collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread  (Read 792971 times)

Offline SoccerHQ

• GM : 19.06.2021
Re: Summer 2022 Transfer Thread
« Reply #210 on: April 03, 2022, 12:26:02 PM »
John Percy in the Telegraph, Villa will push for Kalvin Phillips signing this summer but it’s complicated: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/04/03/aston-villa-will-push-60million-kalvin-phillips-signing-summer/?utm_content=football&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1648969089

He's going to be this summer's Smith Rowe isn't he? Use our interest to get a big contract at Leeds or go somewhere like West Ham if Rice leaves.

Can't see us signing him at all.

Offline OCD

• http://www.rightconsultant.com
  • GM : May, 2012
« Reply #211 on: April 03, 2022, 12:31:55 PM »
I hope we're not going to spend a chunk of the summer chasing players that we ultimately don't get while other potential signings move elsewhere.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #212 on: April 04, 2022, 01:04:35 AM »
In case the Telegraph link is paywall'd for yer...

Aston Villa will push for £60million Kalvin Phillips signing this summer - but move is complicated
Steven Gerrard is without a defensive midfielder and Villa believe the Leeds and England man is the player they need to fill the spot

By
John Percy
3 April 2022 • 11:14pm
Aston Villa will push for £60million Kalvin Phillips signing this summer - but move is complicated

Aston Villa will make another attempt to sign Kalvin Phillips this summer, three years after Leeds resisted their bids for the England international.

Phillips is emerging as Steven Gerrard’s leading target ahead of next season with Villa prepared to pay a club record £60 million.

At least one new defensive midfielder is regarded as a priority, and it is the position Villa have struggled to fill since promotion back to the Premier League in 2019.

Gerrard’s predecessor Dean Smith moved for Phillips after achieving promotion via the Championship play-off final, and the absence of a proven player who can protect the defence remains a big problem.

Without a defensive midfielder, there is often a huge hole between defence and attack due to the offensive qualities of players such as John McGinn and Jacob Ramsey, and it was again blatantly obvious at Molineux on Saturday.

Gerrard wants a player who will ‘screen’ in front of his back-four and move Villa up the pitch, and Phillips possesses all the qualities required.

Villa’s move for Phillips will be complicated, with Leeds determined to keep the talismanic midfielder and their resolve likely to be emboldened by avoiding relegation to the Championship.

Leeds had been in talks with the 26-year-old over a new contract but those negotiations have stalled, and Villa are ready to make their move at the end of the season.

With uncertainty over the future of Villa’s Brazilian international Douglas Luiz, Gerrard is also set to make a renewed move to sign Brighton’s Yves Bissouma.

Brighton rejected a £25 million offer from Villa in January and are facing the prospect of losing Bissouma this summer, when he will have only 12 months left on his contract.

Gerrard, meanwhile, will use the final eight games of the season to assess who can be part of his plans ahead of the next campaign.

Villa’s defeat at Wolves was their third in a row, their worst sequence of results since Gerrard’s appointment in November, and European ambitions have disappeared.

Another busy summer appears inevitable, with Villa’s ambitious owners Nassef Sawiris and Wes Edens already spending over £400 million since the club’s return to the top division.

Gerrard said: “What the owners have done for this club has been phenomenal in terms of the support, the backing. I don’t think they’ll change because of the dealings I’ve had and the communication I’ve had, they’re very ambitious and they want to win football matches, like myself.

“I think we are aligned from the top of the club to bottom. There is work going on in the background. My close staff all know where we are strong and where we need support, whether that be an individual area or a certain unit in the team.

“It’s not about talking about figures and amounts right now. It’s not the time now to say ‘they’re going to do this, they’re going to do that’, we’re off the back of a defeat and we have to accept that and move on.”

Villa could still secure their first top-10 finish in the Premier League since 2011 but Gerrard will be feeling a sense of frustration over how this season has fizzled out.

From the majestic display at Leeds last month to the first-half at Molineux at Saturday, the inconsistencies of this team are difficult for Gerrard to accept.

“I know I’ve got good players and the core of a good team but for sure I know there is work to do,” he said.

“We have to work with the team. The team has to respond from the three defeats, we have to stand up and be counted and try and put in a really big performance because next week against top opposition [Tottenham], a 45-minute performance won’t get us what we need.

“We need to find that second-half performance over 90 minutes. If we do it will give us a chance - no guarantees - but it will give us a chance.”

Online PaulWinch again

• GM : 25.05.2024
« Reply #213 on: April 04, 2022, 08:44:00 AM »
Phillips would be really good, but I can’t see it. Also I’d be a bit concerned about his injury record.

Offline Steve67

• GM : 01.12.2024
« Reply #214 on: April 04, 2022, 08:53:41 AM »
Interesting that he talks of a unit? Perhaps the central defensive unit? Or two defensive midfielder’s, not sure.

Offline Rigadon

• GM : Aug, 2014
« Reply #215 on: April 04, 2022, 09:50:46 AM »
The club cannot, must not, spend a couple of months on a player that doesn't end up signing (the double-barrel names from last summer).  I'm sure that they know this already.  Get the players signed in the first couple of weeks after the season ends and give ourselves a decent shot at starting the season well for a bloody change! 

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #216 on: April 04, 2022, 10:16:46 AM »
We got Emi in very quick last summer and that's worked out....ish.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #217 on: April 04, 2022, 10:36:52 AM »
John Percy in the Telegraph, Villa will push for Kalvin Phillips signing this summer but it’s complicated: https://www.telegraph.co.uk/football/2022/04/03/aston-villa-will-push-60million-kalvin-phillips-signing-summer/?utm_content=football&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Echobox&utm_source=Twitter#Echobox=1648969089

He's going to be this summer's Smith Rowe isn't he? Use our interest to get a big contract at Leeds or go somewhere like West Ham if Rice leaves.

Can't see us signing him at all.
Yep.  The perfect replacement for Rice.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #218 on: April 04, 2022, 10:42:28 AM »
The club cannot, must not, spend a couple of months on a player that doesn't end up signing (the double-barrel names from last summer).  I'm sure that they know this already.  Get the players signed in the first couple of weeks after the season ends and give ourselves a decent shot at starting the season well for a bloody change! 
Unfortunately selling clubs rarely play ball with this strategy unless you're prepared to pay way over the odds.

Offline curiousorange

• Chris Stanley's Bazaar
« Reply #219 on: April 04, 2022, 10:53:19 AM »
I'm sick of this link already. It probably won't happen and it's a stupid fee. I'd rather see us linked to two thirty million pound DMs. At least then I'd feel confident that Gerrard gets it.

Offline ROBBO

• GM : 15.01.2025
« Reply #220 on: April 04, 2022, 10:57:44 AM »
Me too, why would he come to us, he loves the club he plays for and there is no Europe attraction. Look elsewhere.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #222 on: April 04, 2022, 11:22:52 AM »
Not just the shoes, the entire outfit looks like someone who sleeps in a box in shop doorways, I'm not sure why you'd choose that as your look.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #224 on: April 04, 2022, 11:24:51 AM »
Not just the shoes, the entire outfit looks like someone who sleeps in a box in shop doorways, I'm not sure why you'd choose that as your look.
and i thought his hairstyle was ridiculous, Shocker.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal