collapse collapse

Please donate to help towards the costs of keeping this site going. Thank You.

Recent Topics

Follow us on...

Author Topic: Brentford 2 v Aston Villa 1 Post Match Thread  (Read 23706 times)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
Re: Brentford 2 v Aston Villa 1 Post Match Thread
« Reply #225 on: January 03, 2022, 09:36:29 AM »
I think it’s always hard to comment on coaches when in reality we see so little of what they do. Have to just trust that the manager feels they are contributing really.

We’ve also, off the top of my head, scored three goals and conceded none from set pieces in the last eight games so, from that very basic metric, it seems like he is making at least a reasonable contribution.

Luiz does my head in. He's got loads of talent, and of course he's still young, but he seems to have reached a plateau at the moment. He's not affecting games positively and just sorts of flits around, not doing anything much.

Offline WarszaVillan

• GM : 06.10.2023
« Reply #226 on: January 03, 2022, 10:06:09 AM »
I think it’s always hard to comment on coaches when in reality we see so little of what they do. Have to just trust that the manager feels they are contributing really.

We’ve also, off the top of my head, scored three goals and conceded none from set pieces in the last eight games so, from that very basic metric, it seems like he is making at least a reasonable contribution.

Luiz does my head in. He's got loads of talent, and of course he's still young, but he seems to have reached a plateau at the moment. He's not affecting games positively and just sorts of flits around, not doing anything much.

He seemed to play better when Nakamba was in the team.  He's a competent but not great holding midfielder, he's much better when he's pushed forward more. I wish he'd start shooting again, he scored a couple of crackers when he first came.

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #227 on: January 03, 2022, 10:07:59 AM »

He seemed to play better when Nakamba was in the team.  He's a competent but not great holding midfielder, he's much better when he's pushed forward more. I wish he'd start shooting again, he scored a couple of crackers when he first came.
Last season him and Nakamba were awful as the holding 2

Offline andyh

• GM : May, 2012
« Reply #228 on: January 03, 2022, 10:23:03 AM »

I was moaning about luiz during the game.
He has this knack of either getting in the way when we have the ball, or being in position to win the ball but not actually succeeding.
When he is on form he is great and he looks the real deal, the problem is that he isn’t on form very often.
And I don’t think his age is a consideration. He’s been playing first team football for years. He is extremely experienced and should be approaching his peak years now.

Offline nick harper

• GM : Feb, 2012
« Reply #229 on: January 03, 2022, 10:30:42 AM »
He’s not a holding midfielder - he neither screens the back four effectively nor is a good enough link to move the team up the pitch. Both he and McGinn look much better pushed into more advanced midfield positions.

With Nakamba now out the need for a top quality DM has never been more pressing along with better centre half cover and a dynamic left back.

Offline sickbeggar

• Location: Universities are full of people educated beyond their intelligence
« Reply #230 on: January 03, 2022, 11:08:05 AM »
Predicted they'd turn us over so wasn't surprised. New manager bounce has masked some of the problems that are still there. We're not gonna go down or compete for a European place with the current team, and I guess the Manager and Club know that. Will be interesting to see how quickly they intend to turn it round. A few quality signings in January would show there's an urgency perhaps.

Offline BC Villain

« Reply #231 on: January 03, 2022, 11:09:02 AM »

He has this knack of either getting in the way when we have the ball, or being in position to win the ball but not actually succeeding.
When he is on form he is great and he looks the real deal, the problem is that he isn’t on form very often.
And I don’t think his age is a consideration. He’s been playing first team football for years. He is extremely experienced and should be approaching his peak years now.

The fact that Nakamba has improved massively under Gerrard, while Luiz hasn't is very telling

Offline ChicagoLion

• Literally
« Reply #232 on: January 03, 2022, 11:11:24 AM »
He’s not a holding midfielder - he neither screens the back four effectively nor is a good enough link to move the team up the pitch. Both he and McGinn look much better pushed into more advanced midfield positions.

With Nakamba now out the need for a top quality DM has never been more pressing along with better centre half cover and a dynamic left back.
agree and I think we need to have better than Cash aswell

Offline Brend'Watkins

• GM : 20.03.2025
« Reply #233 on: January 03, 2022, 11:27:04 AM »
We need to turn dominance into goals when we are so on top. You just knew that if we didn’t it would come back to bite us. I still can not fathom how we managed to lose this game.

Offline amfy

• GM : 07.07.2024
« Reply #234 on: January 03, 2022, 11:38:19 AM »

The fact that Nakamba has improved massively under Gerrard, while Luiz hasn't is very telling

I thought Luiz looked fine playing further forward with Nkamba in the side. He isn’t so good as a DM. There was also less improvement needed for Luiz. Nkamba had previously looked pretty expendable whereas Luiz had already often looked like one of our better players.

Offline Mister E

• GM : 16.02.2025
« Reply #235 on: January 03, 2022, 11:44:59 AM »
agree and I think we need to have better than Cash aswell
Cash looks better without Traore in front of him.

Offline darren woolley

• GM : 12.12.2024
« Reply #236 on: January 03, 2022, 11:47:55 AM »
Disappointed with the result but had a good day out at there new stadium.

Offline wittonwarrior

« Reply #237 on: January 03, 2022, 12:12:28 PM »
Disappointed with the result but had a good day out at there new stadium.

Day out is always good, just not the match :-)

Offline Risso

• GM : 04.03.2025
« Reply #238 on: January 03, 2022, 12:15:01 PM »
Their stadium looks crap by the way. Why would you build something that looks like a rubbish 1980s lower league ground?

Offline Villan82

« Reply #239 on: January 03, 2022, 12:52:28 PM »
We need to turn dominance into goals when we are so on top. You just knew that if we didn’t it would come back to bite us. I still can not fathom how we managed to lose this game.

Been saying that a lot since we came back to the top flight. End up with a big fat zero points far, far too often. A sprinkling of hard fought draws would make a huge difference over the past few seasons.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal