collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: FFP by Chico Hamilton III
[Today at 09:14:08 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by dicedlam
[Today at 09:14:03 AM]

Re: Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Tony Daleys Shorts
[Today at 08:57:07 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Villan82
[Today at 08:57:00 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by PeterWithesShin
[Today at 08:56:31 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by langleylions
[Today at 08:53:52 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Pete3206
[Today at 08:51:36 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Ads
[Today at 08:47:18 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Should I stay or should I go?  (Read 20737 times)

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
Should I stay or should I go?
« on: January 12, 2022, 11:29:44 AM »
When you're talking about a new ground, or expanding Villa Park, or whatever, there's only really one man to ask. So we have.

https://heroesandvillains.info/2022/01/12/should-i-stay-or-should-i-go/
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 06:37:25 PM by dave.woodhall »

Offline Scott Nielsen

Re: Should I stay or should i go?
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2022, 11:32:18 AM »
Great stuff.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2022, 11:35:04 AM »
In my opinion everything he says just points to the fact that a new stadium would be the way forward.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2022, 11:58:35 AM »
In my opinion everything he says just points to the fact that a new stadium would be the way forward.

Yep, I agree, i love Villa park and always will but all of the problems it has can't be solved by building a new north stand and giving the rest a bit of a makeover. If we're serious about increasing both capacity and corporate revenue to regularly compete with the sky 6 then we need to do a lot more than that.

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2022, 12:02:33 PM »

That's because you want an easy drive in 😉

I think what he says is the opposite.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2022, 12:38:10 PM »
Great read Dave.

Offline chrisw1

• GM : 20.08.2024
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2022, 12:38:25 PM »
Finding a suitable site closer to the City Centre would be almost impossible.  I don't think the gas holder site would be viable - too much existing housing and businesses near to it.  That leaves you with an NEC type location, which just leaves me cold.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2022, 01:12:04 PM »

He says there are loads od problems, which there are are, and that leaving on full time can add an hour to your journey, which it does. He then basically says everything is as good as it can be, given where Villa Park is. The obvious solution if you don't want the problems is therefore to move. Home is where the heart is. I've got lots of happy memories of various houses I've owned, but it's the people in them and the things that you do that make a place special.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2022, 01:17:32 PM »
No mention of my monorail, cable car or tunnel solutions  >:(

Online Chico Hamilton III

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2022, 01:25:46 PM »
Stay

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2022, 01:27:55 PM »

He says there are loads od problems, which there are are, and that leaving on full time can add an hour to your journey, which it does. He then basically says everything is as good as it can be, given where Villa Park is. The obvious solution if you don't want the problems is therefore to move. Home is where the heart is. I've got lots of happy memories of various houses I've owned, but it's the people in them and the things that you do that make a place special.

He also says that better travel options with more bus and rail capacity and building a new North would sort it too.

If you find a home you love, you only move if you have to. If you can build a extension for the increasing numbers of children, and know you can get about ok, then do it.

Online paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2022, 01:32:32 PM »

He also says that better travel options with more bus and rail capacity and building a new North would sort it too.

If you find a home you love, you only move if you have to. If you can build a extension for the increasing numbers of children, and know you can get about ok, then do it.

This is more like having a 'wedge' house. It's brilliant and quirky and you buy it because you love it but over time the practicalities of the shape start to become a problem (because you've had kids and started working from home) so suddenly it's harder to justify staying despite still loving the place. A small extension helps a bit but the size and shape of the plot limit you to the point where it can never be what you now need.

The entire discussion is one of sentiment vs practicality.

Offline dave.woodhall

• Location: Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2022, 01:38:21 PM »
I think it's more reality versus theory. If you move, where to, how do you pay for it and how do you facilitate transport?

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2022, 01:38:31 PM »

But doesn't he say the solution is to improve public transport rather than replicate (or indeed endure worse) problems at a new site?

Offline oldhill_avfc

« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2022, 01:39:20 PM »
everybody else beat me to it!

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal