think - unless there is some amazing new player lined up to replace Watkins- we'll struggle to find a sufficient replacement for the dosh. Perhaps Calvert-Lewin is being lined up; I doubt it though.
If Suarez comes anywhere near to being a Villa player, I'd seriously to question the capability of whoever signs that one off.

Kamara makes a hell of a lot of sense given he can play CB as well. Would be a massive coup if we get him.
Will be him, Sangare or Phillips imo
Rodrigo Bentancur would have been an interesting one as would Bissouma but missed both those it seems seems so would take any of those 3 .
Feel Phillips stock has fallen though perhaps Gerrard could boost his abilities again.

I have a feeling Suarez is going to come as I think Villa would be looking to get some established pedigree names in as much as Sangare or Kamara could prove brilliant they won't excite and feel on top of perhaps one of them signing we need more than Coutinho as an established player being signed this summer.

Talking hope for household names and excitement.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2022, 05:34:22 PM by Footy-Vill »

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal