collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Other Games - 2023/24 by Dogtanian
[Today at 07:10:41 AM]

Please Donate to Keep This Site Going - Link on Left & Top of Page by Bad English
[Today at 06:57:08 AM]

Muppet Donations by Bad English
[Today at 06:56:08 AM]

Aston Villa v Wolverhampton Wanderers Pre Match by Allan C
[Today at 06:23:47 AM]

Recent Posts

Re: Gordon Cowans by Abbeyfealeavfc
[Today at 08:15:22 AM]

Re: All aboard the shuttle bus. by algy
[Today at 08:04:45 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by algy
[Today at 08:02:52 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Risso
[Today at 08:02:05 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:59:21 AM]

Re: Gordon Cowans by Clive W
[Today at 07:54:47 AM]

Re: FFP by Chris Harte
[Today at 07:52:57 AM]

Re: Villa Park Redevelopment by algy
[Today at 07:52:47 AM]

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Brentford 2 v Aston Villa 1 Post Match Thread  (Read 23385 times)

Online Drummond

• GM : 10.10.2024
Re: Brentford 2 v Aston Villa 1 Post Match Thread
« Reply #255 on: January 04, 2022, 12:08:55 PM »
I thought our tactic of putting Luiz on the the keeper at corners (and then us giving away needless fouls as a result) was bloody stupid and Luiz didn't look happy doing it either.

He'll do far better with a proper holding player in the middle. Hi, Ramsey, Sanson and McGinn can all play the '8' with a decent '6' behind them, Against some teams though, we can play with 3 '8's.

Jesus I feel dirty having typed all that number crap out.

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #256 on: January 04, 2022, 12:11:11 PM »
I thought our tactic of putting Luiz on the the keeper at corners (and then us giving away needless fouls as a result) was bloody stupid and Luiz didn't look happy doing it either.

He'll do far better with a proper holding player in the middle. Hi, Ramsey, Sanson and McGinn can all play the '8' with a decent '6' behind them, Against some teams though, we can play with 3 '8's.

You're right though. Yesterday Luiz, Ramsey and McGinn all looked too similar I thought.

Offline paul_e

• GM : July, 2013
« Reply #257 on: January 04, 2022, 12:28:15 PM »

You're right though. Yesterday Luiz, Ramsey and McGinn all looked too similar I thought.

first half we were 3 '8s' and 2 '10s' and we completely overloaded them, they were chasing shadows in midfield until their goal (which came from nothing). 2nd half they started using their wing backs a lot more to drag our players out of the centre but we were still competing fine, we just seemed scared to 'do stuff' around their box. plenty of times we had the chance to get in early crosses but we slowed play down and tried to get closer, which gave them the chance to get 6-7 behind the ball.

Offline LeeB

• GM : May, 2014
« Reply #258 on: January 04, 2022, 03:00:46 PM »
The ball he played into Targett, with his weaker foot, was fabulous and should have ended with the ball in the net and not passed back safely into the keepers palms.

I like Targett but he should be docked his wages for that, he just had to pass it across the box

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #259 on: January 04, 2022, 04:47:26 PM »
Do we have any "6's" in the yoofs that like they could cover for Nakamba if we don't make any moves for a stopper in January?

Offline paul_e

« Reply #260 on: January 04, 2022, 05:15:16 PM »
Do we have any "6's" in the yoofs that like they could cover for Nakamba if we don't make any moves for a stopper in January?

I liked the look of rikhy in that role last year, and he has just been recalled from loan.

Offline Virgil Caine

• Location: Bedfordshire and its not as bad as you think it might be.
  • GM : 15.07.2024
« Reply #261 on: January 04, 2022, 05:32:15 PM »

I liked the look of rikhy in that role last year, and he has just been recalled from loan

I'll stand to be corrected but I understand he wasn't getting any match time. If he didn't impress enough at a Tier 5 club it might be questionable to hope he would be ready for the Premiership.

Offline paul_e

« Reply #262 on: January 04, 2022, 05:57:51 PM »

I liked the look of rikhy in that role last year, and he has just been recalled from loan

I'll stand to be corrected but I understand he wasn't getting any match time. If he didn't impress enough at a Tier 5 club it might be questionable to hope he would be ready for the Premiership.

Absolutely, I don't think he's ready to play in the premier league but him or Iroegbunam are the 2 you'd think might make it. So the question is whether either is ready to be the cover for such a big role. Personally I'd sign someone and then let those 2 fight for the spot on the bench whilst Nakamba is out. If either manages to step up in that time then we have a new decision to make in the summer.

Offline eamonn

• GM : 26.07.2020
« Reply #263 on: January 04, 2022, 06:52:31 PM »
It makes you wonder what Dean's plans were for Sanson this time last year - Ramsey hadn't fully broken through yet but Smith clearly believed in him. Was it a bit of insurance in case Dougee went back to Citeh/elsewhere? Otherwise, the overload of number 8s (Meatball too) suggests a lazy, profligate signing strategy.

Offline Chris Smith

• GM : 08.01.2025
« Reply #264 on: January 04, 2022, 07:38:14 PM »
It makes you wonder what Dean's plans were for Sanson this time last year - Ramsey hadn't fully broken through yet but Smith clearly believed in him. Was it a bit of insurance in case Dougee went back to Citeh/elsewhere? Otherwise, the overload of number 8s (Meatball too) suggests a lazy, profligate signing strategy.

Wasn’t the story that the club had earmarked him for the summer but financial issues at Marseille meant he was available earlier?

Offline Beard82

• GM : 06.12.2024
« Reply #265 on: January 04, 2022, 07:45:04 PM »

Wasn’t the story that the club had earmarked him for the summer but financial issues at Marseille meant he was available earlier?
To me it always felt like a "Sales" purchase - apparently recently he was valued at 25m, and we got him for like 8m.  I think only when we got home from the store we realised we didnt actually need it

Offline paul_e

« Reply #266 on: January 04, 2022, 08:07:33 PM »
Given the shape we've played under both Smith and Gerrard signing Sanson and the emergence of Ramsey means 4 players for 2 or sometimes 3 positions. It's not exactly Chelsea style hording.

Offline Ads

• GM : 17.04.2024
« Reply #267 on: January 04, 2022, 08:28:52 PM »
If we can get a good defensive midfielder will give us balance. Dougie himself is a young lad playing out of position. He's said itself he's an 8. Having 4 quality 8s is needed. Marv as back up for the new boy and that's a good balanced midfield.

As an aside, Brentford are doing what they must, but Christ they're an ugly side these days.

Offline dcdavecollett

« Reply #268 on: January 10, 2022, 12:00:08 AM »
Part of Dougie's problems, apart from being played out of position, is that he hasn't had a proper summer break since he joined us.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal